Doing 2 sports? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

speaking from my experience from interested SchH people drifting over to the Ring club out of curiousity was that the SchH dogs were equipment oriented - had trouble addressing "the man" . One example a high scoring recent SchH import was brought out to the field to show him off. There was a sleeve lying at the far corners . We were all huddled under an awning trying to get some relief from the searing heat . Dog comes out of truck and goes flying down the length of the field to worry the sleeve . Decoy and handler collect dog and sleeve and come closer to where we are . Decoy with back to palisades agitates dog , who gets a good deep grip . Then decoy slips him the sleeve , is able to walk behind the decoy and pretend to whack him on the shoulders. Dog so focused on sleeve he had not noticed. The other thing we saw from dogs coming from SchH was that they were not used to the decoy being "not their friend , not their helper" -- .

If I were to do it I would do the Ring first because it is not so regimented and you have a dog comfortable if he makes mistakes - because the decoy will try to defeat the dog , mentally , emotionally and physically by getting out of the way , not giving him the target .

BUT if you want a title go with whatever gives you the best opportunities to title. After Ring I went to Mondio - there just is not enough interest or participation to have the club future secure or to hold trials. Schutzhund has that as a benefit. If one club folds there is another down the road. Not so much the case with the Ring sports.

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 09:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

From our neck of the woods, Daniela and Baron were Regional IPO Champs, Ring Regional Champs, (held on the same weekend, if I recall correctly) and went to the Worlds in Mondio...they are probably the most exceptional example of a high level sport dog team I am aware of.

Another friend has done 3 sports with the same dog, and other friends with real world working dogs have dabbled in various sports...it takes clear dogs, and exceptional training...but it can be done.
www.vandesterke.com
Tim Connell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Member

The right dog with the right handler = no problems. No only can they "do" it, they can also achieve goals. There is a huge difference between simply "doing it" and achieving goals.

The wrong dog/handler combination = 1000's of excuses, a lot of "doing/talk" and zero goals
Packen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 10:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you don't have to travel 3+ hours to train in the different sports, then it would be doable...but doing just one can be expensive and very time consuming. If I had access to local clubs with different sports I'd take advantage for sure.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Thanks for the input! I think I'm going to stay out of ring sports with this boy. He's not comfortable enough with going down heights to do that climbing wall anyway. I'd rather do his IPO and then if I have time look into other things. There are a lot of things out there to do. Maybe with another dog when I'm a better handler we can look into Ring sports. I am going to work on his PP training as he gets older. I don't want him trained to a sleeve. I think that's a disservice to the breed.
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.