German Shepherds Forum banner

A breakthrough for my pack!

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  FrankieC 
#1 · (Edited)
We've been having issues(as some of you may know) with my Golden resource guarding toys and food against other dogs since he was around 3 months old.

Well I have been working really, really hard with him and this video is the result of a lot of work and frustration. Granted this isn't a super high value toy and I still don't leave toys laying around the house but this is huge progress! He's never played with another dog with a toy before... Ollie(my GSD pup) has been such a wonderful addition to our pack! He and the Golden are such great buddies and it makes my heart melt watching them romp and play together, especially tonight when they played tug together for the first time! :wub:

Sorry the videos dark, we only have one light in the dogs section of the yard and blame winter for it getting dark so early!

#3 ·
Looks like they are having a blast. Congratulations on your hard work paying off. It's always great when you finally get to see the results of your work.

#8 ·
Thanks :) I still don't trust him and we've got some other things to work on as you know but it's no longer causing so much stress. We're looking into getting him a muzzle so he can play at the beach without me having to worry as much while we try to work with him.

#9 ·
I should say too that he's had palm leaves, branches and stuff before but he'd never let Ollie get anywhere near them, he hasn't bitten in awhile over a toy but he still would hoard them and not let Ollie touch them. So it's not like this silly branch doesn't mean anything to him!

Anyways, here is some proof that NILIF is effective! :D

#12 · (Edited)
Ugh didn't have my camera with me when this happened but yesterday Ollie and Sammy were playing keep away with a stick!

Sam was running around with the stick and Ollie was chasing him and then Ollie would grab it from him and Sam would chase him then Sam would grab it, etc etc... There was one point where they dropped the stick and I got up and was ready to intercept it because this was one of Sam's triggers to bite but he didn't it even with Ollie right in his face trying to get the stick.

If Ollie would have tried that a couple months ago he would have gotten himself bit! I am beyond thrilled right now with Sam's progress! :happyboogie:

#13 ·
That's great! I wonder if it's the size difference as the pup grows... the old gal my wife has used to 'ward off' Grim, but now she actually wants to play with him now and then, and hasn't been 'warding him off' since he grew. :confused:

#14 ·
I've wondered the same, maybe the difference now is a more established pecking order between them or maybe Sam heard me tell my husband that I thought Ollie's adult weight would be around 80-85lbs(Sam is 55lbs and Ollie is currently 41lbs!), LOL. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.