German Shepherds Forum banner

Please check out my pup

13K views 70 replies 34 participants last post by  K9POPPY 
#1 ·
This is a male pup from a very reputable breeder in US. He was exam with "abnormal gum" by vet on his first visit. I called the breeder told her the issue. She explained to me that it is "normal", gsds bite have to be scissor cut form. I have to agree with her by that point. But the true is the pup's gum is abnormal. The upper jaw is overshot over 1/2 inch. Please take a look at the picture and prove that vet and me are wrong. I spend $2750 for the pup, plus shipping and health certificate total was $3050. This is the pup that a reputable breeder so called "show quality".

See less See more
#62 ·
when you buy a show quality dog what does that mean.

does it mean that the dog will be an easily won champion, a select , a V1 , a SG 46 ?? what?

the overbite was very evident -- but my history dealing with ASL in the very early years , this over bite was not such a rarity, it did crop up , now and again.
Experience also taught me that from those lines there always seemed to be a correction, the lower jaw did catch up and by 8 or 9 months be a proper scissor bite.

I have not seen it in the working lines .

Often the entire head set was a more narrow , longer type .

The pups were called Andy Gumps or Shark jaws,

Another thing I saw was the occassional alarming wry mouth .

I learned that the head is basically in four parts, each of which may grow out of synch with another .

In the overbite the lower jaw falls short of the upper jaw (chinless wonder)
In the undershot the lower jaw is forward of the upper jaw , example the bull breeds which are exaggerated .

It is more likely for a overbite to correct itself than it is for an undershot jaw .

So that takes care of two plates, the upper and lower jaw, but the head also has a left and right side. In the event that either side does not grow in harmony with the other than one side will be longer and the other shorter causing a buckling effect , or looking like he smacked into wall and broke his nose. Depending on the difference in the sides it can be minor or drastic . Generally a minor deviance will correct itself .
I have seem some real bad cases from a breeder that was in my area when I first moved in . (same vets office -- and later ran into some of her dogs in matches and obedience classes).

Usually you will see these as family patterns.

Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs

#63 ·
I would think a 3000.00 dollar show quality pup would at least be able to set foot in the show ring, where he places from there is up to the judges, but this pup had strike one before even entering the ring.

#66 ·
sean I'm glad you've come back and posted an update and cleared up what your experience was.

2 months to get this resolved in my opinion, is way to long:( Sorry you had to go thru it.

I hope your new puppy is doing well..

#67 ·
sean I'm glad you've come back and posted an update and cleared up what your experience was.

2 months to get this resolved in my opinion, is way to long:( Sorry you had to go thru it.

I hope your new puppy is doing well..
Thank you for your bless JakodaCD. I have not received the puppy yet. The breeder had promised to send me the replacement puppy sometime this week. I have my fingers crossed and praying to god it will never happen again.

#68 ·
I hope so to..please post pics of your new puppy when you get him, would love to see him:)

#69 · (Edited)

Hi, I have 4 months old german shepherd puppy and it seems like he is theething, please see the pics and help me judge if his bite is gonna be normal or overshot. please note teeth are so small that if I close his month for pics his swollen gums of upper and lower jaw contacts and not the teeth... please provide your valuable input. thanks in advance.

#71 · (Edited)
Seems to me that this is just an example of how things can go wrong in purchasing a GSD.After reading all the posts, good & bad, it is kind of eye opening to those who wish to make a smart buy, show dog or not- it's not always a smooth transaction between the buyer and the breeder if problems arise. Even if the prospective buyer does their homework on selecting a reputable breeder, sometimes things happen with puppies. Reputable breeders always make good on their puppies- if they are truly reputable. A no. 1 breeder 's most important job as a breeder is: TO PRODUCE THE BEST GSD POSSIBLE, FOR THE BETTERMENT OF THE BREED. IMHO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.