one or two g.shepherds? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2014, 01:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation one or two g.shepherds?

Hello, my name is Kim. I'd like to ask you something, about this breed, because I want to to buy a dog of these, firstly for protection and secondly as a companion. The house that I'm planning to live is somehow very lonely, and there aren't many neighbors, I'm afraid a little bit to be there alone. So, the question is, is one dog enough to protect me if something goes wrong? Of course I don't want to loose a friend, so is only one safe for him and me? Should I have more dogs? I've had my research, (plus my uncle is a dog trainer) and I know much things about them. Of course I'm willing to spend time in order to train them, and I'm not the kind of person who throws dogs in the street just because "he is bored". An other problem is that I don't know how to train two puppies at the same time, and my uncle is too busy to help me at training. Please give me some advice, I would appreciate it!

P.S. Sorry for poor English, it isn't my native language...
Kim_S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Hello Kim!
I think you should stick with one GSD. Trust me, just one is enough to intimidate. Later on down the road, you can begin to think about adding another. Two puppies at once will be very stressful.

Have you thought about where you will be getting a puppy from? Which lines are you considering? Do you know where you will be taking your dog for training?

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Line
HarleyTheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 02:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyTheGSD View Post
Hello Kim!
I think you should stick with one GSD. Trust me, just one is enough to intimidate. Later on down the road, you can begin to think about adding another. Two puppies at once will be very stressful.

Have you thought about where you will be getting a puppy from? Which lines are you considering? Do you know where you will be taking your dog for training?
agreed, you want to stagger the years of age so you can properly train one at a time. otherwise 2 puppies learn bad habbits from each other.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you both for your replies. Well, at first I didn't feel ok with dividing my love and time in two parts. I was afraid that I'd prefer one of the two, and the other one would be jealous. Then, as you said, it is the difficulty of training them at the same time. So, I'm going to buy only one. As for the lines and the training, I have already read the stuff I needed to, but I haven't finally chosen the breeder, I'm still working on it. Another thing I'd like to ask is, if at the age of 8 or 9 I should get another dog. In this age I think that it is more difficult for the older dog to get distracted and confused about his role or commands. What do you think I should do?
Kim_S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2014, 03:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

i think you should get one first., put your time and effort in training him to be a good dog, learn from your uncle and also go to some clubs you would be able to see other dogs as well, when you think you are ready then you can have your 2nd GSD ^__^....
lawmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2014, 10:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

I think you're right. That's what I'm going to do. I have read a lot of books about this breed already, but since from now on I will have plenty of time, could anyone suggest a good ebook or a site that I can get more information? Thank you!
Old 07-03-2014, 11:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Good advise has already been given but here is more:
http://leerburg.com/pdf/raisingtwopuppies.pdf

Have one well trained dog without issues before adding a second! Don't think I would start with a Husky myself?

Siberian Husky Recall

Several people on here have them and "no" recall seems to be a pretty frequent problem. Around here there is always a dog lost, or escaped yard Husky..sled dog poster at the local 7/11.

Some links in post 8 and just a general heads up here:
New Dog, Very Challenging
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you very much!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.