The danger of video.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default The danger of video..

I was reflecting on this topic while at the club yesterday watching a couple of younger males being worked by the helper. I have seen these dogs as pups and watched their progression
Both dogs bite like alligators, have piles of prey drive are good sport dogs. Not great but decent. Niether dog is stud or top sport material just very average.
However, the prey drive they both have make them look very good if you arent aware of all the subtleties in their progression.

Ironically the one dog that is more sound in the nerve dept will probably score lower in the protection phase then his counterpart due to some small subtleties in the bitework.

Anyways, I was thinking that I could easily shoot a rocking vid of the dogs doing line bites, striking and gripping, being driven, B&H etc. They would look very good and I could say top sport, extreme, all the usual catch phrases.

For those of us who browse the classifieds and see all the young dogs being sold with vid for big $$ this is food for thought. I know I am sometimes tempted to pull the trigger.
Its always said that you cant trust vid but this really brought it home for me.
Makes you wonder how many of these average or below dogs are being sold as top quality sport/stud prospects. Id say about 99%.

UNdoubtedly with the right handler both dogs could probably do ok at the reagional level. One would probably be suitable for PP or LE work however I would not pay what these dogs would easily fetch on the open market.
Such shy animals are in all circumstances an encumbrance to their owner, who must be ashamed of such a dog, and a disgrace to their race. Under no circumstances whatever must they be used for breeding, however noble and striking they may appear.
Blitzkrieg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 06:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Who would pay this big money? No national level trainer is going to buy a dog based off videos.

Not sure where you live but no police department around here goes searching for dogs at schutzhund clubs.
simba405 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 07:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Explain the contradiction in this statement "Both dogs bite like alligators, have piles of prey drive are good sport dogs."
with your next thought
" Not great but decent. Niether dog is stud or top sport material just very average."

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 07:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simba405 View Post
Who would pay this big money? No national level trainer is going to buy a dog based off videos.

Not sure where you live but no police department around here goes searching for dogs at schutzhund clubs.
Lol most PDs buy from brokers and infact many officers of smaller depts do procure their dog on their own. You do realize that many PD dogs are sport washouts and or from sport programs right?

Most clubs also have brokers and breeder that sell to PDs too. So no the cops dont necessarily come to the club when they want a dog they go to their sources many of which are involved with and have contacts in the sport world.
Such shy animals are in all circumstances an encumbrance to their owner, who must be ashamed of such a dog, and a disgrace to their race. Under no circumstances whatever must they be used for breeding, however noble and striking they may appear.

Last edited by Blitzkrieg1; 06-23-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think that most people who purchase a dog for a ton of money based solely on video clips gets what they deserve. No danger in common sense.
GatorDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 07:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
Explain the contradiction in this statement "Both dogs bite like alligators, have piles of prey drive are good sport dogs."
with your next thought
" Not great but decent. Niether dog is stud or top sport material just very average."
Good and great are not the same. Average and exceptional are also not the same.

Whats there to explain?
Old 06-23-2014, 07:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
I think that most people who purchase a dog for a ton of money based solely on video clips gets what they deserve. No danger in common sense.
Seems to happen a lot around here. I hear numbers like 17-20k being spent on average dogs. Personally I wouldnt spend 5 on an average dog.

There are many people that have dreams of competing at top levels that do buy dog sight unseen from aquantences. Not to mention that what one person deems great is not necessarily my great.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg1 View Post
Lol most PDs buy from brokers and infact many officers of smaller depts do procure their dog on their own. You do realize that many PD dogs are sport washouts and or from sport programs right?
Hogwash- well at least on the US.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack
with your next thought

Good and great are not the same. Average and exceptional are also not the same.

Whats there to explain?

within a couple of words the dogs seem to keep being demoted from good to decent and average, yet they have the usual requisites for the sport - the bite like alligators and tons of prey drive.

So if they have "that" , then what prevents them from being more .

is the handler or the trainer responsible for this "However, the prey drive they both have make them look very good if you arent aware of all the subtleties in their progression"

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 08:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
Hogwash- well at least on the US.
My local PD just got a SchH female....not hogwash. I know because I train with the family of the asst chief.

Lots of PD's in the US get dogs that were started in the sport, some even titled. I know more that came from Ring though.
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.