Rough training week and starting to think the unthinkable - Page 14 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 10:02 PM   #131 (permalink)
x11
Banned

a rescue volunteer tells me the main reason dogs come into rescue is not aggression, abuse, financial difficulty...it is healthy nice dogs that do not meet the owners expectation of what the breed should do. i would be interested if other rescues have their reasons for rescue documented so people could anaylse the reasons.

I am not linking this post to the OP btw.
x11 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #132 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I guess I don't understand this. I don't get why it's perfectly OK to rehome breeding dogs or "working" dogs (what does that mean?) or dogs that you just don't feel bonded to (see other thread) but rehoming a pet is vastly different? Is it different to the DOG? I don't think so. I guess I see it the other way around. Sometimes I see breeders moving around so many dogs it makes me sad but they get put on a pedestal and held to a different standard because they are breeders. Also I can't imagine rehoming a working dog, your partner.
A working dog is a dog with a job, not a dog that belongs to someone with a dog sport hobby. Dogs with poor temperaments shouldn't be bred...

I don't think that dogs should never be rehomed, there are plenty of good reasons. JMO that the attitude towards sports dogs kinda sucks, they are just disposable tools to compete with. My .02, I'm out.

Havoc ~ (aka "Super") GSD - Rest easy buddy.
Keeper ~ (rest in peace little stinker) (Aussie)
KristiM is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #133 (permalink)
Crowned Member

X11, that should be its own thread.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #134 (permalink)
x11
Banned

gotcha
Old 01-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #135 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiM View Post

I don't think that dogs should never be rehomed, there are plenty of good reasons. JMO that the attitude towards sports dogs kinda sucks, they are just disposable tools to compete with. My .02, I'm out.
This is not a "sport dog" attitude. There are plenty of pet people or any people that think dogs are disposable. None of my rescue fosters have had any sport training and their owners dumped them. Can't say we've ever had a sport/SchH/IPO washout come through either rescue I volunteer for, but there are dozens of dogs in both rescues right now and when one gets adopted there are ten more to take its place. The only sport dog I've helped rehome recently was because the owner died and had failed to make arrangements for her dogs beforehand. Most sport people I know would kill for their dog. I only know one person that rehomed a sport dog because of how it performed (or didn't perform) and I didn't agree with those circumstances either. Maybe there is some pandemic of sport people dumping dogs but I'm happy to say that's not where I live and train... At my flyball club we routinely have people bring in their older dogs (that can't train and compete because of age or health issues) and play around with them. Many of these dogs made the team what it is today. Same is true at SchH club, people will bring out an older, retired dog to do some easy obedience and play around and everyone reminisces about that dog. Even washouts are welcome. I bring Coke to flyball and Schutzhund!
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Last edited by Liesje; 01-06-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Liesje is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #136 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
A working dog is a dog with a job, not a dog that belongs to someone with a dog sport hobby. Dogs with poor temperaments shouldn't be bred...

That IS a job! Doing Sport, especially SchH, is a full time job for the dog.
Mrs.K is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 10:11 PM   #137 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:

I agree with you....but I don't judge sports by what some handlers do. Most treat their dog as a worthy partner and not as a piece of equipment.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #138 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
The best thing you can learn is next time don't come to an Internet board with this type of issue. You have to do what is in the best interest of you and your dog. If you are that vested in the sport, you could keep the dog and be a good guy, maybe get a second dog that likes this a lot, and this dog becomes relegated to second class citizen in their own house....as opposed to being somewhere where the dog could be King or Queen. Or you could deny yourself the second dog or give up the sport that you love and she is queen or king heart with an owner that is resentful. My point is, there are many endings for this story that can end happily or unhappily, and it is critical that you seek a remedy that meets both of your needs. Most opinions that can't or won't understand ALL aspects of this situation, may be well intentioned, but reality is this is a private situation that someone not walking in your moccasins can only speak for THEIR situation and not yours. You have a responsibility to do what is best for you and your dog....there is no one answer to this as some would lead you to believe.....for them maybe....but each life situation varies and good solutions abound. I wish the best for you and your dog, and if you make responsible decisions, I assure you both of you will do well!
Excellent post Cliff!

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 10:17 PM   #139 (permalink)
x11
Banned

wow, thats the kind of post i would like to make but it never comes out that way.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #140 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
This is not a "sport dog" attitude. There are plenty of pet people or any people that think dogs are disposable. None of my rescue fosters have had any sport training and their owners dumped them. Can't say we've ever had a sport/SchH/IPO washout come through either rescue I volunteer for, but there are dozens of dogs in both rescues right now and when one gets adopted there are ten more to take its place. The only sport dog I've helped rehome recently was because the owner died and had failed to make arrangements for her dogs beforehand. Most sport people I know would kill for their dog. I only know one person that rehomed a sport dog because of how it performed (or didn't perform) and I didn't agree with those circumstances either. Maybe there is some pandemic of sport people dumping dogs but I'm happy to say that's not where I live and train... At my flyball club we routinely have people bring in their older dogs (that can't train and compete because of age or health issues) and play around with them. Many of these dogs made the team what it is today. Same is true at SchH club, people will bring out an older, retired dog to do some easy obedience and play around and everyone reminisces about that dog. Even washouts are welcome. I bring Coke to flyball and Schutzhund!
Well, I am glad that is your experience. But, you should not discount the experience of others. Much like you warned others not to judge the "sport world" on this thread, don't judge others with rescue experience that goes against your particular experience in that venue... I, and others here, have worked in all breed rescues... our stories may be different from yours. But, again, speak to the same mindset of what the OP posted here.

I think we all should be concerned that there are clubs out there that actively recommend getting rid of a poor performing dog. That tarnishes the sport world, even if it is, as you suggest, not common.
LifeofRiley is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.