Training Methods - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Training Methods

Hello there,

I've been researching different trainers, looking for someone to work with, or someone I can learn from in training my own pup once I find the right one. I have found a variety of "options" out there - some places want you to leave your dog with them for a month and they "magically" come out as a perfectly well-mannered dog. Some places charge you an arm, a leg, and your first born (and your dog's first born) and all you get is basic obedience. There are a few I have seen that I'm impressed with - they train you AND your dog, so your dog bonds with you, and not a stranger. Makes sense to me.

The most astonishing thing I have found is a "trainer" claiming to use violence to train them to real life situations. They boldly claim to use a "hard bamboo stick" AGAINST your dog ("so they know aggression") and they will also "push" your dog "hard into: doors, walls, counters, tables, and chairs. This, like any combative training, helps to condition and ensure that they will stay in the fight."

They claim that their dogs are "compassionate, loving family members as well as precise, effective tools..." So...hitting a dog with a stick makes him compassionate. Oh ****, I've been doing it wrong for years.

Really? Is this truly NECESSARY? Abuse my dog so he will attack anyone wanting to break into my home?

Please forgive me if this sounds ignorant, but is that sort of abuse truly the best way to train a dog? It sounds like a poor method to me. Has anyone ever heard of this sort of "training" and its effectiveness? Don't get me wrong, I would never buy a dog from a "trainer" like that, nor would I ever train my dog by showing him the "real world" in that manner...I'm curious to know if anyone has heard of this sort of thing?

Here's the website: Ultimate K9 | Protection Dog Training | Milwaukee, WI
burdock87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

I wonder what is the law in US about cruelty to animals? There must have been such cases in the court! Any good trainer would tell you that separation with his owner causes a terrible trauma for any dog. These poor dogs end in shelters, absolutely psychologically damaged. Nobody can train them any further.
The dog should never be blamed of being agressive, only human could be the reason. That is true even for ASTs. Many people who claim here that their dogs are non-agressive GSDs - simply do not realize that that is their nice personalities make their dogs so lovely. Sweet voice makes your dog sweet, it's easy. If there is a harmony in the family - dogs wouldn't bite children. The worst scenario - when the two argue in high pitched tunes, than, just wait, one of them would be bitten, if not both.
To fight agressiveness in agressive GSD is the most wrong thing to do. Instead - you fool him. If he is young, he will forget his bad experience, if treated nicely first of all. Your answer to all your questions is in the dog's hunger. Even if he is not much food driven, wait until he is very hungry. Feed him one of his daily meals out of hand for a week. By putting a tiny pieces on your palm train him to lick your open palms. Train him to receive a slice of cheese out of your mouth. Walking in the house make him following you by feeding one bit at a time some kibble. But, don't give it for nothing, ask him to sit, bark, etc. Avoid any forbidding commands, if you don't like something call your dog to yourself and ask to sit for a treat. Just agree with his dominance for a while, ignore his self-protectiveness. Agression in GSD is nothing else but outgrown fear, as the fear differs from agression only in amount of adrenaline in the blood. Your dog was abused, and it is not your fault.
Find a professional Schutzhund club and start obedience there. But... Don't tell them your story, it would scare them.

Last edited by David Taggart; 10-17-2013 at 07:15 PM.
David Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

By the way... In training a guard dog ( different than Schutzhund sport protection), in order to cause pain a whip is used, never a stick. A stick can cause damage to the liver, kidneys, and even break the rib of the dog.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have never trained in PP. however, I believe it is very common and part of training a true PPD to really push them. To have the decoy truly act like a threat.

In a true situation, a perp is going to hit, kick, slam a dog into any surface they can to stop the attack. The dogs need to be trained to handle that type of offensive attack from the perp. True PPD dogs are not born. They have to be trained to continue the attack no matter what is happening to them.

I doubt this is the correct trainer for what you want to achieve with your dog. But if you were looking for a dog that would NOT bite and run and truly engage with a threat, then maybe.

All this said, I did not even go to the website. Just went off what you posted.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 10-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
True PPD dogs are not born. They have to be trained to continue the attack no matter what is happening to them.

I would disagree with this. They are certainly trained to promote drive and fight, however it takes a very special temperament. Most dogs, even most national level bite sport dogs will pick flight over fight when it comes to a TRUE confrontation. It takes a very special dog to not back done from those situations. Those are temperaments the dog is born with.

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Most dogs, even most national level bite sport dogs will pick flight over fight when it comes to a TRUE confrontation.
That's right. One dog amazed me at our Schutzhund club. She was the only one unmuzzled and unleashed, because she wasn't agressive to other dogs. While we were drinking coffe in the hallway, she dragged dirty suite to our decoy and started to bark at him, clearly saying:"Let's go! It's enough!" This illustrates the relationship between the dog and his "prey" in Shutzhund.
In guard training, which has nothing to do with the sports, the story is different. The guard dog, as any other working dog, must have specific upbringing in accordance to the future role. A guard dog is a raised killer, probably one in hundred GSD puppies are born with necessary qualities. From the very first day with his owner/handler he learns to dominate over the human. He is threatened in different ways different times of the day and night, and in struggle, or pretended struggle, he must always win. Beating him with a whip or a bat, kicking him ( that should be done professionally, so, not to cause any damage) and suffocating him on the ground is meant to inspire more confidence in the dog, it teaches him to avoid the kicks and hits. His determination to pull the decoy down shoud help him to ignore any type of a gun shot, or any other distractive noise. You should have a very special reason to wish to have such a dog, but, I suppose, someone cannot sleep in peace without.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis_Star View Post
I would disagree with this. They are certainly trained to promote drive and fight, however it takes a very special temperament. Most dogs, even most national level bite sport dogs will pick flight over fight when it comes to a TRUE confrontation. It takes a very special dog to not back done from those situations. Those are temperaments the dog is born with.

You are right. There is a lot that goes into a true PPD. Basic temperament being one of them. But even the most solidly tempered dog HAS to learn to fight THROUGH the attack of the perp. This is not something that most dogs are born with. It has to be trained, BUT can only be trained correctly in to a dog with the correct temperament. So I conceded to that.

It would be very rare for a dog, of any temperament, without training, to fight through a true attack by the perp.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post

It would be very rare for a dog, of any temperament, without training, to fight through a true attack by the perp.

And I'll agree 100% to that

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Its very easy to sensationalize this topic which the op is doing. Phrases like abuse your dog kind of turn the discussion into a "when did you start beating your wife?" type of question. Imo proper protection starts with a motivational foundation in bitework and obedience. You build the dogs confidence and technique. Once you have a solid foundation you can layer on pressure. Yes that to my mind includes hard stick hits and pushing the dog into things, screaming etc. The more pressure you apply in training the more prepped the dog is for the real deal imo.

However, if they like some pp trainers are just taking your green dog back tying him and beating him till he bites thats not a good thing.
Such shy animals are in all circumstances an encumbrance to their owner, who must be ashamed of such a dog, and a disgrace to their race. Under no circumstances whatever must they be used for breeding, however noble and striking they may appear.
Blitzkrieg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

I can see both sides of the argument - that by teaching the dog to go through the pain, through whatever...he can protect his human. But it seems a little extreme to use a stick, and to push, kick, and throw the dog around.

Honestly, I would never use a trainer I question...but I was curious about whether or not this sort of "abuse" (my opinion, might not be anyone else's) is a successful training technique. It seems to me that it would teach your dog to bite at every loud voice or bump. Hm
burdock87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.