Saved from the streets--GSD or GSD+? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

I think it's funny that so many people mention the poorly-bred or American pet lines, because it totally confirms my belief. The full story of my find is...I was out with my dogs near a popular hiking canyon. It was 7 AM or thereabouts, mid-week and not a holiday. Generally the area was deserted so I would take my 3 blue heelers out for a hike off-leash. It's a pretty popular and well-known canyon though, busy on weekends (relatively). So I'm out there and from a vantage point I could see a car speeding out super fast on the canyon road. Traffic at all would be unusual at that time/day, but it was going really fast and I was really suspicious so I was watching. Then I saw a little golden-brown speck running all-out a couple of minutes behind. My heelers went nuts barking, the speck changed direction and ran to us. It was Hector. He immediately attacked my favorite dog (no one was injured, I broke it up in a way that Hector had a chance to bite me and he refrained).

So anyway, we spent 4-6 weeks looking for an owner just in case, but no success. He had no collar, no chip, was intact (I neutered him about 4 months after I found him), no training (not even house trained), not socialized and afraid of literally everything...

My thought was that he was probably an impulse buy from a pet store as a pup, or otherwise short-sighted purchase. So, not well-bred. Then he got too big and too rambunctious and they disposed of him in the desert. I think he's fantastic, super easy to train and just a nice dog, but within a couple of months of me owning him I did have 3 smashed teeth and a broken finger due to playful injuries from him so...

I'll ge some more pics of his head tonight, I agree that it's the big thing that makes him not look purebred (though I think it's gorgeous ). I just can't imagine what else is in him.

Part of what confuses me too is that a few really knowledgeable working dog trainers we've met through our SAR training think he's from working German lines. I'm not sure if they say that because of the context (we are on a SAR team, so he has working potential though we're early in our training) or because he really looks like that.

edit: Also, thank you for all the kudos for saving him but I really don't deserve them. I was very happy with my 3 heelers (actually I was happy with 1, then I got 2 others by accident...) but Hector kind of decided for himself that he was staying. I find most of the best rescue dogs do something like that.

Last edited by RowdyDogs; 11-14-2012 at 03:55 PM.
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

Your boy reminds me of this guy build-wise (who didnt make it out, btw, so thanks again for saving your boy)

Pet Pardons on Facebook | Facebook

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.

Last edited by PatchonGSD; 11-14-2012 at 04:03 PM.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

He is great looking for sure and it's great that you are actually working SAR with him. I guess the two of you did your own search and rescue with eachother!
Old 11-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

He looks like he is pure to me. Either way he's very handsome and seems to be enjoying life with you!
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear GSD View Post
He is great looking for sure and it's great that you are actually working SAR with him. I guess the two of you did your own search and rescue with eachother!
I LOVE that sentiment!
Stevenzachsmom is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master Member

He's very handsome. I'm glad you were there at the right time to save him.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchonGSD View Post
Your boy reminds me of this guy build-wise (who didnt make it out, btw, so thanks again for saving your boy)

Pet Pardons on Facebook | Facebook
He does look a lot like that boy, just a bit more reddish and I think a bit lighter-boned. It's such a shame that boy didn't make it out. I was recently trying to find a rental house with Hector and it was appalling how many homes denied be based on his breed alone--despite that I have another "not dangerous"-breed of dog who has a documented bite history (it was ruled justified, but still...), they'd accept the dog who'd bit someone but wasn't "dangerous" but not Hector who is the gentlest beast I've met. Didn't seem right, and suddenly it made sense how many older, well-behaved GSDs wind up in shelters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear GSD View Post
I guess the two of you did your own search and rescue with eachother!
I love this idea too, because we really did. I can't really describe how true this is because I think that might get inappropriately personal, but Hector saved my life as much as I saved his. SAR is amazing, and I'll be involved even if he washes out, but worst case I'll be doing dog sport with him, possibly get another SAR dog (might wait a bit; regardless I'll be involved with my team as field support), but have an absolutely amazing companion/sport dog in Hector--and with the amount of backpacking/marathon training/etc. I do, he'll keep plenty busy. I love doing SAR with him, but his impact on my life reaches far beyond that. I don't care if he ever saves another life; he's had plenty of impact on mine.
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

nice looking dog, id say 98% gsd, (the head is a little off)
lorihd@comcast.net is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

So they just dumped him...in a desert...to die. I"m so glad you were there.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

I can't tell, his head seems "off" to me, too but can't put my finger on it. I thought "chow" first thing though (and often my first impression ends up being better than later guesses, at least in our rescue!)

About dew claws...just about every dog breed can have them. We have a purebred Dachshund with rear dew claws so big they are actual toes with toenails and all.
When a vet is spaying or neutering, if the dew claw is just attached with flesh, they will often snip it off and glue it shut or bandage it or whatever.
If it's bone, they leave it.

The front dew claws should always be there, and some folks remove them at birth up to a week or 10 days. If removed later than birth-10 days, it's an actual amputation.
I find most our dogs are able to use their 'thumbs' anyway, and wouldn't remove them.
I have one dog who has his removed and he seems to wince when I rub that area.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.