Dog's behavior before and after protection training. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dog's behavior before and after protection training.

Hey guys, i would like to know more about protection training benefits.
how was your dog's behavior before protection training and after protection training
thanks and have a nice day
R-a-m-b-o is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The same
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
hunterisgreat is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Gryffon the same. He switches it on and off as needed. This comes from appropriate temperament - either the dog has it or not.

Keeta's got better. Boosted her confidence and gave her a positive, rewarding outlet for her energies.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-a-m-b-o View Post
Hey guys, i would like to know more about protection training benefits.
how was your dog's behavior before protection training and after protection training
thanks and have a nice day
Many years ago we had a GSD who had let in a burglar. I had him protection trained on the advice of the police who investigated the scene. After a month the dog came back and bit a neighbor child on the head and became very aggressive towards others. He was a gentle dog before and the training had ruined him. I think that whole biting training has confused the heck out of him. It was heartbreaking. WD will never be subjected to this. His looks and obedience for me will do plenty.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Many years ago we had a GSD who had let in a burglar. I had him protection trained on the advice of the police who investigated the scene. After a month the dog came back and bit a neighbor child on the head and became very aggressive towards others. He was a gentle dog before and the training had ruined him. I think that whole biting training has confused the heck out of him. It was heartbreaking. WD will never be subjected to this. His looks and obedience for me will do plenty.
This is a perfect example of an unsuitable dog being ruined by bad training. Not your fault, you trusted the advice of the police, who probably had no insight into the temperament of your dog, and you trusted the trainer, who was unscrupulous and used questionable methods to train a dog that was not cut out for protection training in the first place. That is why when there is a discussion about the safety/dangers/appropriateness of protection training, the answers focus more on the correct temperament of the dog vs. the training itself (assuming the training is done properly).

The best training in the world won't make a dog with an incorrect temperament for protection into a safe protection dog.

A dog with the correct temperament and the right training can tap into their inner natural protectiveness and bring it out when appropriate.

I'm really sorry you had this bad experience wolfy dog, I can see how that would affect you - another reason why in general people won't recommend sending a dog away for protection training, and those of us who are interested in Protection training for real or for sport, find a club or a good trainer and do the training ourselves.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

I've been taking Gunnar to PP classes since he was a small pup. Most of this class is comprised of obedience, since that is what's required more so than hard biting.

When we transition to the actuall bite scenarios its clear to all present who's dogs love this, and who's dogs obey as a service to the owner and who's dogs are not interested.

After participating for the last 10 months I've seen people come and go. I've seen all dogs grow in their obedience and some dogs have really grown to be good at biting on command.

I've also seen the trainers tell some folks that their dog is not stable enough or does not have the right personality for PP work.

As for my dog, he's learning obedience more than anything else and I'm learning training commands and how to read my dog. The bite work is sort of like the excitement that makes both of us love to go to obedience class.
Thorny is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Before: Excited.
After: Exhausted.

Just kidding.

Zefra is very capable of turning it on for protection and shutting it right off when the threat has dissipated.

She has actually come off the field and hung out with little kids right after (field side) when she was completed. Totally happy and WIGGLY to be around the babies.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default protection training for family dog

I also have some questions on if I should or should not do protection training with our 10 month old male. We have a lot of kids ranging from 4 to 13 in our family and plenty of friends that come and go. We did a practice run with a gentleman who is a retired police dog trainer. He had me hold Nashoba by my side and he then acted strange and sort of longed toward me. It only took about 2 tries and my dog went nuts barking. We then had him approach in a friendly manner with my command 'it's ok' and he seemed good. I just don't want to teach my dog to be mean to just anyone but I fear he could become more on guard just in general. Is this a good idea with so many children in our home? He does seem naturally protective anyways with no training.
Nashoba's mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 01:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashoba's mom View Post
I also have some questions on if I should or should not do protection training with our 10 month old male. We have a lot of kids ranging from 4 to 13 in our family and plenty of friends that come and go. We did a practice run with a gentleman who is a retired police dog trainer. He had me hold Nashoba by my side and he then acted strange and sort of longed toward me. It only took about 2 tries and my dog went nuts barking. We then had him approach in a friendly manner with my command 'it's ok' and he seemed good. I just don't want to teach my dog to be mean to just anyone but I fear he could become more on guard just in general. Is this a good idea with so many children in our home? He does seem naturally protective anyways with no training.
IMHO never with so many kids around and coming and going. You may end up with a big problem like me in the past. And I think you took a huge risk putting him to the test before he was trained what to do. It can easily turn bad when he starts to consider everyone that comes in your home to be crazy. To me it is playing with fire. I would work on his calm behavior in the presence of you and others.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 01:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg

I have to agree with Wolfy dog there's too many children in your household, friends where the dog could get confused it would be a potential nightmare for you.

On the flipside, I remember seeing a television program regarding the Connecticut cat burglar that was stealing sterling silver in some of the highest income areas in the state. He was befriending the animals so at certain points and circumstances somebody who's a dog person might be able to slip by certain animals.

I would suggest training the dog yourself that way you know what training the dog goes through and that it's not being abused just to be mean. One bad attack and you and the dogs are in big trouble, it's just not worth it, if it's only stuff.
sehrgutcsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.