This is what i walked into when i got home from work... - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master Member

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll try them and see which works for me. I guess bill have to get a new crate first..ugh!
GusGus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #22 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Maybe you could find one used on craigslist. A stronger crate sure beats a bill at the emergency vet. I never walk out of that place for less than $1000 it seems
I know rescue always waits for sales so gets it for under that (and price has gone up I see).

Petmate Vari-Kennel Plastic Dog Crate - PetSupplies.com

But I would do the Patricia McConnell pamphlet to start it off and look for CL buys.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #23 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneforce View Post
Try covering the top,sides and rear of crate. Make him a cozy little safe place. Also leave a radio on for noise company for him. not real loud, but loud enough for him to hear it. How long does he stay alone? "This is just something that works for me with my dogs that I have had and have." " I in no way claim to know anything about anything. I just am throwing out something that worked great for me" I am sure others will think this method is dumb, but dont knock it untill you try it....thats if you want to. Attachment 23805....... Here is an example
If you do this, be sure to use something solid, like shower-board. it is thin and solid, I will put it on top of crates so I can store things on top, or put it inbetween crates so that certain females will not try to eat each other. I get it at Lowe's or Home-Depot and have them cut it to size. Just make sure the dog has enough air going through.

If you use a blanket, the dog will pull it through and possibly ingest part of it, also it might make him too hot.

My first dog had a lot of problems. I did not believe in crates then, and left him in my kitchen. Everything in my kitchen that was not nailed down would be in a big pile, kind of like your stuff there, half chewed, pottied on. It was a daily event, and it did wreck my relationship with him as I lost my patience. He also ate my couch.

After being thrown outside and breaking his leg, I found that crates really weren't such an evil afterall. He never had any trouble with crates.

My second dog had trouble with crates and ate 5 of them -- three were wire, and two were the plastic/fiberglass crates mentioned here. She seemed to flip out only if I left the house when she was crated. Left uncrated she was perfectly fine and never chewed anything of mine.

Both dogs did grow out of this behavior, eventually.

No great words of wisdom, except that I can sympathize with you.

Good luck.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #24 (permalink)

I know it doesn't help but, the pictures made me think of:

Last edited by hotrod2448; 12-12-2012 at 09:11 PM.
hotrod2448 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master Member

Hang in there! Like said above they do grow out of it! Amazing what they can do in a day! Will be a story u tell after you can laugh about it! We did use an outdoor kennel for part of that period, it had a dog house in it. Locked of course! Then they were over it and the past several years are strictly inside dogs, they leave everything alone, as with other things about them, it takes time and patience, but well worth the effort!
readaboutdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master Member

Did your trainer said how an e-collar will help in this case? I'm trying to think of how that works... but can't come up with anything. You won't be around to press the e-collar buttons and the dog is already stressed out.

I had a severe separation anxiety dog before. It took about a year of being around the dog a lot at first and easing the dog slowly into longer and longer departure time. I couldn't crate that dog, it caused more stress and I worried the dog will hurt himself trying to get out. It is now fine. I did have to make sure the dog is walked, exercised, happy and content before I leave it. I know not everyone can spend that much time. My friend sent her hyper lab that will cause destruction when she leaves for work by dropping the dog off at doggie day care about every other day during the work week. The dog behaved so much better on off days. You either have to find something for that kind of dog to do during the day or you have to train it to be comfortable with you being gone. A better crate is great but I think that's just a temporary patch for the issue.
Bear L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #27 (permalink)

Also, you should look into renting some of the videos on BowWowFlix.com. They have a pretty good selection of videos on behavior.
Also, it might behoove you to find a good dog daycare. For some dogs even one good play day a week makes a huge difference. Do your research and ask for references from others who have had issues with separation anxiety. Sounds pricey, but probably not as expensive as replacing all of your woodwork and furniture.
Posting your general location might help with getting suggestions.

www.coppercreekdvg.com- All Breed Schutzhund Club

Home of Umarek von Hugelblick, my good luck charm!
bocron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

Acclimatize the dog to the crate, don't just put him in and leave.
There's a ton of info on the 'net about doing this, but basically start out in increments.

He may see it as an inescapable box, but if you leave for 8 hrs. the 1st time he uses it, and he escapes, that's a done deal and it will never work for him.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 06:11 AM   #29 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
Don't use a shock collar, find a new behaviorist. Buy a better crate (even my escape artist can't chew or get out of an airline crate.) because you're going to waste a lot more money at the vet and in furniture otherwise.

Exercise a lot, put raw ground turkey in a kong, freeze it, give it to your pup in the new crate when you leave. Triptophan in turkey helped me overcome separation anxiety in my GSD. Now he's not destructive and can be crated with no stress.
I love the ground turkey kong idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Lucky (cat) ~ Beauty (cat) ~ MuMu (cat)
Angelina03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #30 (permalink)

I know this is not the best advice and certainly not for everyone but...
I had a GSD once that had an extreme case of SA. NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING, calmed him down until I got him a little brother. It was magic. Not another problem afterwards.
reynosa_k9's is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.