Protection training question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Protection training question

For those of you that have completed protection programs, how long were they and what do they generally cost?
jlbjab08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

In my experience, it's not something that is timed. It is based on the dog, and the handler. Some dogs take longer then others. Some can't do it, some can. They are not "programs", but more like clubs and groups... meaning, it's something that you do for long term, not 6-12weeks. Most (the ones who are responsible) will not train for bite work only... you will have to do at least obedience and protection together. Anywhere that offers only bite work.... I would be concerned of their credentials and what they would do to my dog.

Price is also the same thing. It depends who you go to, what they want to charge, if they charge for group/club fees, helper fees, facility fees, etc. Some are monthly, some yearly... some both... and also some that just charge for each visit.

It's not cheap or easy and is very time consuming... even if you are not going for the sport.

Currently, I consider my fees cheap. I pay $35 each session for group days, I'm out there 2 days a week and train every day at home (obedience only, and starting some tracking). I am part of a group, so there's no time period set on it... we go at my dogs pace and I will stay with them for as long as my dogs and I enjoy it.

I see you are in FL... what part?
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
TrickyShepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

There is personal protection training with it own type of certification. Its different than IPO which is more of a sport. Hopefully someone who is experienced in this area can chime in and help answer your question.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 11:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I train mine in the manner I feel is appropriate, and until such point that I honestly believe they will protect me. Titles & certs and "$$$ dollars and I'll make your dog a protection machine" deals have very little value to me as far as that is concerned. I train my dogs for IPO knowing some of what I do *will* cost me points, but I feel better knowing I'm honoring the "spirit" of it all. Most people are horrified of my male. I like that. He is by a wide margin more predictable than my other dogs. He's the only one I've never had a "didn't see that coming" moment... Learn your dog and dogs in general, then you won't really need anyone to help you with any sort of "program". You'll be in control of your own training program.
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I agree

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Old 09-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
I train mine in the manner I feel is appropriate, and until such point that I honestly believe they will protect me. Titles & certs and "$$$ dollars and I'll make your dog a protection machine" deals have very little value to me as far as that is concerned. I train my dogs for IPO knowing some of what I do *will* cost me points, but I feel better knowing I'm honoring the "spirit" of it all. Most people are horrified of my male. I like that. He is by a wide margin more predictable than my other dogs. He's the only one I've never had a "didn't see that coming" moment... Learn your dog and dogs in general, then you won't really need anyone to help you with any sort of "program". You'll be in control of your own training program.
There has been a person posting on CL to train protection dogs(6 week course) and then posts asking for decoys to work his dogs....anybody giving that person money has to be ignorant. It's sad, because 'trainers' like that give protection trained dog a bad name and cause liability.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

I haven't met a "protection" trainer yet worth a **** that doesn't have experience and foundation in some type of sport as well. I'd be very wary of anyone that didn't.
crackem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
There has been a person posting on CL to train protection dogs(6 week course) and then posts asking for decoys to work his dogs....anybody giving that person money has to be ignorant. It's sad, because 'trainers' like that give protection trained dog a bad name and cause liability.
I'm *extremely* anal about who and how works my dogs. What really sucks is that people actually believe the dog will protect them in the time of need because he taught it to bite a sleeve :-/

I think you don't see legit "bring your dog and we'll train him to be a protection dog" training programs because it would be a massive business failure. An honest trainer would say to a vast majority of customers "Sorry, this isn't a good dog for this" or "sorry, its just not in the dog" or "I refuse to make a ticking time bomb out of your dog... let me find a different dog for you".
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1

Last edited by hunterisgreat; 09-13-2012 at 11:55 AM.
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Good trainers don't need to run ads on CL.
The one I posted above about running ads in my area is suspicious...googling the phone # brings up so many ads on dog(pits) sales, etc also supposedly runs a rescue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.