Home protection gsd - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2014, 10:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Home protection gsd

Hello! I left a post here before but it has disappeared. I must have hit the wrong button. can anyone recommend a breeder that pretrains gsd for home protection? Or a breeder that will train a puppy it has sold after it has grown a bit? I want a good family dog that will watch over my house. I simply dont know how to train beyond the basics. Is it possible to have a very calm demeanor and train it to protect?. I had someone tell me no but i dont beleive that. Just because a dog is calm doesn't mean it can't bark, grown and intimidate. I certainly don't need a high level of training. But the world is getting nutty and it worries me. Preferably in Canada.
Thanks!
LuvMyMaddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2014, 12:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

eurosport

but if you want a dog like this it takes more work and you got to get lots of experience so it doesnt end in disaster

the dogs best in civil protection ive seen dont usually have calm temperaments you leave them alone all day without work they will eat your house, again not always just from what ive seen, its a lot of work, a lot of dog, a lot will walk all over you.

for protection you got to learn how to train high

If i were you look into some strong show lines, see if you can get a really good german show line, I know it sounds like bad advice but there is the odd rare german show line i have seen with extreme bad nasty civil side, they seem more calm than a working dog but just have a really strong civil side to them. I don't know any breeders that breed for it but just seen the odd few around. The ones I saw were imports from zcech.

Look at the core temperament of the dog what his or her drives are like, make sure the parents if you can are good at it also. Some dogs are just very quick to react to a threat with a lot of aggression. Naturally.

IF you just want a dog that will act like a good gsd then any well bred dog can do.

A dog that is ready to nail someone if he or she feels threaten does not always know the meter man is a good guy lol

Last edited by pets4life; 06-06-2014 at 12:35 PM.
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2014, 06:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

yesterday on 1010 , a Canadian talk show the topic of nuisance false alarms on home security systems. Too many of them, wasting resources and time of the police that respond. They said from now on at the third response , false alarm , there would be a charge - about $170 .

They interviewed a police officer who said your best bet is to "get a dog" .

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 05:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

A dog that is cared for and a loved member of the family will protect it's home and people to the best of it's ability.

Most well bred Shepherds possess a strong instinct to protect, and what you are asking for, I think, is a family pet that will alert you to intruders. The laws covering protection dogs in Canada are sketchy, and not in the dogs favor. Unless you are working in LE or for a K9 company the last thing you need is a dog that bites. In Sask the property laws are a bit more in the dogs favor but with the recent rise in breed bans across the province I would be cautious.
If you chose to you can use a dog as a deterrent, and it works well, but 95% of the PPD's in Canada are sold to security companies for a reason.
Regardless of training or certification if your dog ever bites someone off your property, no matter the circumstance, without a lawyer and liability insurance it's toast. As a company if we could prove that the dog was on duty, under control and acting in defense of it's handler, we stood a reasonable shot at having it ruled a justified bite. Otherwise the outcome was not pleasant.
Sabis mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.