New additions because of family threat! - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #51 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Gee, I must be a 1-percent-er. I am just not afraid of being attacked by a dog. Not even a police dog. And, I have had a police dog charge after me and Dubya once when I was walking him. I just turned him away from the charging dog and walked in the opposite direction listening to two cops trying to stop the dog. I swung in front of my dog stopped and waited. They were able to contain their dog, which was good, because Dubya was a full-grown shepherd too, and if that dog got to us, I think there would have been damage either to canines or humans or both. But I really don't worry about it.

I have been bitten by GSDs a few times, and while it isn't exactly fun, I would rather deal with a dog bite than have someone shooting at me.

Of course, I am in no condition to run track and field either, and not dumb enough to try to out run a dog.

And I used to ride my bike all over the county all night, and lots of people do not contain dogs in the country, they bark and chase and snap at the bike until you reach a certain spot that they have determined is the end of their kingdom, and then they turn tail and go home. If I was afraid of getting bitten, no way would I be able to ride around at 3 in the morning. Once I was riding with my sister and I heard the toenails on the road, and I told her to get in front of me, she is 11 years younger than me, and I am the cyclist, and the dog lover, so I figured if anyone is going to get bitten, it had better be me. Neither of us did.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #52 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Gee, I must be a 1-percent-er. I am just not afraid of being attacked by a dog.
I'm not either. I'm not stupid and won't confront a barking dog, but they don't upset me.

Now, for some reason, I'm leery of cats. I hate it when you're petting them and the reach around and nip at you. That creeps me out.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayos and Havoc View Post
After reading this thread, I just want to add a welcome to you and the new pups. Thank you for adopting them adn I wish you and your family all the best.

Thank you for your service in LE too..
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleigh View Post
Welcome to the forum, and you have two lovely GSDs.

As an ex-LEO I have a kind of "funny" story (we'll find it funny anyway!)

This is years ago - I was reading the file on a new release (offender coming into the community), and it was noted that he was still recovering from a dog bite. He'd been incarcerated for about 6 months - note to outside staff, he still requires medical treatment.

There wasn't much more on the file, but I found the rest out in person. I picked him up at the bus station, and being the dog owner / lover that I am, my first question (posed to look concerned) was: how are your injuries? Do you need medical treatment today?

HIM: No, I'm fine til the end of the week.
ME: What happened?
HIM: I got attacked by a police dog
ME: WOW, what did you do? (feigning surprise!)
HIM: I robbed a bank, as you know, and I was hiding out when the dog found me
ME: So, what? You're just hiding there and the dog just came up and attacked you?
HIM: (Shoots me a look of digust) ... Well no, they're better trained than that. I took off running ...
ME: Glances over (I'm driving remember), eyebrows raised in question
HIM: Yeah, I know ... but heck, I ran track and field in high school. How was I supposed to know the dog was faster than me?

I didn't answer and left him to stew in his own stupidity!
That is funny! There is definitely no outrunning a determined, athletic K-9!

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Gee, I must be a 1-percent-er. I am just not afraid of being attacked by a dog. Not even a police dog. And, I have had a police dog charge after me and Dubya once when I was walking him. I just turned him away from the charging dog and walked in the opposite direction listening to two cops trying to stop the dog. I swung in front of my dog stopped and waited. They were able to contain their dog, which was good, because Dubya was a full-grown shepherd too, and if that dog got to us, I think there would have been damage either to canines or humans or both. But I really don't worry about it.

I have been bitten by GSDs a few times, and while it isn't exactly fun, I would rather deal with a dog bite than have someone shooting at me.

Of course, I am in no condition to run track and field either, and not dumb enough to try to out run a dog.

And I used to ride my bike all over the county all night, and lots of people do not contain dogs in the country, they bark and chase and snap at the bike until you reach a certain spot that they have determined is the end of their kingdom, and then they turn tail and go home. If I was afraid of getting bitten, no way would I be able to ride around at 3 in the morning. Once I was riding with my sister and I heard the toenails on the road, and I told her to get in front of me, she is 11 years younger than me, and I am the cyclist, and the dog lover, so I figured if anyone is going to get bitten, it had better be me. Neither of us did.
We are definitely the minority. 99% of the time the suspect gave up by the time I gave the final K-9 warning and let the dog go. I know for a fact that many of them would have cared less about being tased or shot, but they drew the line at wearing a GSD like a coat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
I'm not either. I'm not stupid and won't confront a barking dog, but they don't upset me.

Now, for some reason, I'm leery of cats. I hate it when you're petting them and the reach around and nip at you. That creeps me out.
I hear you there! I am much more likely to be cornered by a cat than a dog any day. With that in mind, could you imagine going up against a mountain lion or something similar? I would rather have to go up against a bear!

― Winston Churchill
Officer_Hood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #54 (permalink)

Welcome to the boards! I completely see where your wife is coming from. I love having a GSD just as a deterrant factor, even if she isn't a trained protection dog. Just size and breed recognition alone is a nice deterrant.

I do a lot of running on the outskirts of the city which is largely undeveloped, but has quite a bit of traffic for the lack of buildings. It is nice having her with me at night when I'm running as it just makes me feel safer.

Gorgeous dogs! I hope you stick around and continue sharing your dogs and experiences with us.
sddeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer_Hood View Post
My pictures are limited, due to allot of our stuff still being in storage in MT.

First, here is a picture of Kimber after he grew up a bit.

Attachment 23187
Is Kimber full GSD? He looks very much like my girl who is supposedly mixed with something. I've always wondered! They have the same white markings and small "eyebrow" markings.

Beautiful dogs.

-“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
lkellen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.