German Shepherds Forum banner

Kimbers 2nd session back after puppies (video)

3K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  mycobraracr 
#1 ·
Here is a video of Kimbers 2nd session back after her puppies. She's been off for a while and I'm my clubs only decoy so training has been a challenge. This last weekend, I brought a couple decoys out from different parts of the country. Far from perfect, but all in all I'm proud of how she did.

#2 ·
A few stills as well. We didn't get video of it, but we also introduced a new side transport. If the decoy tries to escape, the dog is to bite the leg. Kimber surprised us all and took to the new transport easily.

#4 ·
Yes Sir. PD3 at my trial in April then PD3 in the Nationals Championship in May. I can never get video of her building searches, but they are doing fantastic! I need to work on her alert more, but it took her all of 30 seconds to find the decoy this weekend. It was a high find tucked back in a loft area. Problem was she barked for a few seconds then ran into the hallway looked to me barked at me then ran back in and barked at the decoy, and so on until I got there. So, I new he was there, but I need her to stay barking on him.

#7 ·
Our next title attempt will be the Police Dog 3 for SDA. It starts out with dog in muzzle, and handler firing a gun (normal dog training pistol). Then handler needs to carry dog for a few paces. After that comes the heeling portion. During that, there is no pattern and a decoy is on the field as distraction. The handler has a list of exercises that they need to perform but in any order they want. Then comes the agility portion followed by a passive bite. That's the obedience for a PD3.

The protection starts with a directed search. Basically a blind search but you can do it in any order and decoy can be in any blind. Once dog gets to decoys blind, he runs out and dog gets an escape bite basically. Then comes the pat down and attack on handler. After that is the false start. Handler decoy are arguing, decoy runs away and dog can't move. From there they go to civil scenarios. There are two different muzzle attack scenarios that utilizes a second decoy in regular street clothes. After those, a decoy in street clothes hides in a building and the dog must find them and alert the handler. decoy is in a place dog can't get to them to prevent an accidental bite. Last trial I was hiding in an old meat freezer. The dog gets a certain amount of time depending on size of building.

#9 ·
I have only seen videos of some of the early titles in SDA and then I have watched quite a few videos of PSA since that is what LB's brother, Frank/Fortune, is doing. There looked like there might be a PSA club forming in Indy, but now I can't find it. Would have been something else to do.

#10 ·
Nice! I'm hoping to get Kimbers PSA1 on her this year. There is a newer PSA club a few hours from us. They only get together about once a month. We've been trying to train with them everytime, but puppies got in the way. I'm hoping there will some trials somewhere in California this year. If not I'll have to go to Texas. If Kimber and I get her Police Dog 3 this year, I think she'll be done with SDA. I like the sport titles, once you get past the P1, but I don't know if I'll do them. Maybe if I just feel like trialing haha.

APA is really intriguing me. Mainly because I really like the KNPV program. They are different for sure. Where they put their focus on the dog is very different than other sports. Kinda neat to see.

For me, I don't train to a sport. I train behaviors I like and that I think are practical. This does cost me points in trials, but oh well. I try to incorporate things I've picked up from various venues as well as Police Dog trials I've worked. Heck after one LE trial, I trained Kimber on legs. There was one scenario that stumped a couple of the dogs, and it all came down to legs. So when I see things like that I add it in. Once a moth my group tries to do more of a PPD day. If you can imagine a scenario, then we will try it. I think it helps keep our dogs sharp.

#15 ·
APA is an American version of KNPV. It is getting support from the KNPV program. It's headed up by Mark Leamer. I believe they are in year two of getting it going. As far as I know they are only using KNPV judges and helpers as of now. I was told that no helpers made it passed the written portion of the helper certification at the seminar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.