PPD framework for 9 week GSD male. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2013, 01:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default PPD framework for 9 week GSD male.

How is everyone doing? We just purchased another GSD last week. We had to put down our 4 year old female about 6 months ago. She had Lymphoma. She was our first GSD and we def learned A LOT of lessons with her. She had moderate/Severe Elbow and Hip dysphasia. She had many medical problems but she was a very great dog. Once we found out about the hip and elbow problems, my SchH training stopped. I'm still a newbie to training...She was a great family dog.

We finally decided it was time to buy another one. I got male pick of the litter. He came home with us on the 8th. I'm not trying to rush any training or push him fast. I don't want to mess him up. I'm taking it slow with him....I understand any actual protection work won't happen until he is mature.

I'm going to throw out my goals and any other information you might find useful. My main worry is breaking the dogs spirit or doing too much, too soon. I'm all for motivational/positive training. I very interested/determined on learning dog training methods. Everyone trainer has to be a newbie at some point. I understand I will need professional help when it comes to bite work/ and having a decoy.

My goal is to raise Bane(his name) the right way from the start and try to avoid as many set backs as possible. He is a quick learner. He does very well with Sit and Platz....Only took a few minutes to learn the commands. We are trying to take him out and experience as many different things as possible. He loves playing rough with other dogs, which I limit or avoid it all together. We have a 7 year old female Shih Tzu also....He is always wanting to play rough with her....He is a little alligator right now....His teeth are brutal on our feet. We have been trying to redirect him to a toy when he does this....But my wife doesn't tolerate him doing it to our youngest boy. She grabs him by the back of the neck and shakes him....Not for sure if this is okay or not...He is getting better about not biting our feet. He still loves the hands.

A little about me....I'm 31 years old, married, and have two boys. They are 1 1/2 and 4 1/2 years old. I think one of my biggest challenges will be keeping everyone on the same page and staying consistent. My wife is a stay at home mom and I'm a refinery operator who works shift work.

Before picking out which puppy we wanted, we went over all the test results they went through at 7 weeks of age. I played with each male...For some reason I liked Bane. He wasn't bothered one bit when they dropped the metal bucket on the floor. He showed great prey drive, solid nerves, great grip, and shook the "prey" nicely. Before selecting the breeder told me Bane was the pick of the litter. So I'm hoping this will account for something in the years to come..

Sorry for the novel, but I wanted to provide as much information as possible. Feel free to comment with any questions or things I need to focus on.

Jeremy
Jmoore728 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2013, 04:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

stop shaking the pup by it's neck fur. you can gently pull the dog
away usuing his neck fur and raise your voice a little. find a trainer
and explain to them your goals.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2013, 05:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

I didn't explain it right....She is grabbing him by the coat fur behind the neck when correcting him....I explained to her that we need to start redirecting him to something else....Thanks for posting your concerns. I agree with you....Trainers in my area are slim to none... I plan to do most formal training at the kennel I bought him from. Thanks for the comment
Old 11-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would not correct a young puppy for doing what they naturally do....biting is a given and either keep the puppy very busy with chews or crate him so he won't be trying to chew on the kids or your little dog.
GSD's play very rough and it isn't fair to your other dog.

I would get a flirtpole and wear him out with it. Use his mealtime to track him(tracking is mental exercise)

There are times when pups act naughty, when they are overtired....so make sure pup is in a good frame of mind when allowed to be with your kids and little dog.
If you want a confident dog that has stable temperament, you need to keep the corrections to a minimum, and redirect him or manage him...set him up to succeed so he won't need correcting. Pups can learn manners without it breaking their spirit or confidence.
Good to hear you have the breeder to work with you on training.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Man, Bane is a popular name right now :-). I am also about to get a pup that I will be doing bitework with. I am working closely with my training director and club to ensure that I don't mess him up (even though I'm sure I will mess up a ton lol). The biggest thing we've been discussing is not to inhibit any drives...not much obedience, never chasing the dog down to take something away, no corrections, setting the pup up for success, etc...Outside of not inhibiting the bite, the most important (it seems at this age) is to maintain a conflict-free relationship with the puppy. This is why I will be, as onyx-girl pointed out, only setting the puppy up for success. If he gets something in his mouth I'll call him over, say things like "whatchu got?! That's nice, brav"etc and try and get the dog to hold it while I pet him etc...this is supposed to nurture the dog's relationship with me...I've made the mistake of doing the typical chase down, and take whatever it is away, and it leads to conflict between the dog and I when I step into the picture in bitework (crummy grip, spitting the sleeve, chewing, etc). If it's something he really can't have I run away from him yelling, "what do you have??" Excitedly and trade him for food when he gets to me.

I have a one year old rottie that I am working until I get my pup. I've implemented all these things I was told and it's really improved everything for us. Although she's older and we're doing obedience now. I guess the biggest advice I'd give is, make sure you have a good Training director/club/trainer that you are working closely with. There is a lot of simple things that "normal" people do with their dogs, that can screw up and cause problems in the pup later on when you ask it to do bitework. Your wife really needs to be on board with this too, otherwise I would suggest crating the pup while your at work and just have the wife let him out for potty/food breaks....but little interaction. Bitework/protection work is serious work. The dogs can be house dogs...but there are more rules (or less, depending on how you look at it lol) and things to watch out for.

Who's your breeder? Is he from lines that do well in bitework? Good luck! And we love puppy pics around here!

Last edited by DaniFani; 11-17-2013 at 10:56 AM.
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

is your wife holding him behind his neck and shaking him?
stop shaking him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
stop shaking the pup by it's neck fur. you can gently pull the dog away usuing his neck fur and raise your voice a little. find a trainer and explain to them your goals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmoore728 View Post
I didn't explain it right....She is grabbing him by the coat fur behind the neck when correcting him....

I explained to her that we need to start redirecting him to something else....Thanks for posting your concerns. I agree with you....Trainers in my area are slim to none... I plan to do most formal training at the kennel I bought him from. Thanks for the comment
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

There wasn't any shaking...She was correcting him by grabbing his coat fur behind the neck and re-directing him. Me stating she was shaking him is false...My assumption was wrong.

As far as the pedigree he comes from, it looks very good. But nothing is promised. I just want to make **** sure I do things the right way and bring out all of his potential....
Banes dad is Omako Vom Fleisherheim. He will be 3 years old in January and his protection/bite work is coming along very nice. The breeder said he is doing very well...

Banes Grandfather is Ken Vom Rosenblick. Ken had great scores in his protection work (SchH 3)I think he scored 95, 96, and 94...I understand SchH is very different than actual PP work. Banes Grandfather Ken came from Dux de Cuatro Flores.

We have had Bane for 8 days....My main focus right now is taking him to as many places as I can and some basic obedience with treats.

My wife is on board. I'm keeping her busy reading and watching different things regarding raising this puppy....She understands that everything needs to stay positive and no negative corrections should be taking place at this time. We have this well established now.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmoore728 View Post
There wasn't any shaking...She was correcting him by grabbing his coat fur behind the neck and re-directing him. Me stating she was shaking him is false...My assumption was wrong.

As far as the pedigree he comes from, it looks very good. But nothing is promised. I just want to make **** sure I do things the right way and bring out all of his potential....
Banes dad is Omako Vom Fleisherheim. He will be 3 years old in January and his protection/bite work is coming along very nice. The breeder said he is doing very well...

Banes Grandfather is Ken Vom Rosenblick. Ken had great scores in his protection work (SchH 3)I think he scored 95, 96, and 94...I understand SchH is very different than actual PP work. Banes Grandfather Ken came from Dux de Cuatro Flores.

We have had Bane for 8 days....My main focus right now is taking him to as many places as I can and some basic obedience with treats.

My wife is on board. I'm keeping her busy reading and watching different things regarding raising this puppy....She understands that everything needs to stay positive and no negative corrections should be taking place at this time. We have this well established now.
You asked what to do to lay the framework for bitework....you've had several answers. That's great that he comes from lines at least performing in IPO. IPO is def different than protection. Hopefully your pup will be able to handle the unique pressure applied during protection. Unfortunately a lot of dogs can't cut it in protection, regardless of training. It's harder to find in showlines (it's hard to find nowadays in lots of lines), but that doesn't mean it's not there, only time will tell.

Is the kennel name German Shepherd Breeders, Puppies & Trained Dogs for Sale | Fleischerheim German Shepherds Holy moly is that a huge kennel!! In over 5 states, cray cray! I'm glad you have a trainer to work with.
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Bane is from Brush Creek Kennels
vom Haus Berg German Shepherds - Stillwater, OK.

My vet was into breeding and titling dogs with her back in his day. He is still very active with the kennel I believe. She took a break from breeding for a couple years and worked on dog rescue. She said 2 years of that was all she could take. I'm sure they see all kinds of neglect, and God knows what else. I trust her 100%.

I met both of Banes Parents. His mother is very confident....Dad is also. The kennel had a Scott Hedger seminar set up but due to scheduling conflicts, it got re scheduled for next spring. Banes dad was going to be worked in the seminar. I will have to wait a little longer on seeing him in action, I do plan on working with the breeder on any formal training. They don't do much outside training anymore, they try to focus on helping their customers that own their dogs.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

As far working bloodline/ show line blood lines, I'm still learning the different traits. I know the breeder focuses on keeping the working traits in her dogs. She also likes a certain look, but focuses on keeping the breed to the standard and trying to improve it. She really liked the development of Omako's (Mako) protection training so she used him as a stud for this litter. If protection work turns out being something that won't fit this dog, I will seek other jobs for him... I'm hoping I can gain a lot of experience with this dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.