Are there ANY decent trainers/clubs in Ohio? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #31 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sorry about the advice...you won't have to worry about me making that mistake again....Good Luck!
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 12:31 AM   #32 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
Sorry about the advice...you won't have to worry about me making that mistake again....Good Luck!
I am puzzled by this response. I explained what I put in the emails. I also explained more about my position and what I don't know/need to know. From what I've read, you know quite a bit about training, bloodlines, and basically everything else so I'm kind of upset about this response from you. I seem to not always make myself clear, and when I try to make myself more clear then it just seems to offend people. It wasn't my intent. I actually went through the entire thread again to see if anything stood out. I did make a mistake in the last paragraph. I should have made a separate post for that as it wasn't in response to anything you said but rather something someone else said. Either way, I did ask for your input as to what I *should* put in the emails.. asking what they're looking for (if anything). Please explain to me what I said (other than the mistake I mentioned) that you found upsetting. I'm finding trying to communicate on here frustrating at times. I wouldn't continue to attempt to do this except for the fact that I need info. on certain things from people that know what they're talking about. I don't come on here to tick people off or to offend people. However, I do need to know what it is I'm saying that is offending people so I can attempt to clarify. My apologies for whatever it was that upset you.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:20 AM   #33 (permalink)
Elite Member

I've had better luck with phone calls over e-mails when I was contacting clubs, although this was several years ago. I think they may take you more seriously with a phone call, and some of the trainers (at least around here) don't really even use e-mail.

It may be old fashioned but might be worth a try.

Kira von Wolfstraum HGH
PAM ARCH SG Kessy vom Waldwinkel 2xHGH Schh1 OB2 RL1X RL3 RN TT AD
Djenga von Castra Regina RL2 BH HIC TT
Madina vom Arolser Holz BH AD CGC
The JRT's: ARCHX Gizmo TT RL1X RL2X RL3 & Cricket RL2
phgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 03:25 AM   #34 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phgsd View Post
I've had better luck with phone calls over e-mails when I was contacting clubs, although this was several years ago. I think they may take you more seriously with a phone call, and some of the trainers (at least around here) don't really even use e-mail.

It may be old fashioned but might be worth a try.
Thank you, I will try that! What exactly should you say (or not say)?
Old 08-19-2012, 03:49 AM   #35 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Too late to fix my previous post, but I obviously won't be speaking of any prior experiences. I want to come in as a blank slate (which is pretty much where I'm at). I am concerned, though, that being honest about my lack of knowledge would be a deal breaker for some clubs. I will try to call tomorrow to the two listed.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:20 AM   #36 (permalink)
Crowned Member

No problem! I interpreted your post wrong in terms of advice based on your last post. I agree with previous poster gabout phone calls being helpful. I am always willing to help someone and take a lot of phone calls also. If you want send me a pm and we can go from there.
Cliff
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #37 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You have been given plenty of advice from people who have experience and knowledge - you have an unknown puppy that is from untitled parents - with a risky pedigree - and much of that advice does not validate your HOPES and unsubstantiated beliefs, so you are very belligerent about this puppy's ability. No one can guarantee you a titleable puppy....I have seen washouts who were sired by World Champions....getting a pup from PROVEN parents, ie credential parents who have produced credential progeny, is different....lets not even go into the difference between potential in working and show lines and what most working club helpers think of show lines on the field...yes, there is a predjudice, I have seen it for years, and I also know that it is valid....yes, showlines get titled, and the training is not only harder, the judging is softer, and judges and clubs specifically chosen to "get them through" as the sport titles are - by many show line breeders - a nuisence! You are closest to Gtr Cincy....the old Gtr Cincy in Vernoa now has a different name, Kentucky Ridge, and the club split - so try them again as the dynamics will be different....go to observe a few times.....

Unfortunately, many many newbies come to clubs with ingrained determined attitudes that the BY bred pup or the show pup or the whatever pup they have is the greatest thing since sliced bread. They won't listen, they won't learn - they already KNOW everything because they read it on the net or they were fed alot of BS by someone to sell them a pup - seen it over and over and over....and so has everyone else who is experienced in these clubs....You came here after the fact with this same insistance that this pup - which you have never even seen - is a solid working prospect and are belligerent when anyone has cast any doubt over the potential based on the non existant records of it's parents and breeder. Yes, some do work - some make a club dog with alot of dedication and effort on the part of the TD/Helper....but the owner, if they get hooked, will also learn and get a better suited dog fairly quickly. And frankly, when a newbie comes to a club with this type of attitude, people give up on them early on and no, they won't get help...I have refused to sell pups to people who insist that they are going to join Club X or Y - tell them to go get a pup from someone in that club....less hassle and more chance of sucess for the buyer....

I am sorry for your personal situation, I know that it must be extremely hard - I have been training for 15 years nearly, and a car wreck in March has left me extremely compromised - not the same as your illness, but devastating none the less.....but the reality of the scarcity of IPO opportunity and the dynamics of clubs is what it is...

Good Luck

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net

Last edited by wolfstraum; 08-19-2012 at 08:52 AM.
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.