German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Personal Protection Dogs (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/personal-protection-dogs/)
-   -   Ignoring commands from others? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/personal-protection-dogs/480921-ignoring-commands-others.html)

GhostUSMC 08-17-2014 11:31 PM

Ignoring commands from others?

Hey All,

I was hoping you all might be able to chime in about training your GSD to only respond to your commands. I have thought about teaching another language, but it is a bit easier for my wife if it's in English. I have Ghost for the sole intention of personal protection when he's older (right now he's maybe 2-3 months). The main thing I do not want to happen is to have someone be able to control my dog, preferably the dog will only listen to myself and my wife.

Thanks!

- Ghost

Unforgiving 08-17-2014 11:34 PM

I don't think you will have to do much for this to happen.

Dog's are smart. If you are a good owner, alternate feeding between yourself and your wife, and both actively participate in the dogs life (not only training, but playing and looking after) then they are pretty loyal to their "pack."

There is plenty of threads about being the pack leader, and having your dog respect you, IMO its as simple as that, though I'm sure others may have some more words of wisdom.

Pax8 08-17-2014 11:44 PM

33 Attachment(s)
Agree with what's already posted. If you and your wife are actively engaged with caring for/training your dog, he is going to listen to you above all else.

Mine is just a pet/agility dog that I have worked with for a year now (got him when he was 8 weeks) and in my current apartment, even after having my roommate do some work with him to make sure he'll mind when I'm gone, Kaiju will still ignore my roommate if I'm asking him to do something different from what my roommate has asked. Just the other day, my roommate called him to come but I preferred him in the kennel and asked him to do that immediately after. Guess which one he did? :D

Colie CVT 08-18-2014 12:03 AM

My Leia knows who her mommy is. There's no way that someone can turn her against me. She is my girl through and through. If anyone calls her name, calls their dog, whistles for their dog, or if I am trying to call one of the other dogs I'm near, Leia is right there against my legs, looking up at me with her tail flagging back and forth. She will walk right around who she knows called her and come right to me, giving them a look like, psh. You? Nah. You don't matter.

Your dog is a puppy. They are still a pretty clean slate at that point. :) My golden I was afraid wouldn't want to be with me or near me when he was a puppy. Now, I know without a doubt he won't leave me. <3 When I need him, he's always there.

SuperG 08-18-2014 12:07 AM

Hand signals or motions of the body which are only specific to you and your dog.

SuperG

Nikitta 08-18-2014 12:07 AM

Xerxes is a barker. I'M the only one who can to get him to shut up. Anyone else; yelling at him only makes him bark more. He knows who his mommy is. /grins

GhostUSMC 08-18-2014 12:10 AM

Thanks for the replies!

Perhaps I should provide some background around my issue. I have 2 dogs, one of them being Ghost and the other one is a mix between a Rottweiler and American Bulldog (her name is Mishka). I took both dogs to the vet and the vet was able to put Mishka into a perfect sit which was surprising to me. I have worked with Mishka extensively and was under the impression she would only listen to the commands of my wife and I, but I was mistaken. I want to know what I can do in order for these type of incidents not to occur anymore while i'm out and about with my dog :). My main concern is for an intruder or someone else to be able to issue my dog commands.

Thanks again for the prompt replies!

- Ghost

SuperG 08-18-2014 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GhostUSMC (Post 5916505)
I took both dogs to the vet and the vet was able to put Mishka into a perfect sit which was surprising to me. I have worked with Mishka extensively and was under the impression she would only listen to the commands of my wife and I, but I was mistaken.
- Ghost

The upper hand a skilled "stranger" like the vet perhaps or a trainer has, is the fact that they have the dog off balance to a degree.....which allows a skilled trainer or handler to take advantage of the dog in this state and proceed in a fashion exhibiting a higher level of obedience than most others.

SuperG

GhostUSMC 08-18-2014 12:19 AM

Would this concern you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperG (Post 5916529)
The upper hand a skilled "stranger" like the vet perhaps or a trainer has, is the fact that they have the dog off balance to a degree.....which allows a skilled trainer or handler to take advantage of the dog in this state and proceed in a fashion exhibiting a higher level of obedience than most others.

SuperG

Is this something that would concern you personally? I want to make sure i'm not re-enforcing any bad habits.

- Ghost

Colie CVT 08-18-2014 12:19 AM

Given the conditions of those situations, the dog will likely be in a different kind of way.

I have worked with some of the K9s who work with the police force and generally speaking, they won't respect just anyone. They know when they can get away with things too. I was watching a retired dual purpose dog totally play on the fears of the two techs who were trying to draw blood from him. He did not have his handler with him, and he was muzzled. All he had to do was look at them sideways or shift a little and they both jumped a mile. We had to get urine off of him too, and it was amusing to me to see them trying to get him to lay down. He was just standing there with an expression that said, "Really?"

I repeated the word and he instantly did as asked. Does this mean if I was going for his handler that he wouldn't go for me? Certainly not. :) Just something to put into perspective. Just because a dog has good manners and will respect someone with some authority in a calm, neutral situation, doesn't exactly mean that they will in a higher stress situation.