Security dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Security dogs

There really isn't a place on this forum to discuss dogs who are working K9's with security companies, so I figured this was as close as I was going to get.

I live in an apartment building and our old security guard use to work with a K9 security partner in the Toronto, ON area.

He said there were 3 dogs active with the company he worked for. He, along with 4 other guards were handlers for said dogs. They did no real training other than a few training scenarios every few months he said.

The dogs were kenneled during their "off hours" at the security companies facility, they did not go home with their handlers.

Just a few questions regarding this:

1. How would you say these dogs were trained? PPD? PSA? Police wash outs? No set regiment?

2. Liability - if the dog was to actually deliver a bite, who would be liable? The company I am presuming?

3. Is there a license or certificate or the like for these sorts of dogs? I understand that active K9 officers are certified, would a security dog need some sort of similar certification as well?

I am sure I will come up with more questions as I continue reading but just thought I would ask here. I am very curious about this - especially for those in Canada.

Thanks all!

elisabeth_00117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'd say they are not trained
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I know of a company/person here in Ontario that does train for security and I believe he also imports. Well known and heavily involved in the breed as well.

Just wondering what "style" of training (if any) would be used?

Old 02-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth_00117 View Post
I know of a company/person here in Ontario that does train for security and I believe he also imports. Well known and heavily involved in the breed as well.

Just wondering what "style" of training (if any) would be used?
It's all over the place. Police dogs, security dogs, ppd dogs, all run the full spectrum from trash to epically good. It's the Wild West. I know of police dogs I am horrified to know are police dogs.
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Same Hunter, same.. lol.

I guess I was wondering if there was some sort of govern over these type of dogs, and if so, what or who would it be?

Old 02-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Basically, can I take a dog, and say it is a "security dog" because I bring it to work with me as a security guard?

**I am NOT a security guard.. lol..

Old 02-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
x11
Banned

different regulation in every area i would guess, i am a licenced guard. requires a crowd controllers licence, a security guard licence, a dog handlers licence for security, radio operator and first aid.

EVERY bite goes to court and has to determined by a jury to be within guidelines, the guard is on their own.

we basically have to be assaulted to justify a bite, their is no justification to bite a fleeing suspect. the code covers defence of a handler as a last resort in an attack on the handler that or defence of someone being attacked, but is a bit more problematic. i have had friends directed by police to allow a bite, friend made sure it was audio recorded and had no prob in court.

it is illegal to be employed as a sg without a licence same as k9 handler. many in the industry are not licenced and can face fines.

training log books and video are not mandatory but can help yr case in court, the better companies make sure all training is documented.

reccomended dog breeds are rott, dobe, shep. for ease thru court, other dogs are in work. some dogs are selected because they won't bite, others are selected cos they will. training is basic as dog is NEVER allowed off leash, re-bites can be considered excessive force.

guys like me do more training cos we like training dogs, others get the job and get handed a dog, could be the first dog they ever had.

temperements are typically low prey high defence, a lot of dogs have been pulled off death-row for the work, many others are well bred dogs that growled at the owners like the large number of dogs on threads here. not that many pups are bought for the work. my dogs is several generations over 30 years bred for this role, big, nasty, sharp.
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

In sweden they must go thru a certification and also must pass a selectiontest performed by the police, same test the policedogs do. So basically it´s a PP dog used for the securityguards protection, but with some limits to what they are allowed to do compared to a policedog.
björn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
x11
Banned

be great to see some standardisation in the industry - police dogs seem to be trending toward finding roles around my area, seems the laws are there to protect the bad guys.
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

In our state, "guard dogs" need to be insured, licensed, and a whole host of other regulations. I am unaware of any laws regarding training requirements or regulations though.
www.vandesterke.com
Tim Connell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.