Rough training week and starting to think the unthinkable - Page 9 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #81 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've had plenty of people tell me that Aiden is a crappy Schutzhund dog and to get rid of him....and I tell them to suck it. He is my dog and I will keep doing Schutzhund with him because that's what I want to do. I know that people have talked about my dog and I behind our backs and laughed at our struggles, but I really don't care. Like you, I'm new to this sport. It was discouraging at first when I realized what it takes to compete and compared it to what I have with Aiden, but I also realized that I love the sport and my dog so much that if I could get any title on him, it would mean more to me than any super high level national title in the world with another dog.

So instead of washing him out, I kept training. Changed a lot of things. Changed clubs. Made it work and got an IPO1 on him. Kept going and failed the IPO2 twice (dismissed from PR each time). I got down on myself and my dog after failing and thought of retiring him. I gave him a few weeks off and we came back today for training and he did super. His obedience is nice and his tracking is gorgeous. His protection does need and will always need lots and lots of work. That's just who he is. We have good training days and bad training days. I know its hard but its worth it to persevere. I'm going to get some tracking and obedience titles on him, and see if the protection clears up and falls into place in the meantime. But I can't just wash him out completely. His other strong points will make me proud to title him in those aspects.

I guess what I'm just trying to say is that you should give your decision some time. Maybe you'll decide, like I have, to work with what you've got. Work with her on her strong points and don't put so much emphasis on the protection for now. If she was better at Schutzhund, then I would go back to Schutzhund. Give her a chance to work it out and re-evaluate her in some time. She may surprise you. And by that point, maybe you'll be in a position to add another working dog to your home without having to re-home your current dog.

Just a thought...
GatorDog is online now   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #82 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
When a heart dog is missing or under the knife you are physically ill, I can't explain it. When you have a heart dog, you are looking for outlets where she shines and thrives, you are not looking for her to make you shine or thrive.
This is so true. Mine qualified for schutzhund, much to their surprise. While I was there waiting for her to be evaluated, I went inside to check out agility. They(GSD Club) told me she has it now, but who knows what will happen a year for now. So my thought process was not to set the dog up to fail(because I really don't know where she came from), but to do something with her that she was truly good at. I wanted her to have fun and agility is where she shines. And oh boy was I sick when she was sick...I didn't care how much it cost or what was wrong, I just wanted her to be better. I would go insane if she ever went missing. So you don't have to explain it, people can understand it...I know I do.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #83 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
This is so true. Mine qualified for schutzhund, much to their surprise. While I was there waiting for her to be evaluated, I went inside to check out agility. They(GSD Club) told me she has it now, but who knows what will happen a year for now. So my thought process was not to set the dog up to fail(because I really don't know where she came from), but to do something with her that she was truly good at. I wanted her to have fun and agility is where she shines. And oh boy was I sick when she was sick...I didn't care how much it cost or what was wrong, I just wanted her to be better. I would go insane if she ever went missing. So you don't have to explain it, people can understand it...I know I do.
That's because you have a heart-dog.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #84 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Sorry for the late response. I was out training at the club as I do about 30 hours a week. Since I'm such a horrible person and all.

Yes, I got Mina from a byb but she was never inteded to be a "pet". I always wanted her to do something. I tried many different things with her and it appeared that schutzhund was going to be a good fit. Now as she is maturing it's looking like this might not be the case. I didn't even know what a byb was when I got her. I new a GSD was a working dog and it should work. I didn't think about all the poorly bred ones. So yes maybe I didn't do all the research I should have. I also didn't know I would get as involved in the sports as I have. I had no way of predicting the future.

Yes after bringing Heidi into the house and seeing what a well bred GSD is suppose to be is a slap in the face. Many of you are making it seem like it's my fault dogs are in shelters. I had nothing to do with those dogs in the shelters.

It's not really about the titles as much as it is the training. I have thousands of hours and dollars into training and lately feel like we are just going backwards. At some point it's time to cutt your loss. It's a harsh reality.

For the ones that say they would never do this. I said the same thing all the way up until the thought crossed my mind. This forum has just become part of my thinkning process. I am not making any quick decisions. Maybe this forum wasn't the best idea but it's all out now. I truly have been losing sleep trying to decide what is best for everyone. Thanks for the replies, sorry if I ruined anyones day.
mycobraracr is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #85 (permalink)

I have had quite a few washouts and retirees. They are currently lounging around the house.
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #86 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagsd View Post
I have had quite a few washouts and retirees. They are currently lounging around the house.
This would be the ideal situation but just not possible for me. At least not right now.
mycobraracr is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #87 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The best thing you can learn is next time don't come to an Internet board with this type of issue. You have to do what is in the best interest of you and your dog. If you are that vested in the sport, you could keep the dog and be a good guy, maybe get a second dog that likes this a lot, and this dog becomes relegated to second class citizen in their own house....as opposed to being somewhere where the dog could be King or Queen. Or you could deny yourself the second dog or give up the sport that you love and she is queen or king heart with an owner that is resentful. My point is, there are many endings for this story that can end happily or unhappily, and it is critical that you seek a remedy that meets both of your needs. Most opinions that can't or won't understand ALL aspects of this situation, may be well intentioned, but reality is this is a private situation that someone not walking in your moccasins can only speak for THEIR situation and not yours. You have a responsibility to do what is best for you and your dog....there is no one answer to this as some would lead you to believe.....for them maybe....but each life situation varies and good solutions abound. I wish the best for you and your dog, and if you make responsible decisions, I assure you both of you will do well!

Last edited by cliffson1; 01-06-2013 at 09:00 PM.
cliffson1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #88 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Most opinions that can't or won't understand ALL aspects of this situation,
Hm.
How aren't people understanding?
It's been said in other places on this forum that dogs are equipment to "working homes", I think we understand that just fine
I guess we just all place different values on our pets. That much is easy to understand.
msvette2u is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #89 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
Yes after bringing Heidi into the house and seeing what a well bred GSD is suppose to be is a slap in the face. Many of you are making it seem like it's my fault dogs are in shelters. I had nothing to do with those dogs in the shelters.
Yes, it appears your dog will not go to the shelter. But, the mindset you have about your dog is the same one that lands lots of dogs in shelters.

For one reason or another, a dog is determined not to be a good fit or not to meet the owner's immediate needs… so it goes. Some people look to responsibly re-home, many others don’t. The mindset is the same.

Personally, it sounds like the “Sport World” is not about the welfare of dogs, it is about the vanity of the owners. Not only does that land dogs out of their homes, it also probably leads to extremes in breeding practices that are not good for the breed as whole.

Last edited by LifeofRiley; 01-06-2013 at 09:09 PM.
LifeofRiley is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #90 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There are dogs in shelters because people get tired of them, feel they are too much work, or that they are not what they thought they would be. Sometimes people grow out of their dogs. They get puppies and it is way cool, and then they wake up one day and the puppy is no longer as cool as they thought it was and they are on to the next thing that is way cool; a horse, a motorcycle, a dog of a different breed, a new puppy, or a dog that better suits their newest phase.

Not everyone has a sister that will take the dog. Not everyone cares what will happen to the pup now that it's cute puppy stage is over. Once they decide to get rid of the dog, they no longer care what happens to it. Maybe they ask if the shelter is no-kill, but really, once they decide, they just divorce themselves. No one is suggesting that is what you are intending to do with your dog.

I think that it is your description of her as your heart-dog and then talking about getting rid of her after a week of training that did not go the way you wanted it to.

I am a little disturbed that you see a well-bred dog, and you are ready to give away your dog so you can get one like that. Well bred or not, a dog is still a personality, and if you can live with a dog for a year and then see another dog in action and consider clearing the floor to open space for one like that, well, IDK, I guess you really wouldn't have posted this thread if you thought nothing of it.

I think if this thread started with, "My sister really loves Mina, she wants a dog, and since we have gotten Heidi, I am starting to see what the other people have been telling me about her not being cut out for the sport. So I am really considering letting my sister have this dog, because I know that she will be just perfect for her. And then I will be looking for a dog like Heidi who will be able to work to the level that I want to be at." -- I think this thread would have gone a little different.

We are a site of dog lovers here, the other stuff, sport, showing, etc, is really secondary.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.