German Shepherds Forum banner

Should my dog get IPO/BH titles for personal protection?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Femfa 
#1 ·
I know that IPO and schutzhund and the like has a lot of cross-over to personal protection, but I don't need a lot of the aspects of protection sports that things like IPO has (for instance search&rescue, tracking, etc.). I know it certainly helps, but I want to just do personal protection with my GSD. He's already gone obedience classes and is great off leash and knows all the great basic commands and handles distractions with no problem and I'm ready to go to take professional training with my dog to do personal protection. Would you guys recommend I do something like IPO first or just go with the PP classes now?

#2 ·
I'm not an expert, but IPO and PP are very different beasts to me. I think if your dog can handle it, then it can be a fun thing to do. But it's not really the best way to indicate if your dog will be good at PP if that's what you're getting at. Sport training vs real world scenario training are pretty different things to me.

Reactions: car2ner and Chip18
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.