8 weeks old... pure or not? Opinions Please! - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2012, 06:51 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

"once a pup always a pup to a parent". i like that phrase. your pup is German Shepherdish. where did you get him? did you see the parents?
welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitosDad View Post
Thanks for all for the comments so far! Its great to read what everyone has to say. Please feel free to post pick of your pups either young or old!

>>>> Once a pup always a pup to a parent!<<<<
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
"once a pup always a pup to a parent". i like that phrase. your pup is German Shepherdish. where did you get him? did you see the parents?
welcome to the forum.
Have not seen the parents, and found him on a site called keystone puppies.com under German Shepherd. There is also a German shepherd mix section next to the German Shepherd breed section. I found him in the German Shepherd section. So you think he is a mix then?
DitosDad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 12:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

How much does it cost to get a DNA test done? Is it even worth it? How accurate is that?
Old 12-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

I think instead of asking if the dog is purebred or not (and IMO, no dog is unless it is registered) - you might want to ask if this is a good place to purchase a puppy....:-(
Old 12-25-2012, 02:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

Theres no point in a DNA hes gorgeous!! he looks like a german shepherd and his ears are up!! alot of pure breed GS pups ears dont go up, so even if theres a slight chance hes a mix nobody would notice! Unless you wanted him in competitions or something, But to me he looks PB, big boned and sooo cute !!
Mary1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master Member

Buying a puppy in Lancaster County Pa, that's puppy mill central. Many Amish farmers raise and sell litters of puppies....they don't care one bit about temperament or health, the dogs are nothing more than a cash crop.

There are always risks when buying a puppy because even the best bred pup can have problems, but at least when the parents have health clearances and their temperaments are tested you are giving yourself a better chance! That said, my first dog was a siberian husky from a Missouri puppy mill who lived a very healthy 14 years, so you just never know.
PAM FGDCh Ianna von Sontausen UDX,BH,TD,RE,PT (4.26.1998 - 2.11.2013)
DunRingill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 02:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The puppy is bought, what is the point of worrying about where it came from at this point? If the guy sticks around beyond the customary initial hazing, when he goes to buy his next dog, he will probably get one from a different kind of place. The pup is cute. Love him. Take him to classes and train him. He will be what you make of him. Enjoy.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

CONGRATULATIONS ... Rico's darling ... can't wait to see some more pictures and hear all about him after you pick him up!!!
Old 12-25-2012, 02:30 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitosDad View Post
How much does it cost to get a DNA test done? Is it even worth it? How accurate is that?
It costs around $80 and the one we got was at least mostly accurate. We had a pup for awhile who was part of an unexpected litter from a registered Belgian Malinois mom and a mystery dad. We wondered if dad had been a pit bull and decided to get a DNA test. The DNA test accurately said the pup was 1/2 Belgian Malinois while the other half was 1/4 Briard and then 1/4 mixed mutt that was so mixed they gave us five or six likely "ingredients," lol. One of those ingredients was Staffordshire Terrier and one was Argentinian Dogo, and either of those would account for his pit bull like wide grin.

If you are curious about a dog's background and have extra money, a DNA test can be fun to do. It's just important to remember that a dog's real value lies in his relationship with you, not in his lineage.

There are plenty of pedigreed boneheads in the world and also plenty of genius mutts. That goes for both dogs and people.
Muneraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary1990 View Post
Theres no point in a DNA hes gorgeous!! he looks like a german shepherd and his ears are up!! alot of pure breed GS pups ears dont go up, so even if theres a slight chance hes a mix nobody would notice! Unless you wanted him in competitions or something, But to me he looks PB, big boned and sooo cute !!
Definitely no competitions. He will be my sidekick, my going on trail rides in my Jeep buddy and my drinking buddy... just kidding about the drink buddy part! Call me crazy but I can see it in his face and eyes that he will be a great dog!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.