Well...this wasn't exactly how I planned things to go... - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade906 View Post
I think your pup is very cute. What was your issue with her getting one for you?
I think some of my biggest issues were that 1 - I wanted to pick the dog and 2 - I was worried after everything I'd heard on here about back-yard breeders, which is basically where Guinness came from. I guess I just had all those warnings stuck in my head. I gotta say, I really appreciate all the positive responses I've gotten...thank you guys very much. Just to make sure I'm being clear...it's not like I yelled at my wife or anything, we had a really good talk about it all and she understood my concerns.

Personality wise...she couldn't have done any better. He does have some anxiety issues today, but I think that's normal. Last night was the first time he'd worn a collar or had a leash on. He does get anxious so far on it, but I'm already seeing great improvement just over the last few hours so that's a great thing. We just got back from taking my step-daughter to work, and he did great riding in the back of the Jeep. Last night, he did get sick on the car-ride home, but it was his first time in a car and it was a 90 minute drive, so that's certainly not his fault. As anxious as he was in his crate last night (even with me sleeping, sorta, on the couch beside him), he just went in there to lay down so I think he's starting to accept that too. I'm so excited to see how quickly he grows and learns.
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #12 (permalink)

Well im sure that you and your new pup will have a really strong relationship together. This is most likely not the last dog you will ever own so next time you will get to pick it out. The great thing about German Shepherds is that they will do anything for you and they don't have to be AKC perfect to be YOUR perfect dog.
Switchblade906 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #13 (permalink)

True...and really, the more time I spend with him, the less I care about not picking him out. He really is a sweet-heart and I think we're bonding very well already.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #14 (permalink)

Congrats on the new family addition. Yeah, it was the perfect situation but it seems to be working out for the best.

He is very handsome and I love the name.

As for the "element of protection", just being a GSD will be a good deterrent to most wrongdoers.

And good for you on finding out what Guinness likes and doing that!!
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #15 (permalink)

Funny thing about the name...I've always wanted a GSD, and I'd decided probably 5 years ago that when I do finally get mine, I was going to name him Guinness (yes, I'm obviously a fan of the beer). I dunno how many people have named there dog that far in advance of getting them His middle name, Jakob, just seemed appropriate since he's Amish LOL. Right now, all he's interested in is the back of his eyelids Here's a few more pics...

Meeting my son for the first time last night:

Not too sure about the noisy thing being shoved in his face:

More nap time:
Old 12-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #16 (permalink)

He's a really nice pup. Nice bone, nice ears, handsome head. I think your wife did fine. I'm a believer in the whole family making the decisions, but this one seems to have turned out well. Sounds like he has a good start at socialization. Now it's up to you and your wife to make him the perfect dog. Enjoy!
Marnie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master Member

Stunningly handsome dog. How does he do around strangers, kids? My only concern would be that he wasn't socialized sufficiently, or that your wife didn't get the full story and he was returned to the Amish because of problems in a former home. If he is steady nerved and outgoing it sounds like your wife picked a great one!
billsharp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It may not have been ideal,but it looks like you have yourself a great pup so far.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

Very nice looking pup! I don't have any advice on Schutzhund (my beautiful girl is most likely backyard bred, and just doesn't have the nerves for it), but I will say that these wonderful dogs will generally like anything that works that big brain. Sasha and I have a blast doing obedience work (not usually through classes, though the one 8 week class we went to was a lot of fun for both of us), so if your boy can't do schutzhund, or if you just decide it isn't for you, there are so many fun things you can do with him that are just as good. Again, cute pup!

NewbieShepherdGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

He's adorable
But his eye, the right one, seems really red! What's up with that? Allergies?
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.