German Shepherds Forum banner

chicken killer trapped

3K views 34 replies 19 participants last post by  lorihd 
#1 ·
a polecat killed and partially ate one hen.:mad:

last night it decided to visit chicken again.
huge mistake.

here it is.

some claws

headshot

Odi totally went bonkers over it.
i think,if polecat wasn't caged,it would be killed.

See less See more
#6 ·
I have so for once I am grateful that I can't see pics at work LOL ... I don't want to see THAT ...

BUT I am very glad that you managed to trap it before it killed any more of your chickens.

Poor Odin, he's probably wondering why you wouldn't let him "play" with it!

#12 ·
I had heard of a polecat, never realized what one was. Ugly little sucker..glad you got him..

#18 ·
here's quote :)

The European polecat is the sole ancestor of the ferret, which was domesticated more than 2000 years ago for the purpose of hunting vermin.[12] The species has otherwise been historically viewed negatively by humans. In the British Isles especially, the polecat was persecuted by gamekeepers, and became synonymous with promiscuity in early English literature. During modern times, the polecat is still scantly represented in popular culture when compared to other rare British mammals, and misunderstandings of its behaviour still persist in some rural areas.[13] As of 2008, it is classed by the IUCN as Least Concern due to its wide range and large numbers.[1]

#22 ·
LOL, my terriers were going insane hearing that, the female leaped up onto my keyboard!!! Is it possible to relocate them, or do they return? I am not familiar with them in their wild state.

#26 · (Edited)
:D:D they're TERRIERS after all!!

i'm not surprised though - even my mellow,sweet Odi went totally mad.
seems that dogs have something against polecats.

look,what happened,when i let Odi near cage.:eek:
it didn't look like love at first sight,so i placed cage where Odi cannot access.

they're treated like vermin here,besides they may carry rabies.
he may chose fight over flight when i open cage,so he may bite me.
i don't want take any chances with rabies.

#31 ·
I cannot watch video with sound at work, but is the sound a high pitched scream type noise? I have heard a couple of mine do that on rare occations. (Once when I went to set one of them in the bath tub for a bath-I rarely bathe my ferrets, only when they get really dirty).

That polecat looks a lot like some of my ferrets. All of mine are private bred, & some do have some Polecat bloodlines about 10 generations or so back.

It's sad that the best option is to kill it, but I do understand protecting your stock.

#32 ·
OK, just saw pics and watched ... it's cute LOL ... BUT, I do understand where you are coming from as it being a pest!

I wouldn't let Odin near it ... (out of the cage I mean !) they can certainly do some damage ... those super sharp teeth!

#33 ·
when i first saw the picture, i thought gosh it looks like my ferrets did. im in the way too cute to shoot club. pests yes, so are racoons, but they have to eat too. and rabies, well when i see one in the daylight acting odd, i stay away. this guy looks fine. hope you let him go.

#34 ·
Once a wild predator has caught and killed a domesticated animal (like a chicken) they will keep coming back for more (like the rest of your flock).

There are only 2 choices. Relocate at LEAST 25 miles away or kill it.

The problem is that you have to contact the town where you plan to drop off the little beasty and see if it's LEGAL to do that ... and most towns will say NO.

#35 ·
we had a preditor break into the coop and kill 4 hens, my hubby went out fixed the fence that was broken (you couldnt see it unless you were up close) and that was the end of the killings. although the coop and outside run are built very well, sometimes things happen. this happened 3 years ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.