German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Other Protection Sports (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/other-protection-sports/)
-   -   Pattern, Pattern, Pattern, Pattern, Pattern.... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/other-protection-sports/431633-pattern-pattern-pattern-pattern-pattern.html)

mycobraracr 03-31-2014 12:00 AM

Pattern, Pattern, Pattern, Pattern, Pattern....
 
I hate seeing people only work the pattern! That's NOT TRAINING! Pattern, pattern, pattern, pattern. It's memorization! It's the equivalent of teachers teaching to a test and not curriculum. Pattern, pattern, pattern, pattern! It gets on my nerves! Your dog wouldn't anticipate if it didn't know what was coming next! Pattern, pattern, pattern! Ahh!!!! Rant over now.

onyx'girl 03-31-2014 12:04 AM

I never work the pattern, other than doing the sendout after the retrieve work. I don't mind the dog anticipating that part of the routine.

gsdsar 03-31-2014 12:05 AM

I have to admit, I caught myself doing this the other day. I know better.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

mycobraracr 03-31-2014 12:14 AM

I just hate seeing it. In obedience or protection. Train the dog to do what you tell it when you tell it. It's okay to work scenarios of a routine, but break it up! Geeze! Don't just run the full pattern every time you "train".


Edit: As a helper, I really hate doing it! Over and over! Talk about boring!

gsdsar 03-31-2014 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mycobraracr (Post 5298641)
I just hate seeing it. In obedience or protection. Train the dog to do what you tell it when you tell it. It's okay to work scenarios of a routine, but break it up! Geeze! Don't just run the full pattern every time you "train".


I agree. And I kick myself when I catch myself. I prefer to break things up. But it's tough when you are preparing for a trial. You wanna make sure you got the routine down. So I catch myself running through it.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

mycobraracr 03-31-2014 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsdsar (Post 5298657)
I agree. And I kick myself when I catch myself. I prefer to break things up. But it's tough when you are preparing for a trial. You wanna make sure you got the routine down. So I catch myself running through it.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App


I completely understand wanting to be sure you have the pattern down before a trial. The way I see it though, if you're ready to trial your dog should know what to do in those circumstances. For example, you can work your foot work for an about turn without heeling for fifty paces first. You can work sit and downs in motion without doing them in any order or facing a specific direction. The handler can walk the pattern without the dog to get a feel for it. In both ob and protection. You can work blinds without doing a call out and escape. The list can go forever.

hunterisgreat 03-31-2014 12:32 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mycobraracr (Post 5298641)
I just hate seeing it. In obedience or protection. Train the dog to do what you tell it when you tell it. It's okay to work scenarios of a routine, but break it up! Geeze! Don't just run the full pattern every time you "train".


Edit: As a helper, I really hate doing it! Over and over! Talk about boring!

Reality: it's an easier and quicker path to points on a sheet. It's not teaching a behavior though.

Baillif 03-31-2014 12:36 AM

Do mondio. No pattern

Zahnburg 03-31-2014 12:55 AM

As far as IPO goes; Don't "rant" about things you don't understand. After more than a few years doing this sport I have found that those who are ardently opposed to "pattern training" and "want a 'real' dog who will respond in every circumstance" never do well and never really understand training. They can never grasp how each exercise leads to the next and how to use one exercise to either make or relieve pressure for the next.

If you are doing helper work and find it "boring" then you truly do not understand the nuances of the work. Truly, it is working within the pattern and refining the little things where a true helper shines. A trained monkey can make a dog bite or show aggression or show any behavior when he is free to act as he wills. It takes a true helper to have a dog display the best behaviors while working within the narrow constructs of the routine.

mycobraracr 03-31-2014 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zahnburg (Post 5298753)
As far as IPO goes; Don't "rant" about things you don't understand. After more than a few years doing this sport I have found that those who are ardently opposed to "pattern training" and "want a 'real' dog who will respond in every circumstance" never do well and never really understand training. They can never grasp how each exercise leads to the next and how to use one exercise to either make or relieve pressure for the next.

If you are doing helper work and find it "boring" then you truly do not understand the nuances of the work. Truly, it is working within the pattern and refining the little things where a true helper shines. A trained monkey can make a dog bite or show aggression or show any behavior when he is free to act as he wills. It takes a true helper to have a dog display the best behaviors while working within the narrow constructs of the routine.


So only the exercises in the pattern, in the order of the pattern can relieve pressure? Which one is a trained monkey? A good helper should be able to read the dog and do what it needs at that time. Weather that's relieving pressure or adding it.

Oh I believe you that dogs that are only worked in a pattern do better. Just like students who are only taught the answers to a test do better. Doesn't make it right IMO. Also to clarify I'm not talking about any specific sport.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2