Who needs toys? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Who needs toys?

When you can play with super awesome rocks instead?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlxnX-IRDEY

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx
Abby142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Inb4 someone who saw that Dog Whisperer episode calls em out on this video
Baillif is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Personally I would not let my dog do this. I worry that it may develop into OCD behavior like tail chasing.
To me it doesn't look that much different actually.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I didn't want to be the first to say it.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Personally I would not let my dog do this. I worry that it may develop into OCD behavior like tail chasing.
To me it doesn't look that much different actually.
I'm a little confused how this could lead to OCD behavior? Could you explain what it is about the video that makes you think that?

Jade does have some OCD tendencies: she chased her tail when she was little, but we stopped that real quick. She also chases shadows, but we always stop her and redirect her onto something else the second she starts. To me, this video does not show anything I would call OCD. She is taking a small rock and kicking it around with her paws, just like lots of other dogs do with balls or toys. When she is in an OCD state, we have to physically drag her away from whatever got her going. In the video she stops as soon as my husband walks outside, she would never do that if she was fixating on the rock in an OCD-like manner.

Maybe I'm just missing something, so please tell me what you see, but to me this is just a dog playing with a rock, nothing more.

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx
Old 12-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If it never escalates to the OCD state that's all it is, a dog playing with rock. There are secondary concerns aside from the what if of that scenario. You don't want her going to town on a rock and breaking teeth or nails or cutting up the paw. Dogs could get OCD with balls and toys too.

Sounds like you're on top of things if you already stopped the other behaviors she's had. Just making sure you were aware of the possibility it could become an issue.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baillif View Post
If it never escalates to the OCD state that's all it is, a dog playing with rock. There are secondary concerns aside from the what if of that scenario. You don't want her going to town on a rock and breaking teeth or nails or cutting up the paw. Dogs could get OCD with balls and toys too.

Sounds like you're on top of things if you already stopped the other behaviors she's had. Just making sure you were aware of the possibility it could become an issue.
Oh yeah I watch her like a hawk, she can get really bad with shadows and we have to stop it immediately or she will freak out for quiet a while afterwards...

I was worried about her breaking a tooth on a rock at first, but she really just kicks it around. Every once in a while she will pick it up and carry it somewhere and just lay down holding it in her mouth, or "hide" it somewhere until we go outside again. She is a nut

-Groucho Marx
Old 12-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My sisters rescue daschund is OCD with rocks. They got rid of every rock they could find in their yard, now he digs to find them. My sister brought him out on thanksgiving and the first thing he did was go straight for my parent landscape stones. I don't know at what point a fun game with a rock turns into an OCD behavior, her dog was like this when she got him. He plays just as yours does, but like bailiff said, you seem to have a pretty good handle on things, so probably not an issue.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Stones and rocks are bad for the teeth. I know a springer who has ruined his teeth on rocks. Still mad for them.

Know a pointerXwhippet who is obsessed as well. She used to drop a stone at my feet and bark for me to throw it. If I did throw the stone she'd have it back pretty quickly. I'd throw it into 1000's of stones on a beach and she always brings back the one with my scent. Totally annoying obsession. She should be doing something more constructive but owner was slacking. Took a while to train her out of it.

Much better to have an on and off switch and use something to play with, that you control like a ball, tug or toy. The dog understands the game is on only when you produce the toy.

Dogs have access to stones and rocks too much and if bored will go chasing rocks and thats why the obsession develops imo.
MadLab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Right, if you can channel OCD into an object you can control and not just the object but the interaction between you and that object you have a crazy valuable tool for obedience and focus. I've seen mals that are so crazy for a game of tug their jaws quiver with the anticipation. Does this count as obsession? Probably, but it has rules and it has a purpose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.