I got laid out - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 12:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default I got laid out

I was beat up today at training (SDA). Everything was going great and then... I went to catch a long bite and I zigged the dog zagged and all I could do was jump up and back as fast as I could to absorb what I could. Next thing I new I was on my face. I hopped up and drove the dog. Thank goodness the dog wasn't hurt so I did okay but man am I sore now. I have a bruise accross my chest from the sleeve and my shoulder doesn't feel the best. I have only been taken down once before and it was on an escape. Nothing like this. Like I said I'm just glad the dog's okay. I will heal the dog may have never recovered. It made me sick to my stomoch to think how bad it could have gone. There is so much invested in that dog I would have felt horrible!
mycobraracr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 12:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

all in all it sounds like it really could have been a whole lot worse. I think the dog will recover. Hope you feel better soon!!! Its that zigging and zagging that gets ya no matter what you're doing! Better luck next time!
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus CAA 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 03:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

What? No video??

But seriously, glad both of you are okay. I think our dogs are a lot tougher than we think they are.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 08:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Most dogs like most helpers/decoys are pretty resilient ....just learn from the experience...lol.
About six months ago I was helping on a patrol dog recertification. The dog had to do a long recall and long running escape bite. Now this was an experienced patrol Mali that is incredibly fast and launches. On full suit long bites he hits in the should blade and takes the decoy down with momentum alone. Anyway, I only have a police sleeve on(no bite bar and no shoulder guard)....I take off running down the field and as the dog takes off I notice that the dog has veered in an arc to the side as he is approaching, knowing he likes to hit the shoulder blade, and he is on my opposite side if I give him a pure runaway bite as is intended with no protection for my shoulder, so at last moment I have to turn around into him for safety purposes. Well he launched at me just below the waist, the momentum and speed of this dog completely blew the sleeve into my thighs and completely leveled me. I thought he had blown my knee out, of course the dog was oblivious to me as it was finishing its job on me on the ground. The dog was very resilient, I took a few minutes to recover, fortunately, the dog passed and there was no more bites for the day....stuff happens out there....trust me.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Thanks for the support everyone. I was having such a great day too. Our head decoy had just finished telling me that if we aren't making mistakes then we aren't learning and progressing then five minutes later WHAM. Maybe it was Gods way of keeping me humble haha. I have been getting told a lot lately how good I am haha.

Thanks for the story Cliff. It's nice to know that even someone with your experience gets caught in those crappy situations.

Oh and there is video and pictures, I just don't have them yet. Our Sunday trainings are all videod and photographed so we can learn from them . I will try and post when I get them.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That is scary! Especially when you know you are sacrificing yourself for the dogs safety. We hardly ever do long bites with Karlo, he's just so stinkin' big and he doesn't really need them often.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
That is scary! Especially when you know you are sacrificing yourself for the dogs safety. We hardly ever do long bites with Karlo, he's just so stinkin' big and he doesn't really need them often.
At my scH club, we do long bites all the time. Well the scenario. The helper runs up pretty close before the dog gets sent so it's not too bad. In my SDA club we also do them all the time but they send all the way accross the field (about 50 yards). These dogs all come in extremely fast! It just sucked! As a helper/decoy, I see it as part of my job to make it as safe as I can for the dog first and me second. I figure I will heal but some of these dogs may never recover from getting jammed. Luckily for this dog it is perfectly okay so it was just a huge win for her.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It use to be the finale of our training session, but my helper would be hurting after catching him, so we just faded them out of the routine(this was my old club's helper) Now, we seldom do them. Maybe one every 4 or 5 sessions. I want my helper(and my dog) to stay uhharmed!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Did it look like this? lmao

SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Oh no Hunter. I flew back at least five feet. Don't worry my face broke my fall haha. I haven't picked up the video yet. I have been out of town training with another club for the week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.