Rough training week and starting to think the unthinkable - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #51 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
I was wondering who Rorie was when you mentioned her in my thread about dogs you would like to have a pup from.
LOL...yep there's all those famous dogs but then there's mine and she's just Rorie and after her there won't be anymore GSDs for me
holland is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #52 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

This makes no sense. You get a BYB dog and it can't do SDA (so someone says). Was that surprising to you? One club's opinion and you're going to throw in the towel on the entire dog? I'm beyond blown. I've found over the years that we're becoming a self-centered and throw away culture... means to an end and no more than that. However, I didn't expect to see this here. Not unless it's a newbie. Even then... Just wow. I got a dog with the purpose of getting titles. If he doesn't? So what? I'm not going to be the best handler, either. I'm sure if he could fire me half way through he probably would. If he's a wash? Who cares? He's still my boy. He *is* my heart dog. I think you used the wrong phrase here. That's the confusion. See, if someone was beating my dog, I'd step in and protect him. If someone pointed a gun at him, I'd not let that bullet hit him. I'd do anything for him. I've got a REALLY bad back, but I carried his rear end down the deck stairs many times a day for a long time because I was afraid he'd fall and hurt himself because the stairs were steep... and I didn't know if he could see. That is what I think of when someone says 'heart dog'. That's why I'm sitting here with my head reeling. I agree with re-homing him. Hopefully your dog will have better luck. IMO, the dog's biggest 'loss' wasn't HIS failure at SDA. SMH Just an FYI, some breeders watch for people who do this, and they won't sell you a pup.

Last edited by Jag; 01-06-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Jag is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #53 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holland View Post
Rorie is perfectly capable of getting a title...but I am not...she hasn't re-homed me...yet
I'm surprised Karlo hasn't done the same to me!

Really, I don't think it is anyone's business to judge. As long as the dog is placed in a loving home where she'll be happy, why does it matter whether or not someone rehome's a dog because it isn't a good fit. I couldn't do it, but understand why it happens.
If the dog is better off in a place where she can be individualized and happy vs crated and left at home while the other dogs get to go to training, that is not a bad thing!
I feel bad that I leave Kacie and Onyx when Karlo gets to go to training, but they don't know any different and are happy dogs. If I did bring them along, they'd be stressed out.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBTLove View Post
But I won't speak against someone like this, when it's laughable that people will get themselves in a tizzy over it with the overwhelming amount of real animal abuse, cruelty, and neglect all over the world, in our neighbors' home, the dogs dying in shelters. One person who has loved and cared well for their dog is considering finding a better fitting home for the dog, and getting a dog who fits their lifestyle better. My cup of tea? No, but it's not really that drastic or horrific. And it doesn't make to OP a bad person in my eyes, or a bad owner.

I'm going to jump on board with this. People keep tossing out the word "commitment". There are ways of being committed to a dog without having the dog live in your very home for life. When I get a dog, even when I allow the rescue to place a foster dog in my home, I am making a lifelong commitment to that dog, but for me that "commitment" doesn't mean the dog has to be MINE living in my house forever but that it *always* has someone who will step in a help if that's what it comes to. Even though my rescue doesn't take dogs back after 6 months or so, I would step in and help if one of our adopters contacted me. But I don't think I'm expected to actually KEEP every one of these dogs. People might be surprised how not difficult it is to find a really good home for a decent dog, a nice pet dog that doesn't have any major health or behavioral issues. I've rehomed dogs and had dogs rehomed to me. The circumstances are really no one's business but mine and the other people involved. It sounds like the OP already has a good home lined up. He might have done better to just not even start a thread like this but the can of worms has been opened. Of all the true abuse, cruelty, and neglect I have seen done to animals I can't sit here and condemn this person for thinking this through, being honest with himself, and making sure the dog would go to a great home best suited for her temperament. It's not my job to decide under which circumstances it is OK or not OK to adopt, place, sell, or rehome a dog. As long as the best interests of the DOG are taken into consideration, that's good enough for me.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #55 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBTLove View Post
But I won't speak against someone like this, when it's laughable that people will get themselves in a tizzy over it with the overwhelming amount of real animal abuse, cruelty, and neglect all over the world, in our neighbors' home, the dogs dying in shelters.
So is everyone supposed to say the same thing? "Go for it" (as in rehoming)?

Of course there's going to be mixed opinions, since most of us, having our dogs as PETS first and if they did well at something, did that, too.

This person got a pet. Took it to a venue where it may or may not be failing. And now wants to rehome it because it's said to be failing.

Point is - it was a pet first, and now that's not good enough, now it's expected to do something it cannot do.

It is slightly different than a person purchasing a working dog for the purpose of working.

I think everyone here needs to keep in mind that any dog may, in fact, fail at it's intended venue (if working or showing, etc.) and be prepared to keep as a pet if that's all the dog turns out to be.

Or have a real good contingency plan (dog goes back to breeder, dog is given to a family member, etc.).

But a pet...purchased as a pet... should be kept as a pet if that's all it turns out to be, after all.
msvette2u is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #56 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneforce View Post
I think something like this should have just been kept personal. You are going to do what you have to do anyways.
These are true words of wisdom.
There's people doing this all over, without announcing it to the world.
Any time you post something so controversial on a message board, expect there to be controversy
Old 01-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post

Or have a real good contingency plan (dog goes back to breeder, dog is given to a family member, etc.).

But a pet...purchased as a pet... should be kept as a pet if that's all it turns out to be, after all.

Is that not what is happening? I thought he said his sister would take her if he decides to go that route. The dog can still be part of the family and be a pet. Yes if she was purchased as a pet she should live as a pet.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #58 (permalink)
Banned

So they can get another dog?
And what if that dog, too, washes out?
And the next...etc...?
Old 01-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #59 (permalink)
Crowned Member

As long as they responsibly place the dogs what does it matter? Many times people buy pups, train them to a degree, resell them for profit, they aren't judged.
I guess I'd rather see a dog that has some good foundation training placed than one that has run wild its whole puppyhood and then placed after the cute puppy stage has worn off.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth_00117 View Post
Not in my eyes.

Commitment...... people don't know what this means anymore.

No more commenting on this for me..... as said, the OP will do as he pleases.

I am going to go train and play with my washed out dog and then do some training with my brat working girl.
Exactly. So sad we have become a throw away society. Something doesn't work, get rid of it. Same reason the divorce rate is close to 50 percent..
m1953 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.