The Tales of Oliver Kahn der Fasan Suchenden - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default The Tales of Oliver Kahn der Fasan Suchenden

Hello. Welcome to Oliver's official progression thread. These are his tales as he leads his new life. If you are here to tell me he is not a bird dog, save your megabytes. I am aware of the doubters and haters out there. I hope you enjoy Oliver's tales and are open minded on a new type of job that, in my own belief, really highlights the abilities of the German Shepherd Dog. He will be tested, from an early age, on his ability to control and make use of his senses.

Yesterday was his first practice session. Introduction to concentrated pheasant scent, pheasant lookalike, training dummies, check cord, whistle and a more detailed use of the clicker.

Today was his second day. A much nicer day. He remembered a lot from our short session yesterday. He was able to successfully learn the 'bird' command, and was able to locate it up to about 15 feet. He is sitting on command. Working on down Stay was admirable up to about 7 or 8 feet. I was able to capture a couple pics after he was all tuckered out lol.

I will now be taking a digital camera with me being that's the only thing I forgot. So the pics will get better lol. And I will be able to get pics of him working. (cell cam sucks)

So long for the moment.

Howdy from Idaho!
Oliver Kahn der Fasan Suchenden
08/03/13
Attached Thumbnails
The Tales of Oliver Kahn der Fasan Suchenden-1380661956118.jpg   The Tales of Oliver Kahn der Fasan Suchenden-1380661985248.jpg   The Tales of Oliver Kahn der Fasan Suchenden-1380662002193.jpg   The Tales of Oliver Kahn der Fasan Suchenden-1380662026719.jpg   The Tales of Oliver Kahn der Fasan Suchenden-1380662054520.jpg  

The Tales of Oliver Kahn der Fasan Suchenden-1380662084885.jpg  
Jaythethird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

One of my husband's uncles had a GSD as a teenager in Greece that was his hunting dog. He was a rabbit dog but I think a GSD retriever and flusher is pretty cool. BTW Oliver is a cutie!

Lucky- GSD Rescue 2/16/2002
Thunder from the East: adopted 1/25/2013
Miss Chevy Cruz - adopted 1/25/2013
Daisy&Lucky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaythethird View Post
Hello. Welcome to Oliver's official progression thread. These are his tales as he leads his new life. If you are here to tell me he is not a bird dog, save your megabytes. I am aware of the doubters and haters out there. I hope you enjoy Oliver's tales and are open minded on a new type of job that, in my own belief, really highlights the abilities of the German Shepherd Dog. He will be tested, from an early age, on his ability to control and make use of his senses.

Yesterday was his first practice session. Introduction to concentrated pheasant scent, pheasant lookalike, training dummies, check cord, whistle and a more detailed use of the clicker.

Today was his second day. A much nicer day. He remembered a lot from our short session yesterday. He was able to successfully learn the 'bird' command, and was able to locate it up to about 15 feet. He is sitting on command. Working on down Stay was admirable up to about 7 or 8 feet. I was able to capture a couple pics after he was all tuckered out lol.

I will now be taking a digital camera with me being that's the only thing I forgot. So the pics will get better lol. And I will be able to get pics of him working. (cell cam sucks)

So long for the moment.

Howdy from Idaho!
08/03/13
Oliver is very handsome and BIG!! I am assuming he was born on 8.3.2013?? Wow, he is not even 2 months old and look at him!

I wish both of you luck and hope Oliver becomes a Champion Bird killer!!

I love my Dog but I wish I could let him loose,,,,,,he would have at least 25 kills by now. He has 6 and that is with me attached to his[extended at times!] leash!!!

Ciao,,,Roberto

p.s. check out the "Photo Gallery" At the time my Album[Capo "Cochise" Von Mazur] is about the 6th or 7th one down. One pic. he has a Ground Hog in his mouth!! It was a tag team effort!!

Capo "Cochise" Mazur- b.12.26.2010- Siberian Husky
Cochise Von Mazur- 5.27.82-5.20.97-GSD/Malamute
Baron Von Mazur- 6.5.65-7.20.77-GSD
capolini1226 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That third picture, the dog is clearly saying:

Uhm, like yeah, I am NOT a bird dog... But anything for you, Dad"

Happy hunting.

I am hoping it works out. If it does, I might convince Dad to have another one. Since Cujo passed a little before Christmas last year, he has been holding out. Mom is sick. Dad would have to do most of the work. He just doesn't want to lose another one. Losing Cujo was hard on everyone. Even Gwennie who is now almost 2.5 (should have been two in the end of June) talks about and remembers Cujo. The other day he made a mention of maybe getting a border collie -- uhg! My parents aren't nearly active enough to keep a border collie. It would be totally nutso in no time.

My dad had Pip, the English setter, and put him on birds. He set on a pheasant his first time out. He was crazy and would run run run, but then my dad would get a stick, and finally he would start hunting good for about 20 minutes. Then he would walk behind my dad all tired out. But he loved to hunt. He would get birdy and set on grouse and pheasant and even a turkey -- what a nutjob.

Now if I can tell dad that GSDs can be taught to hunt birds... Eh! Dad's shoulders will probably never take a shotgun kick again.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Good luck! I was considering purchasing a GSP for gun dog training, but always wanted to do it with a GSD. If your successful I may give it a shot. Going to do upland or water?
Such shy animals are in all circumstances an encumbrance to their owner, who must be ashamed of such a dog, and a disgrace to their race. Under no circumstances whatever must they be used for breeding, however noble and striking they may appear.
Blitzkrieg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Don't know much about hunting with dogs but
he's a cutie!
KatsMuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Daisy- thanks. I am glad to hear it. Oliver's brother is a hunting dog as well, he is 3... Coming along nicely

Cap- haven't had a chance to check your album out. I hope Oliver turns into a great dog as well.

Selzer- I look forward to you having evidence to convince your dad. Borders are tough. My uncle breeds English lined working collies. Simply amazing to watch work stock. They are all whistle commanded. No old school 'outs' and 'aways'. Setters are amazing as well, I don't think Oliver will be setting anytime soon but I ight try some place work down the road.

Blitz- gsp are nice. Ran with a few. My only complaint is they are so **** high strung they just end up excitedly pissing all over everything! Drives me nuts! Great dogs though if you have the time they need. Oliver will be mostly upland. He will get a fair shot at water though, I usually only hunt the last and first two weeks of the season, migration moves to protected areas between those times. We will get out in a few fields for some honkers too.

Kat - thanks! I will make sure and post lots of cute pictures for you

Howdy from Idaho!
08/03/13

Last edited by Jaythethird; 10-01-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

I grew up with a great birder Brittany Spaniel. He lived to hunt. When he saw the truck tailgate go down he went nuts. Watching a BS set and hold is magic really, and when he got the command to flush he really had a blast. Shotgun fire got him amped, anything hunting got him amped really. Pheasant and grouse were our quarry, he always managed to find one or two on even the worst days.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brembo View Post
I grew up with a great birder Brittany Spaniel. He lived to hunt. When he saw the truck tailgate go down he went nuts. Watching a BS set and hold is magic really, and when he got the command to flush he really had a blast. Shotgun fire got him amped, anything hunting got him amped really. Pheasant and grouse were our quarry, he always managed to find one or two on even the worst days.
LOL. Neighbors have a nice Brittany. The worst part of those days is when you fail to bag the couple that are found. Dog just gives you that look like "are ya effin me man?"

Howdy from Idaho!
08/03/13
Old 10-02-2013, 01:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Oliver-"small boat" and "pheasant seeking"? Cool name for a bird dog. My father raised and trained bird dogs (his dog of choice was lab), cool training and sport. Have fun :-)
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.