Well...this wasn't exactly how I planned things to go... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Well...this wasn't exactly how I planned things to go...

I'd discussed with my wife about us getting a GSD and she was all for it. I thought I'd made it pretty clear how I wanted to go about getting a pup...but my wife decided she wanted to surprise me this week. Meet Guinness Jakob:

Really needed a bath when we got home...

My hand is not small...he's just got hoof's

Obviously, I've got to work on being the Alpha when it comes to my marriage. A co-worker of my wife knows this amish breeder that's been breeding GSD's for "a while" now and he had a male black & tan born Aug 31st that someone had put a deposit down on but then backed out. When my wife went there, she met the mother who was an absolute sweetheart...very well behaved, great with new people. Guinness is an absolute doll, although (someone confirm here?) quite large for his age, if my scale is right he's about 42lbs. Taking the pup back just isn't an option. 1 - wife is in love with him. 2 - kids are in love with him. 3 - despite my misgivings on how this has come about, I gotta admit I love him already as well. My wife is now clear on why she shouldn't have done it this way, and I'm just going to do everything I can for him to make him the best dog I can.

I'm calling around today to find his first level of obedience training to start ASAP. I've got a buddy with a GSD out in Ohio that is putting his through Schutzhund training that is really pushing for me to try it as well. I'll admit, I'm not as familiar with it as I'd like to be, but it does sound interesting if I can find somewhere relatively near me to do it. My main goal with Guinness is a well-trained family member with perhaps an element of protection...and then to find out what "job" keeps him interested & motivated.
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Congrats! I love bath tub pics because the dogs look like they're in so much pain. Make sure you have the time commitment for Schutzhund if you're going to do it. The protection phase is the last thing you should be thinking about and just enjoy him as a deterrent. If he has what it takes for Schutzhund, then it is something that would be really fun to do depending on how committed you will be and how much time you have.

42 lbs for a 4 month old isn't out of the ordinary. It's large but not huge. I've realized 10 lbs a month for the first 6 or 7 is kind of the standard and then it starts to slow down a bit. Some dogs of course are less and some are more but in general its not the worst rule of thumb.
martemchik is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 10:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the quick reply! He actually did really well with the bath, I was surprised. As for protection..."protection" in my mind, from a dog, is simply alerting me that something is up so I can deal with the threat. Can you give me an idea of how much time is involved in Schutzhund? I'm glad to hear 42lbs isn't all that abnormal, I was a little worried about that although he seems very strong & healthy & happy. Just scheduled his first vet visit, he goes in Monday morning for an exam and shots.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Awww cute puppy. It sounds like your wife was just trying to surprise you with something you said you wanted. He is adorable. Enjoy him.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 10:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Look for clubs in your area and contact them. You should have plenty to choose from in central PA

United Schutzhund Clubs of America - For the German Shepherd Dog

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 10:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well I know it wasn't what you planned for, but Guiness is sure a cute pup!
Congrats and enjoy
Old 12-28-2012, 10:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't do Schutzhund...but its because of the time thing. The closest club to me is about an hour away. So every Sunday I would be driving there an hour and back an hour. On top of that, you're probably going to be there all day because its not just a "train my dog and leave" type of thing. You stay around, learn from more experienced people, help where you can, ect. Then throughout the week you need to work on things at home (not crazy time commitment, but could be if you decide you want to trial and get as many points as possible). Someone else can tell you about the exact time requirements but I've done some tracking work and even a short track takes about 30 minutes to lay down (and imagine doing that on a weekday).

I was extremely interested when I got my dog, but realized I didn't want to or have the time to commit to this. It does become a hobby and I applaud the people that do it. I have my own hobbies that at this point in my life are a little more important to me than Schutzhund, and at the end of the day that is probably what keeps me from doing it (I like my 18 holes on a Sunday).

The closer the training area is to your home, the better though. But make sure you get a lot of references on the instructors and the helpers. I've heard from more than a few people that there are some you want to work with, and other you shouldn't even let look at your dog.
martemchik is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

I think your pup is very cute. What was your issue with her getting one for you?
Switchblade906 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Several times in my life, I've had the experience that the "right" dog has a way of finding me, even if I was initially sure it wasn't a dog I wanted at the time...as the reason it came into my life unfolds, I realize what a special blessing it was that it did--and that it had to be this dog and no other. I have a feeling that will happen with you and Guinness.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Your wife did wrong. You certainly should have had a say over your choice of pup. And from the Amish? I hope she has learned her lesson.

That said....Kudos to you for loving this boy anyway. Sometimes we don't get what we want, but we get what we need. Sounds like Guinness has found a wonderful home. Wishing all of you many happy years together.
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.