German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Other Protection Sports (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/other-protection-sports/)
-   -   Very Cool Sport! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/other-protection-sports/375753-very-cool-sport.html)

RaigenB 12-04-2013 12:05 AM

Very Cool Sport!

Hello all. I'm new to the forum. I don't have a GSD, just doing my homework before making a decision :)

I never knew this was a sport! How cool! What is the actually name of it?

Is there a thread that can tell me about it? I'd love to read about how you get the dog to bite, and release on que. Very neat! :)

Nigel 12-04-2013 12:09 AM

Are you referring to schutzhund?

TrickyShepherd 12-04-2013 12:30 AM

There's lots of them out there. Lots of different types.

Most popular protection sports here in the US at the moment:

Schutzhund (IPO) - 3 phase sport. Tracking, Obedience, Protection. United Schutzhund Clubs of America ? Schutzhund Training

Protection Sports Association (PSA) - Obedience and controlled protection work. Basically a civilian protection dog.
About PSA K9 | PSA K9

and of course the wonderful Wiki to list some of the others:
List of protection sports - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To answer your question: For all of the those listed above- Lots and lots of professional training with the right dog (proper temperament, nerves, and drives). Obedience must be solid and remain top of the list for importance.

Have fun with your research! :)

RaigenB 12-04-2013 05:43 AM

Thank you for listing those! Very interesting.

And with the professional, would that be the kind of training that you would attend with your dog? Just curious because I've heard of dogs being sent off to have the training done, and once they're back home, the dog is not the same. As in showing aggression to its owner and family.

I'm not even for sure if anyone around my area does that kind of training. I'll have to do some research

RaigenB 12-04-2013 06:04 AM

Found a business that has multiple training facilities and there are a couple that's close to me :) They said that is 2-4 classes in length (depending on what you want done with your dog). And that you can be there with your dog or they can come to you.

Here's the link if you want to check it out. Maybe to see if you think it's a good program?
www.conifercanine.com

lhczth 12-04-2013 10:10 AM

If you would like to go watch some schutzhund/IPO training, I would contact O.G. Indianapolis SchH and Polizei. They are currently meeting on the east side of Indy.
O.G. Indianapolis Schutzhund and Polizei

Another club in the Indy area is:
O.G. Landshark

RaigenB 12-04-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhczth (Post 4610081)
If you would like to go watch some schutzhund/IPO training, I would contact O.G. Indianapolis SchH and Polizei. They are currently meeting on the east side of Indy.
O.G. Indianapolis Schutzhund and Polizei

Another club in the Indy area is:
O.G. Landshark

Ok cool, thanks!

Chris Wild 12-04-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaigenB (Post 4609457)
Found a business that has multiple training facilities and there are a couple that's close to me :) They said that is 2-4 classes in length (depending on what you want done with your dog). And that you can be there with your dog or they can come to you.

Here's the link if you want to check it out. Maybe to see if you think it's a good program?
www.conifercanine.com

There's no protection training or bite sport that can be accomplished in 2-4 classes. Proper training in these venues takes a couple of years.

I'd echo Lisa's recommendation to check out the Indy SchH clubs if you want to learn more about this sort of training.

RaigenB 12-04-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Wild (Post 4610993)
There's no protection training or bite sport that can be accomplished in 2-4 classes. Proper training in these venues takes a couple of years.

I'd echo Lisa's recommendation to check out the Indy SchH clubs if you want to learn more about this sort of training.

Ya I read it wrong. The seminar they have is 2-4 days long. Not the class