Our new family member, Nala :) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 11:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Our new family member, Nala :)

Brought this girl home thanksgiving weekend. She is such a blessing. Once she was loose from the chain, she literally dragged me across the field to my car. The person I got her from called the day before I could get her and said she had tried to hang herself over a fence on her chain, could I come sooner, as they didn't think she would last another day... Her neck had nasty wounds, but they are healing up nicely here now with meds and treatment. Got her an easywalk harness, works great, and doesn't touch her wounded neck. She is a very nice dog. Still a little nervous, but I have started taking her places now, and she is very polite and social with people. She's a licker! Alot of gentle mouthing and licking. She has bonded very nicely with our family, the pack is well Tried to get them to sit still for pictures...oh well
Attached Thumbnails
Our new family member, Nala :)-002.jpg   Our new family member, Nala :)-020.jpg   Our new family member, Nala :)-010.jpg   Our new family member, Nala :)-007.jpg   Our new family member, Nala :)-011.jpg  

Our new family member, Nala :)-009.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

OH my gosh! Is this the dog in the dirt?

I have been waiting for an update! She looks great! Also looks much more slender than in the pic.

Can you tell us how it went on the drive, how she reacted to being in the house? The pic of her snoozing in comfort is priceless.
She looks so happy, and thank you and bless you for getting her out of there.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Im with sunflowers, i was looking forward to how the whole thing went down. Hats off to you for rescuing her, she deserves to have a loving home with people that genuinely care. She is a great looking girl!
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 11:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

..and I am sure you gave her a good bath!

How did you keep from beating the tar out of the owner?
Old 12-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
OH my gosh! Is this the dog in the dirt?

I have been waiting for an update! She looks great! Also looks much more slender than in the pic.

Can you tell us how it went on the drive, how she reacted to being in the house? The pic of her snoozing in comfort is priceless.
She looks so happy, and thank you and bless you for getting her out of there.
I kinda got banned for running my mouth... LOL! I had a pickup with a camper shell, crates in the back. We still had 2 days of bmx racing to do after we picked her up, we stayed at a hotel, she has very nice manners for the most part, just a little rough when happy ... she rode calmly. She jumped right up into the crate and layed down. It was a little touchy with her and Axel arguing when I let them out together, so we rotated. They are getting along fine now. She maybe has a few extra pounds on her, it was just a bad pic. She was being fed, for sure. Inside has gone well, she wants to "Go" outside = housebroken. The only really wierd thing, I have a consoles TV... 1st time I left her loose inside with Axel, I came home and everything was knocked off. I set a camera on it...she jumps on top of it to see out the window... LOL! She is happy and thankful for sure. She did get loose here once... totally ignored me with treats calling her but didn't leave... just ran around like a maniac and came back inside.
The funniest thing was the bone.. I bought knuckle bones. Gave her one in the crate when I went to work. She was chewing on it when I got home 4 hours later.. didn't think much of it. Let her out to potty. She never put it down. She peed, pooped, never putting down the bone. I think she hadn't had a treat like that in a while. 2 more hours in the house with it, she came over and started licking me and pouncing all over me She is loved, and vice versa
at the hotel:
Attached Thumbnails
Our new family member, Nala :)-1122121353.jpg  
Old 12-05-2012, 11:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Loved it!

And as for the bone-- you can safely assume she never had one.

So glad she is loved and cared for now. I guess this is proof that genetics determine a lot of the temperament. Look what she went through and she is still a pretty stable dog.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I can't even imagine how she must feel being able to sleep inside on a couch with family.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC
Brennan- Golden Retriever

"A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you
more than he loves himself."
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 11:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
..and I am sure you gave her a good bath!

How did you keep from beating the tar out of the owner?
I just wanted to get her outta there, that was that. Played nice and left. I took her and Axel both to a dog wash a couple days after we got home. (they clean everything for 8 bucks!) The tub was covered in mud and dirt.. she cleaned up very nicely, and was a very nice lady getting her bath, seemed to like it. (Axel HATES baths.. ) I did them both in tubs right across from one another at the same time... it was a bonding experience for sure! I was feeling like a super hero that I pulled that off, ROFL!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Loved it!

And as for the bone-- you can safely assume she never had one.

So glad she is loved and cared for now. I guess this is proof that genetics determine a lot of the temperament. Look what she went through and she is still a pretty stable dog.
ITA. She is very stable. No resource guarding with the bone, but made it clear she didn't want anyone to touch it.. she has growled at Axel for getting near her treats though. Can't blame her. She politely says MINE. No problem with people coming near.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You ARE a superhero in my eyes, and not only for giving stereo baths.
From browsing the dog ads to actually doing something about it...wow.
She probably liked it because it felt great.

Good going. You are her Thanksgiving angel, that's for sure.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.