Rough training week and starting to think the unthinkable - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 12:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Rough training week and starting to think the unthinkable

So this week has been a real bad week for training. I have taken many steps back and it's looking like Mina might not be capable of competeing in protection sports. She is 15 months and still has a lot of maturing to do but it's becoming apparent that this may not be her thing. It is very sad as I have put so much time, blood, sweat and tears into this dog. She is a byb dog and I never expected to go far with her but club level and to learn with would have been fun. The problem is that I have gotten way more involved in sport than I ever though I would. She was doing okay with IPO but we recently started SDA (I moved and the SDA group is very well known). They have pointed out many issues they see with her and said they don't think she will ever make it. I am faced with the desicion to either keep trying to get her there or re-home her and start with a dog/puppy that was bred for this stuff. It truly breaks my heart because I love this dog so much. It seems unfair to her since I didn't get her for this but fell into it. I have said that she is my heart dog. I'm just really starting to wonder if it's going to be worth the time and money to keep investing in her to possibly get no titles. I keep telling myself that if I keep working her I will learn a great deal and it will make me so much better for my nex one but..... I don't know. Not sure what I really want out of this thread but just wanted to get it out. Thanks
mycobraracr is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 01:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If she is your heart dog, and you love her, why can't she just be a pet? How can you rehome a dog you say you love just because she can't get you titles?

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 01:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yes you could keep her as pet if it doesnt work out (you could still do the training and maybe she will get better and get another pup that was bred for it. It would be sad to lose a heart dog and the puppy would be confused too.

I got Kono as a pet and then fell into IPO and then found out all the faults she has but I think she would do great with practice and time so Im sticking with it C:

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
-Will Rogers

Last edited by PuppyKono; 01-06-2013 at 01:27 AM.
PuppyKono is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 02:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

how lame is that. your dog isn't doing well with this particular
event so you'll rehome her. if your dog isn't doing well with
this particular event stop doing it. do something else and accept
the fact she reached her limit for this particular event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
So this week has been a real bad week for training. I have taken many steps back and it's looking like Mina might not be capable of competeing in protection sports. She is 15 months and still has a lot of maturing to do but it's becoming apparent that this may not be her thing. It is very sad as I have put so much time, blood, sweat and tears into this dog. She is a byb dog and I never expected to go far with her but club level and to learn with would have been fun. The problem is that I have gotten way more involved in sport than I ever though I would. She was doing okay with IPO but we recently started SDA (I moved and the SDA group is very well known). They have pointed out many issues they see with her and said they don't think she will ever make it.

>>>> I am faced with the desicion to either keep trying to get her there or re-home her and start with a dog/puppy that was bred for this stuff.<<<<

It truly breaks my heart because I love this dog so much. It seems unfair to her since I didn't get her for this but fell into it.

>>>> I have said that she is my heart dog. I'm just really starting to wonder if it's going to be worth the time and money to keep investing in her to possibly get no titles.<<<< I keep telling myself that if I keep working her I will learn a great deal and it will make me so much better for my nex one but..... I don't know. Not sure what I really want out of this thread but just wanted to get it out. Thanks
doggiedad is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 04:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'll take her. She will be a family pet, no need for her to participate in something she isn't cut out for.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
0pusX is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 04:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

When you submitted this thread you knew that nobody would support you right? If you love your dog you don't give her up.
julie87 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

I am going to play the devil's advocate here and look at this from a different perspective. Plenty of folks who compete dogs and horses, (I am both familiar with both) rehome their animals when they no longer fit their competitive goals. I myself have sold (rehomed sounds nicer) several horses as they were not working out. I always made sure they got a good home. And we still go visit. I know of many border collie people who trial...if a dog is not into sheep, they may rehome it to an agility home and so-on. Sometimes dogs dont work out for whatever reason.

If you are a conscientious owner, and the dog can find a new home with someone who loves her for what she is..then why not?

Personally, I dont think I would ever rehome a dog just for competetive reasons, because one, I have room for more..(lol) and two, I get too attachted.

Just some food for thought..situations always warrent thinking from both sides.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

I agree with Angel.

Didn't you just get another female Heidi in December?? Why not keep Mina and do something "else" with her, like obed/rally/tracking?

While I also agree all dogs deserve a good home and if they don't pan out they are often times better off in a different home... I also agree I could never rehome a dog that was especially my "heart" dog because they weren't cut out to do what I never intended them to do in the first place. Especially to get another dog

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

oh wow!
Loneforce is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Onyx wasn't cut out for it either. I wouldn't part with Onyx because she washed out.
Horses are a bit different compared to dogs...way more expensive to feed and keep!
So I can understand rehoming a horse...but dogs are usually a companion first, and the sport is done because we enjoy the dogs company and want to do things for the bonding time.
What if your dog was injured, would you rehome because it could no longer be active? I know a few people right now that have had to quit training due to physical issues with their dogs.

To each his own, I am not one that tends to go through dogs.
I know a few people that have changed up their packs a few times in the past couple years. I really don't understand it....but whatever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.