Rough training week and starting to think the unthinkable - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #21 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Woah woah woah. Back up here. While I agree with most of the posts, I see people discussing how working homes, or breeders, or show homes and breeders, drop dogs all the time for a better dog to do what they want, and it's not bashed. That's what this person is doing, the dog isn't making the cut, they want one who will because they want to get into the sport with the right one.

If this person can't handle two dogs, the working dog they want and this girl as a housedog/pet, and they want to find a home where the dog will be happy and won't be asked more than she is capable of, and then acquire the right dog for them, that is up to them.

I doubt the dog is going to get dropped on the first craigstlister to say "Yo gimme dat dog". I don't think the OP is stupid, and I think they will do the very best for the dog - rehoming to someone who can give her the life she would be happier and more fitting for. And I'm sure anyone she'd consider, just going off of her obvious love for the dog, would have to really have proven themselves worthy of the dog. Maybe she can get a home doing a sport she'd fully enjoy and immerse herself in.

What different is there from the dogs' point of view from this dog, or a long-term foster dog? They both get super attached to their owner, they both get new owners, they both get attached to those new owners and live their life out. Different reasons behind the rehoming, but all I care about it the effect on the dog. If this was a dog they'd had for ten years and are going "Y'know.. she's too old to really compete anymore, and I Want a new dog." I think that's really unfair to the dog, to cause upset near the end of her life because she isn't good enough.

Would you consider it wrong for a hunter to rehome a hound who didn't enjoy the hunt and give him to a home where he can be happy?
If the OP was saying that this pup was about to get a one-way walk into the woods, that's different.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sparkles, Lilith, Eve, Candy, Dahlia, Juno, Tonks.

Jaeger, Ben, Goose, Dirk, LingLing, Bentley, Elliot, Batman.

Last edited by APBTLove; 01-06-2013 at 10:31 AM.
APBTLove is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #22 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
I agree with Angel.

Didn't you just get another female Heidi in December?? Why not keep Mina and do something "else" with her, like obed/rally/tracking?

While I also agree all dogs deserve a good home and if they don't pan out they are often times better off in a different home... I also agree I could never rehome a dog that was especially my "heart" dog because they weren't cut out to do what I never intended them to do in the first place. Especially to get another dog
Raise a dog to think it can take on the world and...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JeanKBBMMMAAN is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #23 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Maybe I have been at this too long and have become cynical, but just make sure the new club doesn't want to wash out your dog or is seeing issues because they have one of their own to sell you. Or maybe they just aren't that good at what they are doing or need a specific type of dog.

You say your dog was doing OK in IPO. What is so bad with her that she can't do SDA?

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #24 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBTLove View Post

What different is there from the dogs' point of view from this dog, or a long-term foster dog? They both get super attached to their owner, they both get new owners
I don't know about you but everyone I know that fosters, when they find a heart dog it becomes a foster failure. The other long term fosters I know take the seniors and they keep them until they pass. Otherwise the foster are in and out fairly quickly learning house manners, learning leash training, learning to live in a family and then they get to go to a family of their own. Unless I'm completely misunderstanding the way fosters work?
shepherdmom is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #25 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post
Quite an interesting post and thank you for finding it and posting it here...so does the old dog go, so the new dog can stay?Makes me sick to think that this might be the case
Old 01-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #26 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I got a puppy who was NOT purchased with competition in mind.

I also "fell" into the sport world and tried to work with Stark with several clubs in my area. I was told over and over that he was not a dog suitable for sport BUT that they would still work with him. They gave me no guarantees other than the fact that I will learn A LOT on this dog and that I should keep an open mind.

I did.

I still continue to train Stark, but it is a modified version that a IPO or SDA or PPD dog would train. We have modified his training in such a way that he now at least ENJOYS working!

Is he ever going to compete? Who knows, but at this point I can't see it.

He went through a TERRIBLE reactive phase (you can read all the stories here) and I never once considered giving this dog away.

You make a commitment, you stick to it.

I brought home another dog (Zefra) last year who is MADE for the sport world (doesn't matter what venue she just does well) and am SO lucky to have her in my life. She is a fun dog to work, to live with, etc.. and I plan to bring in another in the next year or two for the same purpose - to compete with.

BUT.. my dogs are first and foremost my companions. If anything happened to any of them that made competing not able to happen, they would happily live their life on my couch as my hiking or biking buddies or just a couch potato. Whatever made them happy.

That is just my $0.02.

elisabeth_00117 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #27 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter everyone. I'm goin to try and address some of the questions that came up.

1) Heidi is being handled by my girlfriend at this point. Heidi is doing great at this sport as she was bred for sport.

2) Keeping Mina as a "pet" isn't an option. We just don't have the room or time for that.

3) Changing sports isn't an option for me. I love the sports and I'm also a helper/decoy and love the work as well as have tons of money invested in equipment.

4) If I was to rehome Mina (remember I'm just at the thinking about it stage) she would have to go to the perfect home. My Sister would take her in a heart beat! So more than likely she wouldn't leave my immediate family.

5) The question about rehoming her if she was injured I don't know that I could answer without being in that situation. Too many variables.

For the ones that asked if I would get rid of a child because it was falling behind in school, that's just a silly question. My dog is not a human child. So maybe the problem is the mindset of people.
mycobraracr is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #28 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
Quite an interesting post and thank you for finding it and posting it here...so does the old dog go, so the new dog can stay?Makes me sick to think that this might be the case
This actually has nothing to do with it. The two girls are always seperated. They have learned to tolerate eachother in passing but we don't want to test the waters. It's not that difficult. Two dogs each with a different handler. So I don't really interact with Heidi anymore and my GF doesnt interact with Mina too much. Keeps them focused on their person. Thanks for the concern everyone.
mycobraracr is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #29 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Usually I don't respond to threads like this or get too "involved" because I believe everyone has their own right to do as they please... but I am seeing your situation far too much these days... I just can't believe how many people are rehoming dogs because of things like this... to me, you make a commitment you stick with it.

You have "invested" probably just as much, if not more money and time into your dog - not just the sport. Can you not just work your other dog for now, keep your Mina as a pet and then WAIT. People are just in too much of a hurry. Why not learn with Mina to do something else that will help your dog training skills?

You could still work the other dog, enjoy the sport, etc..

I don't know, maybe my "mindset" is the PROBLEM?!

I see dogs for dogs. I am may call them "my babies and such" but when it comes down to it, they are animals.... I get that part. I love my dogs, etc.. but again, I see them for what they are... but I also see making a commitment as that. You stick it out until the end.

I guess I am one of those "people".

elisabeth_00117 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #30 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My two cents:
OP will know what is best for him, the dog and everyone involved. And will do what he feels is best. Everyone jumping all over him will not change that.
So long as Mina is happy, I do not really see a problem with OP giving her to his sister and getting a pup more suited to the sport he loves. Maybe a male this time, to avoid having to totally seperate the dogs. Changing sports to suit the dog would be ideal, but we all know that once you fall in love with something it's difficult to bow out.

OP- I think you really just need to think about this carefully. Make sure, like another poster said, that the people in this club aren't just trying to sell you a dog by washing Mina out. Then think very diligently about what is best for you, your gf, Mina and Heidi. Then make your choice. And let us know what you decide. (:
Personally I would not rehome my girl, even though there are no true sports I can participate in with her (and she definitely can't do conformation showing like I want to do). I view her as my child. But, to each their own.

Maybe I'm just not into the confrontation going on in this thread xD

Last edited by GsdLoverr729; 01-06-2013 at 11:46 AM.
GsdLoverr729 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.