Rough training week and starting to think the unthinkable - Page 22 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 10:28 PM   #211 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If it is better for you, for the other owner, and the dog, than it really shouldn't be a question.

I agree that hoarding every dog you come across is not a good thing. I think the reason some of us will not rehome one of our dogs is because we cannot be certain about where the dog is going to. 12 week old puppies are pretty much in demand, and we can often pick and choose good homes. 15 month old pups are often around in abundance, generally because people do not bother to train them and they are getting out of hand, and the little puppy cuteness has worn off. But you seem to have that covered.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is online now   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 10:35 PM   #212 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
Again I feel I must clear things up.

You drove 16 hours to get a dog that you were completely thrilled about getting and you never thought that 2 females wouldn't get along? I just got done watching a video of your girl Mina..she has a personality and she is a pretty girl, her new home will hopefully be everything that she needs. No need to clear anything up...I can just go back and read the other threads. Good Luck in whatever decision you make.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 10:36 PM   #213 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
2) Maybe I haven't found my heart dog. All I know is that I have NEVER had a dog like Mina! I have loved every dog I have had, but not like her. I have never had this type of bond with a dog. It's probably due to the fact that we have trained 30 plus hours a week since the day I got her and been doing protection sports since she was 12 weeks. You can learn a lot about a dog in that amount of time.

If you can give her up, she can not be your heart dog. I just hope you are not her heart person.

5) This is the most important! Stop judging me and each other. I'm sorry I started this thread. I don't want to see people get banned or lose a friendship online or not over somthing like this. I was just trying to get it out of my head. While many of you where judging me I was actually out working my dog. Not online talking about it.
My dogs are laying on my lap while I type. They don't work, they don't care what we do as long as I am happy. And I do what I can to make sure they are happy. It is a two way street.

Heck yes I am judging... if you don't like it then don't post about it. I have a 7 year old sweetheart who was someones darling once until she wasn't. She didn't understand. She was scared and grieving for her family. Every day is a milestone and she is finally relaxing and learning to trust again. but don't ever think it was easy for her to learn to love and trust a new family.
shepherdmom is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 11:06 PM   #214 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
My dogs are laying on my lap while I type. They don't work, they don't care what we do as long as I am happy. And I do what I can to make sure they are happy. It is a two way street.

Heck yes I am judging... if you don't like it then don't post about it. I have a 7 year old sweetheart who was someones darling once until she wasn't. She didn't understand. She was scared and grieving for her family. Every day is a milestone and she is finally relaxing and learning to trust again. but don't ever think it was easy for her to learn to love and trust a new family.
Haha you're killing me judgey judgerson. You're basing your responses off your experience, not my situation. Good luck with your dog. I'm glad she has found a home that loves her.

Again to the post about the girls not getting along. I did think they wouldn't get along. I know Heidi much better than that. Mina has gotten along with everything until Heidi so... I hoped they would get along but the fact they don't doesn't really matter. That being said they can work right next to each other and not care. Heck, they did downstays in the living room touching each other without a problem. Why? Because they focus on their handlers and are very obedient. How many times to I have to say that Heidi has nothing to do with this. You people that keep bringing Heidi up don't have much experience with working dogs do you? They rarely ever interact with other dogs.
mycobraracr is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 11:15 PM   #215 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think it was something you said, about seeing a well-bred pup and how it works, and now the other dog I suppose pales in its wake. That is why Heidi is being brought up. The female-female thing might be being brought up about your situation -- you did kind of mention it, or about Mrs. K's situation, where she has had some issues between bitches.

Some people have working dogs that are kenneled when not being worked, and other people have them lounging around the house being mauled by the babies and children. I don't know if it is one size fits all, even amongst working line people.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 11:27 PM   #216 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Haha you're killing me judgey judgerson. You're basing your responses off your experience, not my situation. Good luck with your dog. I'm glad she has found a home that loves her.
I'm an emotional female who lost her ♥ dog November 17, 2011. So yes I'm being all judgy. I can't help it. I also am sort of getting involved in rescue so I see tons of sad doggies every single day on my facebook page. I wish I could save them all.

Good luck with your new dog.
shepherdmom is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 11:30 PM   #217 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
I think it was something you said, about seeing a well-bred pup and how it works, and now the other dog I suppose pales in its wake. That is why Heidi is being brought up. The female-female thing might be being brought up about your situation -- you did kind of mention it, or about Mrs. K's situation, where she has had some issues between bitches.

Some people have working dogs that are kenneled when not being worked, and other people have them lounging around the house being mauled by the babies and children. I don't know if it is one size fits all, even amongst working line people.
You are right, I did say in another thread that Mina and Heidi didn't get along. That's what somebody brought up. I did say stuff about Heidi being well bred and blah blah blah. That was in response to people bringing Heidi up every two seconds. She has NOTHING to do with this. I just had to say it one more time.

I know working dogs on both ends of the spectrum. The difference is that usually there is only one in a house. Like my other thread, when you raise them to think they can take on anything they believe it. Put two or more together and the chances of them getting along are slim. I was told this by a working dog trainer, "If you play with your dog 80%of the time and work 20% of the time, then when you take it out to work what is it going to want to do? Work or play? Most likely play. If you make the work play then that's all the dog knows."
Old 01-07-2013, 11:33 PM   #218 (permalink)

Quote:
... You people that keep bringing Heidi up don't have much experience with working dogs do you? They rarely ever interact with other dogs.
Well, I don't think that is true. Assuming working dog=schutzhund dog, many, many of them live together and are treated as pets in the household. Now, I do have brothers who hate each other, and they live "separate lives," but the rest run, play and eat together.
I am not judging your decision. Only you know what is best for your family. But I don't want people thinking sport dogs regularly get placed because they don't work out (we all know some do), or that sport dogs cannot live completely normal house dog lives.
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 11:33 PM   #219 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
I'm an emotional female who lost her ♥ dog November 17, 2011. So yes I'm being all judgy. I can't help it. I also am sort of getting involved in rescue so I see tons of sad doggies every single day on my facebook page. I wish I could save them all.

Good luck with your new dog.
I'm sorry for your loss. I understand when you see nothing but bad it's hard not to "judge" it. Understanding where you're coming from makes me take your post differently. It's all about understanding.

I never said I WAS getting a new dog or re-homing Mina. It was just something on my mind that I'm trying to work through. This was just an outlet for me. after all this, a bad choice of outlet but what is done is done.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:33 PM   #220 (permalink)
x11
Banned

"...If you make the work play then that's all the dog knows..."

excuse me sir but how can recreational dog sport be considered anything but play, i find that attitude disturbing.
x11 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.