Rough training week and starting to think the unthinkable - Page 18 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #171 (permalink)
Banned

Jakoda, that's part of it but the other part is...people who are actually dog people doing it.
And the callousness of it...I think is what's bothering folks.
Just talking about her like she's yesterday's news, she's nothing special, no sparkle, just a hum-drum dog now that he's got the spiffy new one, and so out she goes.

I could actually accept "they hate each other" more, except then we'd advise finding the new one a home since Mina was there first. At least that's kind of "legit", if you will.

Not..."well, I want to do [whatever], and Mina just isn't cut out for it, so out she goes".
"I want the newer, fancier dog".

I could accept that kind of attitude from someone who got a dog off craigslist, maybe (and know some people like that) but this is just a bit harsh.

Quote:
it's more about the "person" who needs to stop, be realistic about what you have, what you want and deal with it.
THIS exactly. It's not about the rehoming...it's more of a reality check. And mycobra took the reality check and instead of saying, "Gosh I love my dog, I'm gonna keep this broken little piece of fluff and love her and work with her in a venue she's fine with", it's "I wanna become a big shot Sch whatever, so gonna ditch Mina and get a newer, glitzier model".

As a rescuer that just...it is so typical and not in a warm fuzzy way. And, that why so many responded, "send her here, she can sit around the house being a pet all day", because some of us love our dogs just the way they are, we don't expect them to do things they cannot do or we'll get rid of them.
msvette2u is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #172 (permalink)
Banned

There is nothing callous about it!

If he is doing SchH, and he's not only a handler but also a helper, there is not going to be much time left for Mina. So is she supposed to sit along at home all day long? Not getting the attention she deserves?

You cannot keep them all and it's more abusive for a dog to be at home and emotionally neglected rather than being rehomed with the right people.

If he would dump her in a shelter I would understand but tell me what the heck is wrong with rehoming a dog into a new home, that you have picked and that's working with you.

If people wouldn't rehome their dogs and keep them all, none of you would actually have one!
Mrs.K is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #173 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
So is she supposed to sit along at home all day long? Not getting the attention she deserves?
See, this is what I don't get...why do people assume this? Also, what do folks who work 8-9 hrs. a day (plus commute time) do??

Not every sits home all day gazing into their dogs eyes, I don't think? In the evening, when you return home, you pet the dog and walk it or let it outside, just like everyone else who is gone all day.

I'm always slightly bemused (and saddened) when I see craiglist posts that way "we're just gone too much to keep Rover any longer, we work 8hrs. a day" when I just got an application from an adopter who works 8hrs. a day and will make it work with the dog, because they want it to work.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #174 (permalink)
Master Member

Giving her to a new home may be better of for her. If hes dedicated to the sport and his dogs arent 'pets' then all that she is going to do is get neglected while another dog is being trained. If you LOVE the dog as much as you say you do than this whole convo should have never started. But if you are going to see her as a failure or waste of time then give her up, someone else will love and care for her.

Tom

Penny - 9/7/12 (GSD)

Abbi -5/9/09-12/7/12 (GSD)
TommyB681 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #175 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
See, this is what I don't get...why do people assume this? Also, what do folks who work 8-9 hrs. a day (plus commute time) do??

Not every sits home all day gazing into their dogs eyes, I don't think? In the evening, when you return home, you pet the dog and walk it or let it outside, just like everyone else who is gone all day.

I'm always slightly bemused (and saddened) when I see craiglist posts that way "we're just gone too much to keep Rover any longer, we work 8hrs. a day" when I just got an application from an adopter who works 8hrs. a day and will make it work with the dog, because they want it to work.

Schutzhund is three phases. THREE. Obedience, Protection and Tracking. It e takes a big deal of work. On top he is a HELPER, and works all the dogs in the club. So he not only has to train to be that helper but to train his own dogs.
Working a dog out on the field IS work. If you have a fulltime job on top of that, you can't do anything else. It's your life! All you do, it is revolving around the sport and it becomes an obsession.
Most your friends become people that are in the sport because many won't understand why you can't go out, since you have to get up early in the morning to lay your track.
Or why you don't make it that Saturday to the birthday party, since you are out trialing the dog.

If he wants to go in big, and be a helper on top, he's not going to have time for another dog.

You know what's going to happen? If Mina is anywhere near like Indra, she will develope a hatred for the other bitch.
In the end, I couldn't have Indra in a crate next to Nala because she started fighting her through the crate. Especially since she was my main dog in SAR and was used to being worked on a regular basis.

It isn't fair to the dog. It isn't fair to him and as long as you responsibly re-home the dog, there is NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING wrong with it! PERIOD!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #176 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
she will develope a hatred for the other bitch.
This is already happening and may be part of the reason for a new home for Mina. But also, the OP knew he was bringing another bitch into the home when he got Heidi.

Mrs K, you can get all kinds of worked up and those of us who feel this way aren't going to change our minds.

I thought I explained adequately why I felt the way I do, you can come in and say "Oh, you are wrong for how you feel" but it doesn't work like that, unfortunately.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #177 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
This is already happening and may be part of the reason for a new home for Mina. But also, the OP knew he was bringing another bitch into the home when he got Heidi.

Mrs K, you can get all kinds of worked up and those of us who feel this way aren't going to change our minds.

I thought I explained adequately why I felt the way I do, you can come in and say "Oh, you are wrong for how you feel" but it doesn't work like that, unfortunately.
And I fully understand, however, you have to differ between those that responsibly place/sell their dogs within their own network and those who dump their dogs on craigslist or into a kill shelter, or worse, abandon them on the side of the road.

We are not the same kind of people. We know exactly what the dog needs and the strength and weaknesses of our dogs and can place them adequately. And most of the time it goes fast and we don't have the same issues that you see on craigslist where someone posts a new post each day and gets more desperate by the second.

It is actually kind of insulting to put us into the same boat as that kind of crowd.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #178 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
THIS exactly. It's not about the rehoming...it's more of a reality check. And mycobra took the reality check and instead of saying, "Gosh I love my dog, I'm gonna keep this broken little piece of fluff and love her and work with her in a venue she's fine with", it's "I wanna become a big shot Sch whatever, so gonna ditch Mina and get a newer, glitzier model".
If you'd read my post, you'd see I understand exactly what's going on.
And the CL people manage to justify their rehomings, too.

Quote:
that kind of crowd.
That kind of crowd? The kind that says "I love my dog so much I'm going to get rid of it, for it's own good"?

Last edited by msvette2u; 01-07-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #179 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Here's why this is a hot button topic and the "pet" people will never understand the "sport" people...

I started golfing 3 years ago, purchased a starter set of golf clubs for $200. After one year, I realized I was getting much better, and decided to replace that set of golf clubs with a proper golf set that I pieced together like most golfers do that fit my game better and make the likelihood of success much greater.

Take that story, replace golf club with dog.

Add onto that...greatest dog ever, love of my life, ect, ect. Biggest mistake OP made...posting this on the forum.
martemchik is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #180 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Biggest mistake OP made...posting this on the forum.[/QUOTE] This is what I said like 7 pages ago
Loneforce is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.