German Shepherds Forum banner

Looking for some help/suggestions

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  cherub737 
#1 ·
I'll explain my situation and let the chips fall where they may. I work from home. I do gun repair from my house. So everyone that comes through the door has a gun and with the drug situation as it is here in western Pa I am worried about being robbed sooner or later. Several of the law enforcement officers that come here can't believe I haven't been already. Rural setting.
Here is what I have to work with. My dog is 16 months, her parents are retired Boston Police dogs, according to the breeder. I am not sure how to find out if she was totally honest on that or not. I have had the dog evaluated and the trainer seems to think she will be good for a protection dog. She did pull back but growled barked and foamed at the mouth. Now I like this trainer but she is slow about everything, when I call it takes 2 months or more till she gets back to me.
Here is what I would like to accomplish with the dog. I really don't know that a protection dog is what I want or need. I would just like her to stop anyone from entering the family area of my house if I get broken into. Store/shop is in basement. What type of training do I need to look into? Thanks, Alan

#3 ·
Not sure about the amount required but feel free to comment on some of the threads. Actually you can post on your own threads til you hit the required amount. It may be 15 posts. I think.

#4 ·
ARshuter I will bring this pm over here. I pmed because the first part is off topic.

Hi. My GSD is a year old. Are you concerned about your dog losing her hearing when you shoot to test guns? My girl stands steady on the gun range, as she should, she has good nerves, but flinches in pain at shotgun fire. She is standing behind the shooter ten or twenty yards. I have been reading on hunting dog forums and no one seems to care, yet they often mention their eight or nine year old dogs are going deaf. These are folks who shoot with their dogs in duck blinds. Thats why dogs are trained with verbal and also hand signals. For distance work and also for some day if and when they are deaf. Hunting breeds ears hang down but our GSDs ears are erect to catch every sound. I think we would want a guard dog to be able to hear. What do you think of this? There are ear muffs for dogs for folks who fly aircraft with their dogs. There are also ear plugs but I don't see how they would not just shake them out.

About your dog in a druggy rural area- I have trained my Inga to over thirty commands but have no idea about bite work. Bite work I think requires a professional trainer. My worry is that the sorry SOBs would shoot the dog. What I would do is have her bark ferociously when folks come to the door. Take her by the collar and hold her while you let trusted gun owners in and then put her in a kennel box nearby. Or make her down near youif you have a solid down. Make her look like a badass guard dog.The word gets around . Also, have surveillance cameras everywhere inside and out. You can get fake cameras but have several real ones. That is what I am going to do when I move to Oregon in a few months.

#9 · (Edited)
Since you are in PA., a great person to talk with for assistance/advice is Joe/Lindsay Brockington of von IBSO K9. Joe is a national level helper and awesome in protection. They do training on many levels and I bet could be a great resource for you. He is also a breeder of very nice GSDs (working line) and has a good handle on things.

They are in Millerstown, PA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.