Rough training week and starting to think the unthinkable - Page 17 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #161 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 17,929
Default

If she's talking about the thread(s) I think, that was a while back, and yes people did advise her to re-home or return the dog.
__________________
Coke (All-American 7/7/06)
Nikon (GSD 9/7/08)
Indy (All-American 5/10/12)
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #162 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
marshies's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,586
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeofRiley View Post
According to your post, you received advice from GSD people, what was your conclusion? Probably not an appropriate question for this thread. Sorry if I over-stepped
No no, I was just curious as to why you asked, since I thought my post was conclusive enough. Guess I still gotta hone those thread-writing skills.

My conclusion was, no, she was probably not a great fit. In fact, she was probably a wrong breed, maybe even a wrong species all together. At my stage in life, the most pet I probably should've thought about was a cat, not a demanding GSD. I STILL think she would've been happier and better served in another home. I was SELFISH in my decision to keep her. I was selfish because I wanted a dog, and I knew if I gave her back to my breeder, there would be no way my parents would agree to me getting another one to replace her - GSD or easier breed. So even though I didn't and still don't have the handling skills to train her, or all the time she would like me to have to play with her, I kept her.

I see dogs that live better lives than her ALL the time, and I feel a little guilty. These dogs are better behaved, have less crate time, more play time, more people time...the list goes on.

That's why I support the OP's decision. Though we are both being selfish in different ways, his seflish serves the dog BETTER than my selfish. His TRAINED dog would go on to live a GREAT life being someone else's PRINCESS, instead of his resource drain.
__________________
Amaretto von Huerta Hof -Adventures and Dog Product Reviews-
marshies is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 11:26 PM   #163 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
LifeofRiley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,119
Default

Marshies,

Don't beat yourself up! You are providing the most important things - love, commitment and understanding!
LifeofRiley is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 11:32 PM   #164 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Beautiful Pacific NW
Posts: 11,005
Default

One thing that people seem to do is bemoan the fact their dog doesn't get "enough time", top-of-the-line diet, a huge plush bed, sleep on the bed, a spot on the floor all to them, etc. etc. etc.

What folks forget is, dogs are happy in the moment, they live in the moment.
A walk, a cuddle, a healthy meal, a blanket on the floor, it's good enough - because dogs don't miss what they don't have.

People think "if I only had a bigger house...", "if I only had the newest car..." etc.

Dogs never do that!
Dogs are happy with what they have and that's probably what attracts us to them.
"Treated like a princess"? What does that mean?? Does that mean that 1x a week to the groomer, a fancier collar than you can find at Walmart, a sweater or jacket, what?
Do you think dogs care about that stuff? Not really.

Laying by our woodstove, cuddled on a blankie, a bowl of Kirkland (which they go nuts over) and they are happy.

Marshies, I think you compare yourself to other dog owners too much
msvette2u is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #165 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
marshies's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,586
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeofRiley View Post
Marshies,

Don't beat yourself up! You are providing the most important things - love, commitment and understanding!
Thanks!

But I guess we differ in our thought process.

Love isn't enough for anyone, certainly not a working breed dog. They need proper care, training, leadership, and companionship. I think my dog and the OP's dog could get more of that, and more understanding of their needs, in another home. In my case, I compromised my dog's needs to meet human needs. In his case, it makes even more sense to rehome because both of their needs would be better met, and it isn't a trade off.

Commitment is a human trait, it means little to my dog. She would've bonded marvelously with another person in time as well
__________________
Amaretto von Huerta Hof -Adventures and Dog Product Reviews-
marshies is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 11:50 PM   #166 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
llombardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 6,791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshies View Post
Thanks!

But I guess we differ in our thought process.

Love isn't enough for anyone, certainly not a working breed dog. They need proper care, training, leadership, and companionship. I think my dog and the OP's dog could get more of that, and more understanding of their needs, in another home. In my case, I compromised my dog's needs to meet human needs. In his case, it makes even more sense to rehome because both of their needs would be better met, and it isn't a trade off.

Commitment is a human trait, it means little to my dog. She would've bonded marvelously with another person in time as well
I'm not suggesting anything but it sounds like the OP's dog would be better for you and yours better for him.
__________________
Misty- Samoyed Mix
Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- German Shepherd CGC
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC
Brennan- Golden Retriever



"A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you
more than he loves himself."
llombardo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 12:39 AM   #167 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
marshies's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,586
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
One thing that people seem to do is bemoan the fact their dog doesn't get "enough time", top-of-the-line diet, a huge plush bed, sleep on the bed, a spot on the floor all to them, etc. etc. etc.

What folks forget is, dogs are happy in the moment, they live in the moment.
A walk, a cuddle, a healthy meal, a blanket on the floor, it's good enough - because dogs don't miss what they don't have.

People think "if I only had a bigger house...", "if I only had the newest car..." etc.

Dogs never do that!
Dogs are happy with what they have and that's probably what attracts us to them.
"Treated like a princess"? What does that mean?? Does that mean that 1x a week to the groomer, a fancier collar than you can find at Walmart, a sweater or jacket, what?
Do you think dogs care about that stuff? Not really.

Laying by our woodstove, cuddled on a blankie, a bowl of Kirkland (which they go nuts over) and they are happy.

Marshies, I think you compare yourself to other dog owners too much
I agree with you on the material goods. My dog doesn't care if she's eating Orijen topped with yogurt, oils, and other goodies or Iams...BUT, I think it does make a difference when it comes to time for exercise and training.

Thread isn't about me or my dog, but I just think that the OP is not WRONG to consider rehoming. I'm just using my example to illustrate how sometimes keeping the dog isn't the best thing for the dog. Also, when I was feeling overwhelmed way back when, a post that stuck out to me was that there is really no point in keeping the dog if your heart isn't in it 100%.
__________________
Amaretto von Huerta Hof -Adventures and Dog Product Reviews-
marshies is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 12:44 AM   #168 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
marshies's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,586
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I'm not suggesting anything but it sounds like the OP's dog would be better for you and yours better for him.
Haha. No. My dog isn't what the OP is looking for. Plus, I've worked hard to try to meet her needs, and I think I have the bare minimum covered...so I don't think the heartbreak to both of us would justify the better care she would receive YET.

I was just using my situation to say, keeping a dog isn't always the RIGHT thing to do, or the best for the dog. It's a choice people make for a number of reasons. We should be less critical of the OP, and laud them for putting in training and time into a dog. This dog would be very appreciated by someone who might not have the same skills to train dogs, and want an obedient companion. The OP can go on to train a puppy like the OP wants to the sporting level the OP wants.
__________________
Amaretto von Huerta Hof -Adventures and Dog Product Reviews-
marshies is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #169 (permalink)
Moderator
 
JakodaCD OA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Old Lyme, CT USA
Posts: 20,285
Default

While my opinion may not mean much, I'm going to thro it out there.

I think what is in the best interest of the dog is what's important.

I do think what get's people's ire up, is saying "this is my heart dog" because I can't imagine re-homing my heart dog.

I also agree when you (general you/anybody) puts this on an internet forum with a bunch of gsd lovers, you are opening up a can of worms. So keep it to yourself, we (general we) don't want to know and you (general you) won't open yourself up to being criticized for your decision.

Rehoming dogs is not exclusive to one group. Some people, and I see it here, are just "collectors" , impulsively getting dog(s) they end up with more than they can handle, arent working out, rehome them.

I'm certainly not saying this is a "bad" thing, because again, it's about the DOG. but in some instances I've seen, it's more about the "person" who needs to stop, be realistic about what you have, what you want and deal with it.

If the OP came on here and said, "I think she would be better off in another home" I think this thread would not have become so volatile.

JUst my 2cents
__________________
Diane

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #170 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jeff. County, NY
Posts: 9,001
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
While my opinion may not mean much, I'm going to thro it out there.

I think what is in the best interest of the dog is what's important.

I do think what get's people's ire up, is saying "this is my heart dog" because I can't imagine re-homing my heart dog.

I also agree when you (general you/anybody) puts this on an internet forum with a bunch of gsd lovers, you are opening up a can of worms. So keep it to yourself, we (general we) don't want to know and you (general you) won't open yourself up to being criticized for your decision.

Rehoming dogs is not exclusive to one group. Some people, and I see it here, are just "collectors" , impulsively getting dog(s) they end up with more than they can handle, arent working out, rehome them.

I'm certainly not saying this is a "bad" thing, because again, it's about the DOG. but in some instances I've seen, it's more about the "person" who needs to stop, be realistic about what you have, what you want and deal with it.

If the OP came on here and said, "I think she would be better off in another home" I think this thread would not have become so volatile.

JUst my 2cents
I am going to be honest here. With everything going on in my life, if I had known what I know now, I would have never taken onto a fourth dog, ever.
If I had known that my husband was getting demoted and we are on the brink of this kind of disaster in our personal life, the last thing I would have done was taking in another dog and a Malinois at that.

She can be a pain in the butt and will give you the run around. My physical condition has worsened, also due to the stress so I have to concentrate on myself on top of that and all these factors are the reason why I'm downzising.

It really sucks and it hurts because I don't view any of our dogs as piece of equipment. If they were, our couch and bed would be dog hair free and they'd spend their time in a kennel downstairs, rather than with us, snuggling on the couch.

You get attached to the dog and the dog gets attached to you but you cannot keep them all.

Also, the hypocrisy of some breeders is mindblowing. I won't get into it because it'll blow the topic up even more but if you speak out against re-homing but produce litters... maybe you are in the wrong business.
Mrs.K is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:16 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com