"You're an idiot!" - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default "You're an idiot!"

Just in the past couple days, I have been told by a few different people that I'm an idiot for being a decoy. I really don't see it that way. I'm sure to some it just looks like I'm a chew toy but I see it as science. I know to most it looks like decoys just get bit but there is so much more to it than that. I don't know, I just love it. Seeing dogs I work progress brings enjoyment to me. Seeing dogs I work get titled and do well in trials brings enjoyment to me. Maybe I'm just sic. I don't mind the bruises and punctures. To me it's all part of the job.

Anyone else been told they are an idiot for beign a decoy/helper? What do you say to these people?
mycobraracr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have no experience being a decoy and I've only seen decoys working in videos and during police demonstrations. Honestly, the majority wont understand because it's hard to believe someone would volunteer to have a dog coming at them all teeth. I know I've always wanted to at least try it. It's one of those experiences on my bucket list. if you enjoy it, that's all that matters. You're in a exclusive club.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Not a decoy yet but when I get some time planning on getting the training done. Joe blow doesnt understand the ART inherent in every part of dog training.
Its like your creating a masterpiece. First you must have the right canvas, then the right quality of paint, then a goal/s, the skill and tenacity to complete the piece. Not to mention the clean up and polish at the end.
Dog training is like that, you must have the right dog, tools, goals, mentors, helpers and patients. Then you start your foundation, teach the behaviors, add distractions, teach more behavior, rinse and repeat. Then you put it all together, add more distractions and continue to polish and improve for the duration of the dogs life.

The Helper is one of the pillars to success in creating your training master piece. Joe public will never understand this.

Its no accident that the best trainers and competitors are often helpers as well, and good ones at that!
Such shy animals are in all circumstances an encumbrance to their owner, who must be ashamed of such a dog, and a disgrace to their race. Under no circumstances whatever must they be used for breeding, however noble and striking they may appear.
Blitzkrieg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Tell people to MTOB. ( Mind their own business.) Sheesh; there are some rude people in the world!
Nikitta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Thanks everyone. For some reason it kinda got to me when multiple people said it. It has really become my obsession. Honestly I enjoy it more than handling. I really see it as calculated risk. I understand things can happen and I except that, but we take every procaution to keep eachother safe. So I don't see how that makes someone an idiot.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

oh I hate when people judge you for what you love doing. I'm not decoy but I love mountain biking and I have always some bruises on me ( I crush a lot). Being told i'm just crazy, well I know and I don't care. It is great to have passion in your live.
andreaB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2013, 08:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

They're just enviouse of you. Thats how I look at people who offer thier critical opinions like that where it's not warrented. They just wish they had the physical and mental fortitude to do what you do. I personaly can see the satisfaction you could get from decoying for dogs.....it's just cool. JMO
jafo220 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm sure skydivers and windsurfers and ice climbers are all "idiots" too.

I look at it as akin to an extreme sport. Yeah, a lot of people are never going to understand what makes someone do things that look (and often are!) dangerous. But if that's what thrills you, hey, go forth and be awesome.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

I don't think your an idiot, crazy maybe ))) (just kidding)

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
I don't think your an idiot, crazy maybe ))) (just kidding)

Haha crazy I can handle. I've always been the "crazy" one. I was special operations in the military, raced cars and motorcycles, but an idiot? I have never felt like an idiot. Every aptitude test I have taken actually says I'm a very intelligent person. I know I'm just as shocked as you guys but it's true haha. I don't know, like I said for some reason it just got to me. I tried to explain it but it's hard to explain to people who will never understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.