Saved from the streets--GSD or GSD+? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Saved from the streets--GSD or GSD+?

Hello everyone! This is my dog Hector:

I found Hector dumped in the desert almost a year ago. To make a long story short, after a fruitless search for owners just in case (circumstances made it pretty clear what happened, but I wanted to be sure), I decided to keep him. Hector has a forever home with me no matter what, I take him with me everywhere I can and am not sure how I got on without him before.

However, I am not (or was not, anyway!) a GSD person, and I keep getting mixed feedback about whether he's purebred or not, and what his lines might be. I personally don't see anything but GSD in him, but like I said I'm not an expert!

So what do you guys think? GSD, a mix, or a similar breed? If GSD, what do you think his lineage is (if you have a guess)? I don't really care in a real sense, he's my dog regardless, but I think it's fun to hear what people who know more about the breed have to say.

Something you can't see in the photos really but that is a big sticking point for a lot of GSD folks is that he has dew claws in front and back. Apparently (according to some), that is pretty much unheard-of in the breed.

Sorry for the hiking gear, it is really hard to get decent conformation shots of this dog. I can try to get some better ones when I get home this evening.

Thanks so much!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I say high mix. There is something off about his eyes (to light) and his forehead. He's very handsome!

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

I am not an expert but he think he is pure. To me especially from the side. Like I said not an expert though. And I have seen several pure shepherds with front and back dew claws myself.

Good point Jax the eyes are kinda light, I knew when I was looking at that pic something just seemed a little off I just didnt place the eyes. If he is mixed with anything it isn't a lot.

Last edited by empem90; 11-14-2012 at 03:47 PM. Reason: commenting on Jax post
empem90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

His head shape/eyes look... different.

I'd say very poorly bred or a bit of a mix.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I also think his head is a bit different, but the rest of him looks PB GSD to me.
Out of curiosity what breed of dog has front and back dew claws?
Old 11-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear GSD View Post
I also think his head is a bit different, but the rest of him looks PB GSD to me.
Out of curiosity what breed of dog has front and back dew claws?
Many larger working/carting dogs are bred with rear dews, however, working in a shelter, I find about 25% of dogs have them, even if they look purebred. Not sure if it is a genetic thing or what.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

My vote is for PB. His (very handsome) head does look a little more broad than usual but I would guess that he comes from a long line of "American pet" lines, which is a melting pot but still "pure."

I personally find his head attractive. Would love to see more pics. Thanks for saving him!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Looks GSD.

Was he neutered when you got him? Could be why he is a little lanky and leggy. GSDs can have light, almost yellow eyes. It's a fault, but it can happen. He doesn't have much of a mask and has a tight coat, but GSDs can have this also. GSDs can have dew claws. It is mentioned in the rule books. Nice red color. His pants, tail, ears, saddle etc....all say GSD to me.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

He looks pure GSD to me. I have a female that I adopted from the "woods" as well. For a while I wasn't sure she was pure, but, like your pup, there is no indication of any other breed mix in there. The coloring, fur length and set of the ears are all GSD. You don't often get all that in a mix.

I don't think he is too leggy- I see an old-school type GSD that many people remember as great family dogs. But without being watered down into a golden retriever in a GSD coat or without the seriously angulated back end that so many show line GSDs have these days. I think he has a nice sturdy build for hiking/running. Enjoy! Good looking dog.
Muskeg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Something you can't see in the photos really but that is a big sticking point for a lot of GSD folks is that he has dew claws in front and back. Apparently (according to some), that is pretty much unheard-of in the breed.
My Cheyenne had rear dew claws. Big, floppy ones! I had them removed when she was spayed as to not have an injury in the future since they were so floppy. My vet told me that all breeds can have them...but they are less common in GSDs. But I've met other GSDs that have had them, also. If Cheyenne isn't purebreed, then she is 99.9%!

Regardless of whether or not he is pure...he's a gorgeous boy! Thank you for saving him!

Cheyenne von der Price-Sable GSD-12/20/10-CGC
Faegan vom Johnson-Haus "Panzer"-Black GSD-12/31/11-S.T.A.R. Puppy
jprice103 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.