Rough training week and starting to think the unthinkable - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #41 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth_00117 View Post
Not in my eyes.

Commitment...... people don't know what this means anymore.

No more commenting on this for me..... as said, the OP will do as he pleases.

I am going to go train and play with my washed out dog and then do some training with my brat working girl.
I'm with you...no need to get myself upset I've been out several times with mine today...a few more times won't hurt
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC
Brennan- Golden Retriever

"A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you
more than he loves himself."
llombardo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #42 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Rorie is perfectly capable of getting a title...but I am not...she hasn't re-homed me...yet
holland is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #43 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Your girlfriend did, however, bring in a young adult for work. Would you be doing the same? A puppy bred for this with the right drives still has a risk of not working out. What is the strategy there?

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #44 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Would I personally rehome a dog because it didn't live up to my ideas for it? No. I could never do that.

But I won't speak against someone like this, when it's laughable that people will get themselves in a tizzy over it with the overwhelming amount of real animal abuse, cruelty, and neglect all over the world, in our neighbors' home, the dogs dying in shelters. One person who has loved and cared well for their dog is considering finding a better fitting home for the dog, and getting a dog who fits their lifestyle better. My cup of tea? No, but it's not really that drastic or horrific. And it doesn't make to OP a bad person in my eyes, or a bad owner.

Sparkles, Lilith, Eve, Candy, Dahlia, Juno, Tonks.

Jaeger, Ben, Goose, Dirk, LingLing, Bentley, Elliot, Batman.
APBTLove is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBTLove View Post
Would you consider it wrong for a hunter to rehome a hound who didn't enjoy the hunt and give him to a home where he can be happy?
If the OP was saying that this pup was about to get a one-way walk into the woods, that's different.
Where I am most people dump them off some where when they don't make the cut. Its sad.

I think a lot of the peoples problem is that the OP says this is his/her heart dog and that they really love her.
Ratness is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #46 (permalink)

My girl did ok in protection work, but she just didn't enjoy being around the other dogs and obedience phase was difficult. The energy she had at home disappeared at the field. So, now she's just my pet and I find things she enjoys. I love her too much to rehome so I can do Schutzhund. However, everyone is different and I'm sure there are serious Schutzhund people here who have rehomed and would rehome if that's what they intended to do when they got their dog. But, if I got one as a pet and stumbled into training and it didn't work, the pet comes first. Good luck whatever you decide to do.
Daisy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #47 (permalink)

This goes on all the time There are certainly good reasons for rehoming animals and I don't have a problem with that at all. I guess what bugs me is when one has had a dog since puppyhood , and then it doesn't do what it probably wasn't intended to do, very well, replace it.

Saying this dog was your heart dog bothers me the most. I guess I just come from a different way of ownership when it comes to especially, my heart dogs.

I got Masi to do agility, she is not into it at all, and I was a diehard agility person, disappointed? a little, but we do other things, tracking she 'lives' for..Am I going to ever unload her? Not while there is breath in my body. She is one of my "heart" dogs and love her to death.

Unfortunately we live in a very disposable world and pets can be like paper plates.

I would like to end by saying, it is your decision obviously and I am not going to condemn someone for what they do, their dog, their business, and she'd probably be better off in a home where she can thrive, but it does make me sad when I hear of situations like this..

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
This goes on all the time There are certainly good reasons for rehoming animals and I don't have a problem with that at all. I guess what bugs me is when one has had a dog since puppyhood , and then it doesn't do what it probably wasn't intended to do, very well, replace it.

Saying this dog was your heart dog bothers me the most. I guess I just come from a different way of ownership when it comes to especially, my heart dogs.

I got Masi to do agility, she is not into it at all, and I was a diehard agility person, disappointed? a little, but we do other things, tracking she 'lives' for..Am I going to ever unload her? Not while there is breath in my body. She is one of my "heart" dogs and love her to death.

Unfortunately we live in a very disposable world and pets can be like paper plates.

I would like to end by saying, it is your decision obviously and I am not going to condemn someone for what they do, their dog, their business, and she'd probably be better off in a home where she can thrive, but it does make me sad when I hear of situations like this..
Completely agree with this. Personally, I wouldn't rehome but if you need to go to an online forum to work out whether or not you should rehome your "heart dog" then the seed is pretty much planted in your head already. We can all yell out "No!! Don't do this!" but really, if you're even concidering getting rid of this dog for such selfish reasons then in your heart of hearts you've already made your decision. So, I say yes, give the dog to your sister because clearly you're not committed and this dog deserves someone who is.
jennyp is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #49 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holland View Post
Rorie is perfectly capable of getting a title...but I am not...she hasn't re-homed me...yet
I was wondering who Rorie was when you mentioned her in my thread about dogs you would like to have a pup from.
robk is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #50 (permalink)

Had to come back to ask - Why does this dog NEED titles? If you're not in a breeding program then honestly why is it so important? Can't you just continue to do the work for fun? Because if you're not planning to breed the dog then the title is really for you. I'm not trying to be snarky here so I'm sorry if its coming off that way but for me, I got Brody from a great lineage and I'm sure he could compete and go far, maybe even to a Sch3 but we train just for the enjoyment of it and for me, the experience is just as fulfilling.
jennyp is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.