New additions because of family threat! - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #41 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer_Hood View Post
Thank you for your concern. I used to go as far as not wearing a wedding ring, or carry any pictures of my family in my wallet, so I understand your thinking.

However, I went to a training where they stressed the importance of not taking caution too far, as it tended to make LEOs and their families feel alienated from society even more than they normally would.

The exception to this would be officers in huge cities, which I am not. If anyone wanted to know where I lived, who my kids were, or where my wife worked, all they would have to do is come to my town and ask someone.
Thank you for taking the time to answer this. I did have a genuine concern.
I guess growing up in NYC would make me think differently.

So then it's best your wife carries a 9mm glock

Thanks
Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #42 (permalink)
Elite Member

To the OP - I love the way you think. Your wife wanted a dog so you immediately got two GSD's. LMAO! I understand your pain at losing your working dogs but the fact that you were able to adopt two wonderful GSD's the day after your wife expressed concern is great. May the good luck always be on your side and the bad luck on the side of the bad guys. I also love the fact that your wife shoots. Women with guns are great.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #43 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
The exception to this would be officers in huge cities, which I am not. If anyone wanted to know where I lived, who my kids were, or where my wife worked, all they would have to do is come to my town and ask someone.
Unless you live off the grid... anyone can find you. That's the reality of todays world. All you have to do is look up the name, pay a couple of bucks and you can buy a full background check, including addresses, phone numbers etc. on that person. It's so easy, it's scary.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 10:40 AM   #44 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDog View Post
This. My brother is quite different than he used to be, and not in a better way.

Its hard when the LEOs jobs change the person. People think it takes 20 years of violence to make us callous and numb to a lot of things. Honestly, it only takes 1 minute to change a person. I was struck in the face with a handcuff fairly recently and Im a different person now; some ways or good, some ways arent. But for some that have PTSD its hard and the family (such as yourself) is so important to helping us cope with these sort of things.
TommyB681 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #45 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Officer, I don't really care WHY you got them out of that shelter, I am just glad you did! It is obvious from the pictures that they are loved and have a great home and family! They are beautiful dogs and you have a lovely family. Thank you for rescuing them!!

I know I feel safer with my two. And one of them is scared of her own shadow but Lord, she will bark and put up a fuss if the leaves blow to hard outside. It gives me the peace of mind knowing that someone is going to have to have some really big kahunas to take the chance to come in my house and even if they do, I will get plenty of warning. THAT is all I need to make me feel very secure in my home.
-Pippa Von Neurotic Butt- GSD
-Tessa- 11yo GSD- Waiting at the Bridge. RIP sweet girl.
DharmasMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 07:39 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DharmasMom View Post
Officer, I don't really care WHY you got them out of that shelter, I am just glad you did! It is obvious from the pictures that they are loved and have a great home and family! They are beautiful dogs and you have a lovely family. Thank you for rescuing them!!

I know I feel safer with my two. And one of them is scared of her own shadow but Lord, she will bark and put up a fuss if the leaves blow to hard outside. It gives me the peace of mind knowing that someone is going to have to have some really big kahunas to take the chance to come in my house and even if they do, I will get plenty of warning. THAT is all I need to make me feel very secure in my home.
You have exactly described why my wife feels more at ease with Griz and Zula in our family! It has nothing to do with dilutions of a GSD aromatically being a lethal family safety device. I know better than that.

I also know how easy it is to defeat a dog, even without a weapon, if you can get past the natural fear humans have of aggressive canines. However, being a K-9 handler, I can tell you that 99% of the population is deathly afraid of being attacked by a dog, and that alone goes a long way! Thank you for sharing your personal feelings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyB681 View Post
Its hard when the LEOs jobs change the person. People think it takes 20 years of violence to make us callous and numb to a lot of things. Honestly, it only takes 1 minute to change a person. I was struck in the face with a handcuff fairly recently and Im a different person now; some ways or good, some ways arent. But for some that have PTSD its hard and the family (such as yourself) is so important to helping us cope with these sort of things.
Sorry to hear about your recent experience, but I know what you are talking about. A huge part of my coping with the situation was knowing that I was able to put my wife's mind to ease by getting the dogs. The thing that effected me most was seeing how it effected my family! Stay safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
Unless you live off the grid... anyone can find you. That's the reality of todays world. All you have to do is look up the name, pay a couple of bucks and you can buy a full background check, including addresses, phone numbers etc. on that person. It's so easy, it's scary.
You are so right! We use programs, for investigation, that are available to anyone who is willing to pay for them, which will give information on a person that would absolutely blow your mind. I refuse to live in constant fear of someone possibly hunting me down because i'm a cop. If they want to find me, or any other cop, we are found. It's that simple!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyratemom View Post
To the OP - I love the way you think. Your wife wanted a dog so you immediately got two GSD's. LMAO! I understand your pain at losing your working dogs but the fact that you were able to adopt two wonderful GSD's the day after your wife expressed concern is great. May the good luck always be on your side and the bad luck on the side of the bad guys. I also love the fact that your wife shoots. Women with guns are great.
Thank you for your comment! I owe Griz and Zula much for the piece of mind and companionship they provide. I have realized I even had allot of left over emotion about Miki which I still had not dealt with and they have helped me with that as well. My family is very glad we found them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony8858 View Post
Thank you for taking the time to answer this. I did have a genuine concern.
I guess growing up in NYC would make me think differently.

So then it's best your wife carries a 9mm glock

Thanks
I couldn't even imagine growing up somewhere like NYC, so I absolutely understand your thinking. I live on the moon compared to NYC, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDog View Post
This. My brother is quite different than he used to be, and not in a better way.
I'm sorry to hear that. I have worked hard to avoid changing who I was before LE my whole career, but it's easy to get the mindset that anyone who is not in LE is a dirt-bag. You start to only associate with other LEOs and their families, you hide every aspect of your personal life from the world and force your family to do the same, and many start to drink heavily.

I almost never hang out with LEOs off duty, and though I am careful and upfront about my expectations, I seek out non LEO friends. I don't drink more than a couple times a year, and I "try" to turn my cop volume down, but not off, when off duty. My family needs non LEO family time! I wish your brother the best!

― Winston Churchill
Officer_Hood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 08:50 AM   #47 (permalink)
Master Member

Officer Hood: You are certainly right that most people are afraid to be bit by a dog. IM afraid to be bit by a dog haha. It doesnt matter if you have an defense dog or the biggest lap dog sissy in the world. That dog alone is a show of force (that most people dont realize they have) that will deter most.
TommyB681 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #48 (permalink)
Crowned Member

After reading this thread, I just want to add a welcome to you and the new pups. Thank you for adopting them adn I wish you and your family all the best.

Thank you for your service in LE too..

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
UAG1,UNN1,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UAG1,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" BN,NA,NAJ,RN,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
Kayos and Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #49 (permalink)
Elite Member

Welcome to the forum, and you have two lovely GSDs.

As an ex-LEO I have a kind of "funny" story (we'll find it funny anyway!)

This is years ago - I was reading the file on a new release (offender coming into the community), and it was noted that he was still recovering from a dog bite. He'd been incarcerated for about 6 months - note to outside staff, he still requires medical treatment.

There wasn't much more on the file, but I found the rest out in person. I picked him up at the bus station, and being the dog owner / lover that I am, my first question (posed to look concerned) was: how are your injuries? Do you need medical treatment today?

HIM: No, I'm fine til the end of the week.
ME: What happened?
HIM: I got attacked by a police dog
ME: WOW, what did you do? (feigning surprise!)
HIM: I robbed a bank, as you know, and I was hiding out when the dog found me
ME: So, what? You're just hiding there and the dog just came up and attacked you?
HIM: (Shoots me a look of digust) ... Well no, they're better trained than that. I took off running ...
ME: Glances over (I'm driving remember), eyebrows raised in question
HIM: Yeah, I know ... but heck, I ran track and field in high school. How was I supposed to know the dog was faster than me?

I didn't answer and left him to stew in his own stupidity!
Old 12-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #50 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm not an LEO and I find that pretty funny Kyleigh!

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.