The old and the new... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 01:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default The old and the new...

Very rarely am I able to get a decent picture of my girls. Zena is old and grouchy these days and Shasta tries so hard to be friends with her. Zena usually wants none of it.

Zena was my very first PB GSD that my husband and I adopted in early 2006. She was estimated to be between 4-5 years old at the time. She had zero training whatsoever. She'd been a yard dog and as a result a runner. She'd been at the shelter a couple times and when we got her, we were her last chance. Obviously, it worked out because she's still with us. She's my father in laws dog now because being stationed on the east coast with all the humidity wasn't good for her ears or her allergies so she's a permant resident in Colorado.

Shasta is my girl. I brought Shasta home when she was 12 weeks old. She'll be three on May 5, 2013. As you can probably tell... I really am not kidding about my love of sables haha.

Zena was a good girl. She knows I won't put up with the attitude she gives the other animals around everyone else so she doesn't even bother with it. She also knew that if she wanted to stay in my room where Shasta was told to stay, she needed to be nice to Shasta. I've never allowed Zena to get away with anything and I believe thats why she turned into such a great dog because she had rules and boundaries that were enforced.

Zena is also a dominant female so the fact she tolerates Shasta says a lot. Shasta doesnt care who the boss is as long as it's not her. Zena doesnt usually tolerate other females around easily when she's just with my inlaws but she knows I won't put up with her being a brat so she minds her manners pretty well. I keep Shasta out of her hair to the best of my ability too because Shasta can be a bit overwhelming sometimes and Zena has arthritis and bad hips so her grouchy attitude on that path is understandable. Dont need some young pup knocking the old dog around... though Zena can still kick some serious butt when she wants to.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus CAA 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013

Last edited by KZoppa; 12-30-2012 at 01:31 AM.
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 06:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Beautiful girls!

Lucky- GSD Rescue 2/16/2002
Thunder from the East: adopted 1/25/2013
Miss Chevy Cruz - adopted 1/25/2013
Daisy&Lucky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

very pretty ladies its hard to watch them get old and grumpy, I dont know why she is grumpy, it looks like she has a pretty cushey life
lorihd@comcast.net is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 11:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorihd@comcast.net View Post
very pretty ladies its hard to watch them get old and grumpy, I dont know why she is grumpy, it looks like she has a pretty cushey life

oh yeah my father in law spoils her so much its ridiculous. I KNOW I trained her a lot better than she pretends. I make it a point to remind her as well. Someone will tell her to sit and she looks at them like she has no idea what they just said and I'm all "Zena, I KNOW you're not stupid. I trained you. Do what you were told" and she grumbles through the entire process of the sit. lol. She is a dominant minded girl and she takes full advantage of nobody enforcing rules but me. She's grouchy because of her hips and arthritis. She's on pain relief but she had hip problems when we adopted her and then she stroked while in surgery to drain her ears from infection and she's just grumpy. Cant say I blame her any. Her two permanent house canine members are two hound mixed males who are total pains. The dogs could get away with murder here if I werent around. They're not really expected to behave or have any manners.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus CAA 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 11:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Awwww. What great pics!! They are both gorgeous!
-Pippa Von Neurotic Butt- GSD
-Tessa- 11yo GSD- Waiting at the Bridge. RIP sweet girl.
DharmasMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.