German Shepherds Forum banner

Some recent Chickie Pics:)

2K views 43 replies 21 participants last post by  Anthony8858 
#1 ·
well my chickies are 28 weeks old today:) Besides my dogs, they have been such a joy and quite entertaining..I only have 3 of the 9 laying, probably because of the shorter days, some days I get 3 eggs, some 2 some none.

Anyhow, thought I'd post some recent pics of the girls:) Masi still occasionally will sneak in the run with me and give them all a lick or two:)
Thanks for looking:)

this is Dot

Buff sitting in my lap

Thelma & Buff, this one cracked me up, looks like she's going to say something to Thelma:)

Harriet

Lucy & Ethel

See less See more
#29 ·
They look great! I am also waiting for most of mine to lay. My laying hens were all killed by a coyote (or maybe fox) over the summer. So it's been that long...two of mine did start to lay about a month ago so at least I get SOME eggs!

I will have to get some pics of mine soon, one of my roos is really gorgeous. The boys are noisier, but they are really sweet with the girls, they feed them and keep an eye out for predators.

#31 ·
would love to see pics of anyone else's chickies:)

So sad you lost your laying hens:(( They really grow on you, different personalities , mine are soooooo velcro-y and friendly.

#32 ·
I don't want to hijak your thread but might as well post them here :)
I have some that are fairly recent.
This is my roo Axl...he is really sweet to his girls. I hatched him out myself from eggs I bought on ebay. He's just a mutt, but he was too pretty not to keep.

Pheonix (lays the green egg below)
I got her at Tractor Supply this spring. She's the only one of that group I kept - I sold the others. She was the exact color EE I'd been hoping to get.

Begging my husband for treats...

Wheaten marans

And one of my Orloffs

I'm getting some pretty blue and green eggs. I'm not sure who the blue layer is - but she hasn't learned to lay in the nest box yet.
I have others that have to be getting close to laying...

#33 ·
go ahead and hijack:) gorgeous rooster!!! even for a mutt;) Lots of pretty colors going on,,and the rest are gorgeous to! Lucky you can free range, I can't, to many hawks that sit right there waiting to snatch one, and all the wildlife I have right outside my fenced yard, can't take the chance..Neat eggs:)

#36 ·
I also have some silkies, but I'm not sure if I want to keep them. They are adorable but they are higher maintenance!

Chickens in general are really entertaining to watch. They love to forage and dig and they can be very friendly.
I had one hen that would follow me around like a puppy - she'd wait for me to turn over rocks and then she'd jump right in to eat anything that was underneath. When she was done she'd look up at me and wait for me to move onto the next one. She was never afraid of rocks rolling around. Unfortunately she was one of the ones that got eaten in my predator attack, probably because she was so docile.

I've always been a bird lover - I grew up with parrots - chickens are not all that bright, and obviously they don't talk, but it's like having a low maintenance version of a parrot. They are friendly and also don't have the same attitude that some parrots can have.

I have to be really careful free ranging - we live in the middle of the woods, I let the chickens out for an hour or so in the afternoon so they can forage and then they go back into the coop on their own to sleep, but I try to stay with them. We did have hawks hanging around for a while, but they seem to have moved on, and I don't think any were big enough to take out a full grown chicken. We also saw a fox a few times, but haven't seen that in a while either.

#38 ·
Anthony I used to have BIG parrots, so I've always loved having birds that are hand tame etc..My grandfather was an old chicken farmer, so maybe it's in my genes:)

I agree my chickens are very entertaining, funny to watch their antics , mine are very friendly, and when I go in the run, heck I've got one jumping on my back if I bend over, climbing on my shoulders, sitting and falling asleep in my lap..

And watching them with Masi is a hoot as well:) Just like having another 'pet' to interact with..I may start teaching them "chicken agility"..Hazel is a good jumper (speck sussex) when I walk in the run, she is the first one to jump on my arm if I hold it out:)..

#40 ·
We have an Araucana hen and this Roo is mixed breed.
We bought mixed chicks, we finally offed the one roo because he was too aggressive. This Roo is nice but hogs the feed when we throw it out. But when he mates, he's nice and doesn't pluck their feathers out.

We have one more hen, she's reddish, not sure what breed.

#41 ·
very pretty!

#43 ·
Anthony maybe Kira would like a chicken or two? :))

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.