German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Personal Protection Dogs (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/personal-protection-dogs/)
-   -   Drive building (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/personal-protection-dogs/391386-drive-building.html)

nicholas jones 01-05-2014 03:20 AM

Drive building

Hey guys! I recently started some training with precision plus k9. I am trying to start some personal protection training with my shepherd he is currently a year. When I took him to get tested, while he showed interest, he also still had a lot of puppy in him(being distracted by things in the environment). The trainer stated to start bring him to different places to get him more acclimated to environments( which I have been doing). I was curious if you guys would recommend any drive building exercises, something simple to help further him along. I have been playing with him with orbee balls having him chase them! If you have additional recommendations, let me know thanks!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

bill 01-05-2014 03:41 AM

Play tug; your trainer should be able to tell you.You need to socialize your pup" this is very important; if you are doing pop he needs to know people are okay just not some people! Good luck Bill

Castlemaid 01-05-2014 08:22 AM

Flirt pole - short periods, let him witn 2 - 3 times. then stop while he is still all hyped up for the game.

Check with your trainer on what he recommends you do and let him show you how to play with your pup.

doggiedad 01-05-2014 08:32 AM

i think your trainer should be teaching and guiding you.

carmspack 01-05-2014 08:40 AM

are you asking about building his suspicion and defense drive?
the answer to that would be no .
you want the dog to be very secure and self assured .
your trainer gave you some great advice .
get the dog out into all sorts of environments . obedience, obedience and more obedience . you must have the dog responsive to you. see how I phrased that ? I didn't say under control , because the dog still needs to make free and independent decisions . you work as a team .

when you go out into these environments be normal and natural so that the dog recognizes what is and when there is a threat.

move through these environments without the dog zoning out and taking you on HIS walk . that means no sniffing , no barging ahead to sniff utility poles or corners of buildings .

food refusal . food on the ground - a half eaten sandwich , he goes for it and you surprise him with the thunderbolt of a firm NO asap.

the obedience and going out with you will really cement a bond which will bring his want to protect you out .

nicholas jones 01-06-2014 12:29 AM

No I'm asking about increasing his prey drive. I will be doing some more work soon with the trainer on how to play with him, I was just looking for some extra advice/ simple tips. That I could do to increase his prey drive.

bill 01-06-2014 12:56 AM

Does he like the tug? In the old days people used burlap sacks! If he likes tug play with him;
make him miss the tug sometimes; don't feed it to him! When you finish put the tug away; don't let him keep it. Good luck make it fun! Bill

DaniFani 01-06-2014 01:10 AM

Bill, well I must be in the olden days, because my guys favorite thing right now is a burlap sack tied to the end of a rope lol!

The best thing to do is stick with your trainer's program. If I was a trainer it would be exasperating to have a "student" going on forums and trying to get ideas from who know's who, that don't know your dog, and getting advice. Your trainer may want your to focus more on building the dog's confidence right now.

Stop throwing the ball....ball leaves your hand, dog takes off = no interaction with you. Talk to your trainer about a bitework harness, back tying, and teasing. Tease the dog while it's in it's crate....start small in places where the dog displays attention and ignores distraction (at home or in backyard). Make sure you balance between teasing and allowing a grip/win....too many grips, game isn't as fun, too few, the dog doesn't believe he'll get it and he may not try as hard. However, talk to your trainer about all this. What did he tell you that you should be doing at home?

How's the dog's food drive in different areas (some people think their dog has amazing food/ball drive, but then they take the dog to a new area, outside the home, and the dog could care less about food or toy)??

carmspack 01-06-2014 03:04 AM

The trainer said "The trainer stated to start bring him to different places to get him more acclimated to environments"

That is what is most important for personal protection .

Prey emphasis is for sport work . A good PP dog may never see a bite in his life - but when he does it has to be for the right reason and with conviction . Bond with the dog . Do not play and have conflict . This "Tease the dog while it's in it's crate...." I do not agree with at all.
No conflict or game with the owner .

nicholas jones 01-06-2014 03:39 AM

One thing I do, is use two balls. he always bring it back to try and play keep away, but I won't throw the second ball until he drops the first to me. You are right that he wants me to get him use to environments, I am following what he says but I don't think there is anything wrong with seeing other peoples training ideas. I run stuff by him before I do it! I'm new to this stuff. So, I just try to submerge myself with knowledge.