8 weeks old... pure or not? Opinions Please! - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisgje View Post
He looks very GSDish. Does anyone else think his ears are bit small for a GSD pup. and his snout seems a bit thick to me. both my GSD's had much bigger ears and even at this age, a more defined snout. Could be the angle for the snout, but I think the ears are a bit short. No matter, he is beautiful. But no purebred GSD with a registered pedigree would cost $80.

No I think his ears looks fine, all GSD are different, my GS Bella looked the same as him at her age

heres pics when she was 9-10 weeks and now
Attached Thumbnails
8 weeks old... pure or not? Opinions Please!-577732_3361566052499_852629727_n.jpg   8 weeks old... pure or not? Opinions Please!-user65112_pic17247_1348182831.jpg   8 weeks old... pure or not? Opinions Please!-382820_4100127756080_1077576040_n.jpg  
Mary1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #42 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Rebble – German Shepherd Puppies for Sale in PA | Keystone Puppies
Since you are buying your puppy from an Amish puppy mill. Please, please, please, pay attention to the health and temperaments of the parents. I realize you could be out some money, or not since the puppy is still listed as available on the website, but it could save you much more money in vet bills later.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #43 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitosDad View Post
Good call, I see the mix up!

Sorry, misread that. My mistake.
lisgje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Rebble German Shepherd Puppies for Sale in PA | Keystone Puppies
Since you are buying your puppy from an Amish puppy mill. Please, please, please, pay attention to the health and temperaments of the parents. I realize you could be out some money, or not since the puppy is still listed as available on the website, but it could save you much more money in vet bills later.
Definitely good advice! I will for sure check out the parents and their temperaments. He said there is a registered health certificate and AKC registered if that means anything?
DitosDad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 09:48 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary1990 View Post
No I think his ears looks fine, all GSD are different, my GS Bella looked the same as him at her age

heres pics when she was 9-10 weeks and now
She was cute then and she is cute now! Great pics, thanks!
Old 12-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #46 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitosDad View Post
Definitely good advice! I will for sure check out the parents and their temperaments. He said there is a registered health certificate and AKC registered if that means anything?
What is the "health certificate"? All that means is a vet looked the puppy over and said it's free of contagious diseases such as parvo and distemper at the time of exam and can cross state lines.

This person has other puppies for sale in a different town under a different phone number. It's a common Amish name. Unfortunately, that alone is not good.

As far as the AKC, any two dogs of the same breed that have been registered can have their puppies registered. It means nothing in regards to health and temperament.

Were these dogs even xrayed and OFA'd? What about genetic diseases? is there a guarantee against HD/ED?

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #47 (permalink)
Crowned Member

They may be mixing up the puppies as well...what one dam produces may be anothers and paperwork fuddled. I'd be wary. And when you do go in for vaxing, please do minimal because these pups may have immune systems compromised.
Dr-Dodds-ChangingVaccProtocol
Old 12-28-2012, 10:15 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
What is the "health certificate"? All that means is a vet looked the puppy over and said it's free of contagious diseases such as parvo and distemper at the time of exam and can cross state lines.

This person has other puppies for sale in a different town under a different phone number. It's a common Amish name. Unfortunately, that alone is not good.

As far as the AKC, any two dogs of the same breed that have been registered can have their puppies registered. It means nothing in regards to health and temperament.

Were these dogs even xrayed and OFA'd? What about genetic diseases? is there a guarantee against HD/ED?
I know around here, the Northern Virginia area, GSD from a reputable breeder is at least $1,500.00. Some being x-rayed and OFA'd and some not. I think even with all of that, you are not completely in the clear it just minimizes the chance. I am confident this dog will turn out to be a good addition to our family. Although I admit, I will most likely be more selective with where I get my next GSD.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #49 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

I think though that the point with supporting a puppy mill*, is not so much what you get, but what you are ensuring will happen to the dogs who don't get out of there. It's not about us/the dog we get, but other dogs. That's hard for people to realize/understand.

Would you rather give $1000 to a dog that is in a place where the remaining dogs are going to be well cared for (and not saying all dogs that cost $1000 come from places where they are well cared for or dogs that come from places where they cost $250 do not)? Or are you okay with knowing that you are supporting an operation where dogs are more like livestock? Choosing a dog is really a good example of an upper level thinking skill, like choosing a college - there are many, many variables, and many things to consider in order to find a fit -- not only in breed, temperament, but also in values.

*if that is what it is - I defer to Jax!

Good luck!
Old 12-28-2012, 10:23 PM   #50 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
I think though that the point with supporting a puppy mill, is not so much what you get, but what you are ensuring will happen to the dogs who don't get out of there. It's not about us/the dog we get, but other dogs. That's hard for people to realize/understand.

Would you rather give $1000 to a dog that is in a place where the remaining dogs are going to be well cared for (and not saying all dogs that cost $1000 come from places where they are well cared for or dogs that come from places where they cost $250 do not)? Or are you okay with knowing that you are supporting an operation where dogs are more like livestock? Choosing a dog is really a good example of an upper level thinking skill, like choosing a college - there are many, many variables, and many things to consider in order to find a fit -- not only in breed, temperament, but also in values.
Jean!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.