Rough training week and starting to think the unthinkable - Page 20 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #191 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to zivagirl

Well, if nothing else, I'm learning what I can and can't post....and that everyone has an opinion and most believe that theirs is the correct one.

I'm not out to convert anyone to my way of thinking or to be converted. I'm simply looking to inform myself and explore why I believe the way I believe and why others believe the way they believe.

'When you know better, you do better' - Maya Angelou
zivagirl is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #192 (permalink)

ziva your right

I guess I don't 'get' how people with a couple or more dogs do find time to work them all..I have worked 3 at one time, granted it wasn't schutzhund, but I found the time, classes, 3 nights a week, and the 4th wasn't ignored AND I worked So it can be done...but to each his own I figure.

I also am not trying to convert anyone nor wish to be converted, it is what it is and in the end it does not affect "me" personally it just seems to be a hot button.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #193 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
There are "experts" and "trainers" at every club...be careful whose advice you take.
This is the voice of reason
Especially because a lot of experienced folks are saying the same thing...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
I guess I don't 'get' how people with a couple or more dogs do find time to work them all..I have worked 3 at one time, granted it wasn't schutzhund, but I found the time, classes, 3 nights a week, and the 4th wasn't ignored AND I worked So it can be done...but to each his own I figure.

And Ziva, you're right. I sometimes want to post on here about things that are bothering me, or that have come up, but since the forum is judge, jury and executioner (of which I sometimes find myself a part of as well) I tend to not ask for advice as much as, well, give it

Last edited by msvette2u; 01-07-2013 at 04:02 PM.
msvette2u is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #194 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
One thing that people seem to do is bemoan the fact their dog doesn't get "enough time", top-of-the-line diet, a huge plush bed, sleep on the bed, a spot on the floor all to them, etc. etc. etc.

What folks forget is, dogs are happy in the moment, they live in the moment.
A walk, a cuddle, a healthy meal, a blanket on the floor, it's good enough - because dogs don't miss what they don't have.

People think "if I only had a bigger house...", "if I only had the newest car..." etc.

Dogs never do that!
Dogs are happy with what they have and that's probably what attracts us to them.
"Treated like a princess"? What does that mean?? Does that mean that 1x a week to the groomer, a fancier collar than you can find at Walmart, a sweater or jacket, what?
Do you think dogs care about that stuff? Not really.

Laying by our woodstove, cuddled on a blankie, a bowl of Kirkland (which they go nuts over) and they are happy.

Marshies, I think you compare yourself to other dog owners too much
See, if what you have said in this post is true then why the uproar about the dog going to live with the sister??
If his sister is to provide this dog with all of the things he does and maybe more, then why is this such an issue??
If dogs live in the moment why is the dog going to be unhappy in a new home providing all the things you have mentioned??
My answer to this question is that this thread in all of its 20 plus pages is not about THIS individual dog and owner, it is about all the dogs that get dumped in shelters each day because of WHAT APPEARS TO BE similar reasons.
Just another thread where the OP is to be judged because of the wrongs of the the majority instead of it being looked at in a case by case way.
If the dog is to be cared for and happy, the owner is satisfied he has done everything to ensure the new owner is a fit......I just don't see the issue in this particular case.
sparra is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #195 (permalink)
Elite Member

When I purchased my current girl my intention was for her to be a deterrent and a protector. I also was considering sport but not too seriously. The dog turned out to be fear reactive, working with her daily to see if she can ever get on the sleeve. I turned out to really enjoy Schutzhund.
Its possible she is still young and may be able to get over the hump. Then again genetics are a huge mountain to climb so she may never get to that point. If she doesnt then I may consider rehoming as an option. For me a dog provides utility as well as companionship. While a reactive dog can be worked with, managed, trained and make a decent pet for the right person it will likely not make any kind of protector for family and home not to mention sport work.
If thats what you want in a dog and she cant give it you then you make a tough choice. Regardless of what the peanut gallery on the forums are trying to imply, you can't own a dog for years and put training, money and time into it without having an emotional attachment.
Many people on here are just pet people, good for you I say but your sometimes judgemental attitude can be rather grating at times.
The only reason we ever domesticated dogs was for utility, companionship was a bonus. The only reason you can even own GSDs or any other breed for that matter was that people bought, sold, traded and culled dogs and pups in their breeding program and still do.
You just want a pet and to love your dog good for you, but there are still many people in the dog world (thank god) that value working ability and require that their dog have it. Many of those people are still drawn to German Shepherds because they where designed to be WORKING DOGS.

Look at it this way whoever ultimately gets this dog it will be one highly trained pet.

Last edited by Blitzkrieg1; 01-07-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Blitzkrieg1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #196 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It is all just semantics. There is a big difference between a heart dog, and a dog you love. Unless you have had that special relationship, you cannot possibly understand the difference and why some of us are freaking out over the idea of rehoming a heart dog because you grew out of her. A heart dog is a two way street, and the one that initiates and draws the heavier load is the dog. The dog connects with the owner, chooses the owner, understands the owner, loves the owner with a raw, deep canine loyalty/love/understanding/bond, that makes rehoming this dog a crime.

These are the dogs that we hear about that lay on their owner's grave. We are not talking about whether the dog will be fed orijen, taken to doggy parks, dressed in cutesy tu tus. That has nothing to do with it at all. When there is that deep connection between the dog and the owner, that maybe happens once in a lifetime, and if you are lucky you can maybe experience something close again. Maybe, you just don't consider giving that dog to your sister or your best friend, or even your mother.

Maybe you get another dog to go running with, or to do sport with or to whatever. A heart-dog is NEVER too much hassel, too much training, too much work, too much anything other than grief at the passing.

Every dog you love and train and care for is not a heart dog. You cannot buy a heart dog, you cannot make a dog a heart dog. You can have a devoted, loyal, sweet, obedient, beautiful, awesome in every way dog that you love to pieces that isn't a heart dog.

Most of the reasons people will rehome a dog, including this one, seem pretty shallow to me. But I generally think that if someone is considering rehoming the dog, the bond (normal bond can happen without it being a heart dog) isn't really all that great, and rehoming the dog is probably the best bet if it is gone about responsibly.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #197 (permalink)
Banned

Right, and because re-homing is shallow you produced litter after litter and re-homed those pups and put them into the possible situation of being passed around....

Oh the irony and hypocrisy....mindblowing....
Mrs.K is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #198 (permalink)
Elite Member

Well I can't speak for the OP, but I have thought of rehoming my own GSD. Not that I actually would, but it does cross my mind at times. Why? Because I originally got him to do sports with and with severe bilateral HD that dream went down the drain. My 1st dog has luxating patellas so no competitive sports there either. Sure, I could get another dog, but that puts me at 3 dogs and if the 3rd dog came up with a health problem then I'll be at 3 pets.

The last thing I want is 3 pets; I don't even really want 3 dogs, but I also don't want to push my "sick" dog(s?) onto anyone else. So it comes down to 3 options - 1) get a 3rd dog 2) wait until 1 passes 3)rehome a dog. Well seeing as how my current two are 3.5 and 1.5 years old I doubt #2 will happen anytime soon so the only other option (if rehoming is not an option) would be #1.

Will I rehome one of my dogs? No, not for the foreseeable future. I don't know if I'd call them my "heart dog(s)", but I love them (and vice versa) and I can't see myself letting them go. I will make it work somehow. I don't resent my dogs for being unable to do sports, I'm sure they didn't wish to have health problems, but sometimes I do feel disappointment in being unable to participate. I can't judge the OP, I don't know his situation well enough, but if Mina is going to be ignored or resented she may be better off in a new home.

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
Verivus is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #199 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
Right, and because re-homing is shallow you produced litter after litter and re-homed those pups and put them into the possible situation of being passed around....

Oh the irony and hypocrisy....mindblowing....
Hypocrisy how??
Many people want a purebred dog, a well-bred dog.
You don't breed litters with the intention of keeping them all, then decide at 2-3yrs. "they don't get along" and up and get rid of them.
Two totally different things
msvette2u is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #200 (permalink)
Banned

With all due respect, let's not go into the aspect of what is quality breeding.

If you have issues with people re-homing their dogs, then you don't toss more dogs into an already oversatuated market.
Mrs.K is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.