finally got my dog biting in prey - please critique grip and drive - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
x11
Banned

Default finally got my dog biting in prey - please critique grip and drive

he is less serious and treating it as more fun which is good;

x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
x11
Banned

aw come on guys someone can give a short critique on where the dog is at in the drive/grip?
Old 04-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Seriously out if my depth here. But I will tell what I saw.

The dog has very nice focus, good drive, nice attention and a solid cap on all of it.

I would not be putting that much control on a basic prey excersise.

His bites tend to start shallow. When the helper does get him to readjust, he does not get rewarded with a win. The fight goes on too long and the grip suffers again.

Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in. I am a bit out if my expertise(if I have any at all) with bite work.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 04-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
x11
Banned

thanks for review, he can bite shallow at times unfortunately, i have been working him in prey to promote a deepr grip altho imo the grips in the vid were quite full most of the time but yes that is a current training issue so good call. he also growls on the sleeve which i know most don't like as they think it is nerve problems?

thanks for comments.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Tapping into SAR training, which actually has some similarities to basic prey bite work, the growling us a sign if an unsure dog.

If your boy is growling/talking on the sleeve, I bet it's because he does not understand what gets him the win. If your helper can be diligent about rewarding quickly for the full bite that should dissipate.

Let him prance around with his "trophy" then the helper can grab the handle and re-engage. Get the full bite and let him win again.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 04-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

OK I'll give it a try....first, I think you might still want more prey. The grip is shallow, looks like he kind of shifts around at times, and there's a lot of growling. The helper is sort of tugging backward but stays locked up with the dog being pulled into him close which might be causing the growling. The mini escape bites I can't really see what the helper is doing beforehand but if you want more prey, the helper should be making prey. It looks more like just sending for bites and then tugging with the sleeve but fairly confrontational tugging. Obviously I can't *feel* the dog but the helper should respond accordingly to the dog. I think there needs to be more prey work in general, not just making it *object* oriented (tugging and possessing the sleeve). I think if you get more prey and more power from the prey the shallow bite problem will correct itself. I guess my question is how is this different from the other work and what makes it more prey?

Here are a few of my show line dog being worked more in prey (he's seen a lot of defense so we're trying to balance him out a bit). This is by no means a gold standard and we are also working on some other things I won't get into here, but you can see the sorts of things the helpers were doing to get more prey (helper is moving around, giving misses, more reactive with the sleeve once the dog bites, lets the dog take him down, sleeve is to the side and not pulled into his chest)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyLlQPUX9aU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kaq3B-cKAr0

(ETA: This is the same dog doing more defensive type exercises, so you can see/hear the difference in the barking and biting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io8W7EkaCwU )
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Last edited by Liesje; 04-11-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
x11
Banned

yeah unfortunately my decoys are not into the whole moving around thing, pretty much stand their stalking and staring down stink eye, yelling at the dog, claw hands in the face, full frontal posture and walk straight into the dog and it bites or runs. i have had a eval/fun session with a schuts decoy who did all that movement stuff, lateral run by's, misses etc and the went into a high state of prey drive, but tht decoy is not readily available.

"I guess my question is how is this different from the other work and what makes it more prey?"

my idea was less confrontation from the decoy, more distance, and the dog has to cover ground to get him/ chase but then again there is no chase just a decoy standing full frontal...sigh.

thanks for comment.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Prey comes from the movement of the target. Not the ground covered between. You need active helpers and helpers that will react to your dog so he doesn't feel like he's working for nothing.
mycobraracr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 08:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

Do you do any barking at all? Not just obedience and biting? I'm new at this but it's hard for me to get a read on the dog and the helper when it's just setting up mini escape bites. I think your dog has a lot more potential than what is demonstrated in the video.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I do not know what your goals are, but either way I can say I like your dog, but I don't like the work.

I do IPO, but I enjoy doing other stuff sometimes. Suit work, fence or car guarding, etc. Either just for fun or because I know my dog has the potential for PP and I need one. Yet, I sorry to say this because I know this was not the intention of your post, I wouldn't let your helper near my dog, because of many reasons.
Catu's Pack

Last edited by Catu; 04-12-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Catu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.