Rough training week and starting to think the unthinkable - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

When I got hooked on the sport, I had a big black and silver female from a notorious local BYB who mixed German show lines into old American black and silvers...she loved the work - trained her to sch3 level routine....she did not love the stick hits.....you could see her stop and think - Hey! I am doing everything right - quit that! So I never titled her and got another dog, then another who were genetically suited for the work...took both to Sch3 and all three to CDs....Just because your dog won't do PSA work is no reason to get rid of her, do OB or agility...get another pup that is suited for IPO/PSA and cross train her too.....

While there are people who do have dogs purely to be competitive (and horses too) for most people, it is about enjoying your dogs and working with them....

Lee

wolfstraum.net

wolfstraum is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm very stuck on the fact that a title is more important to you then the dog That is so sad, for both you and the dog.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC
Brennan- Golden Retriever

"A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you
more than he loves himself."
llombardo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I can't even fathom the OP's intent.

Would you re-home your fourth grader because they couldn't do fractions very well?

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

This is very common in the sport world. The thing is, if OP keeps her as a pet and gets a puppy bred for this work, most of the OPs time and attention will be spent on the new dog. Which isn't fair to the pet. I know a lot of people who re home if the dog washes out. You need to talk to your club where you won't be judged with whatever decision you make. Here isn't the place for it.

test test test
Capone22 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capone22 View Post
This is very common in the sport world. The thing is, if OP keeps her as a pet and gets a puppy bred for this work, most of the OPs time and attention will be spent on the new dog. Which isn't fair to the pet. I know a lot of people who re home if the dog washes out. You need to talk to your club where you won't be judged with whatever decision you make. Here isn't the place for it.

test test test
The Sport World? The OP hasn't been in the sport world long enough, lets talk about the real world. The OP's exact words were.... She is a byb dog and I never expected to go far with her but club level and to learn with would have been fun and now its the dogs fault because the OP has chosen the sport over the dog?? To each its own

Old 01-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

If you can honestly contemplate rehoming her because she doesn't suit your new hobby, she's not your heart dog. Frankly, I think she deserves an owner who loves her just for the wonderful dog she is and will find things to do that bring out the best in the dog -- instead of being disappointed in her when she tries her best to do something she's just not cut out to do. You aren't that home.

Please be honest here: you love your new hobby and sport friends more than you love that dog. You seem to be thinking of her as a tool that doesn't do what you need for your hobby, so you want to switch her out for a different tool. That totally sucks for her. But don't pretend that "really love her" -- she's "your heart dog." I don't think that's not honest, based on this post.
Magwart is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
If you can honestly contemplate rehoming her because she doesn't suit your new hobby, she's not your heart dog. Frankly, I think she deserves an owner who loves her just for the wonderful dog she is and will find things to do that bring out the best in the dog -- instead of being disappointed in her when she tries her best to do something she's just not cut out to do. You aren't that home.

Please be honest here: you love your new hobby and sport friends more than you love that dog. You seem to be thinking of her as a tool that doesn't do what you need for your hobby, so you want to switch her out for a different tool. That totally sucks for her. But don't pretend that "really love her" -- she's "your heart dog." I don't think that's not honest, based on this post.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #18 (permalink)
Elite Member

Dogs are rehomed all the time for all kinds of reasons. Its just a dogs life I guess. IPO is supposed to be a screening tool. If the dog cannot excel in the subject, no sense in forcing it to continue. I see no problem with the OPs thought process. A dog is a long term financial obligation. If he wants to dedicate his time in money towards IPO dogs, then rehoming would be a fair option. Maybe there is another home out there that has other interests and will be able to share a different kind of life with the dog.
robk is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Both of my dogs washed out in SchH. I tried for 2 solid years to accomplish something there before I finally looked at it from the dogs point of view. Sure they were thrilled to go every week, but they weren't having much fun. So I changed directions, and looked into Dock Diving. The three of us had a blast. I changed MY interest so my dogs could do something well...to build their confidence and our bond. But I did it because they truly have my heart.

SO I have to agree with Magwart here....
Quote:
If she was your heart dog, there would be no question.

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
Zisso is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I am not going to sit in judgement of you. I have seen this is common with working dogs and it takes a lot of time and energy to work with one dog...often to the detriment of the other...if you don't have the time, energy, and desire to have her as a beloved pet...then it would be better for all to find the place where she can be.

I am assuming you are talking about finding the perfect home, offering to take her back if it does not work out, etc. and keeping up with her - not just handing her off to a stranger. I feel there should be a commitment to ensure she is placed in the best situation for her.

I would be harsh on you if you were pawning off a dog with health problems or an old dog who had been a family member for many years to make room for a new one. I have an old retired dog who soaks up food, vet bills, and love...he would never go anywhere but when I got Beau-the breeder knew if he did not work out, I would find him a pet home.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.