Are there ANY decent trainers/clubs in Ohio? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think GCK9 is right on point. I think you need to get your dog involved in a good working dog club, preferably Sch, SDA, Ring, Mondio, etc. After successful involvement in one of those venues I think you will have a good idea of whether your dog would enjoy PSA. Many dogs that enjoy Sch do not flourish in PSA. Not saying your dog will or will not, but I think Sch provides some of the best obedience foundation you can get.
Good luck
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #22 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Yeah, *finding* a club is an issue. I've gone to a couple... both times was told I should've had the dog out there at 8 weeks. Very discouraging if I can't find one that isn't "at capacity". I'll keep looking. I'm not opposed to Sch. at all. If this dog can't do the work, I'll eat my shorts. I'm confident he will. I had the same stuff said about my other male. He proved them wrong. He was a BYB dog to boot. I found a place for puppy classes/obedience. It's Circle Tail in Cinci. They also do private lessons for self training service dogs. It will at least get the obedience started, but won't do much for anything else. I'd love to go to a club to learn something. However, it feels like I'm trying to get into Fort Knox. They know nothing about my dog, either. So it's not based on anything they know or don't know about his pedigree.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #23 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Little advice....when you introduce yourself to perspective clubs I wouldn't be relaying the experiences with your other dog, or that you know know your dog will do it. I would just inquire, if there is a vacancy and they want to evaluate you let your dog's performance speak for itself. Many times people come to clubs with preconceived notions about the sport based on something from the past....and all clubs are different with different people. Not saying you are or are not....but I have heard you reference to your treatment with your previous dog and how they were wrong; a couple of times, and although it may be true.....leadership in a new club could take it the wrong way. Good Luck!
Like the way you start this post about ANY decent trainers or clubs in OHIO. OF course there are some decent clubs in the state.....now whether or not they are logistically feasible for you????is another issue. But the way you worded that could raise eyebrows.....just trying to help!

Last edited by cliffson1; 08-18-2012 at 07:35 PM.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #24 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Don't limit yourself to OH either...KY or MI has some great groups just over the borders.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #25 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
Little advice....when you introduce yourself to perspective clubs I wouldn't be relaying the experiences with your other dog, or that you know know your dog will do it. I would just inquire, if there is a vacancy and they want to evaluate you let your dog's performance speak for itself. Many times people come to clubs with preconceived notions about the sport based on something from the past....and all clubs are different with different people. Not saying you are or are not....but I have heard you reference to your treatment with your previous dog and how they were wrong; a couple of times, and although it may be true.....leadership in a new club could take it the wrong way. Good Luck!
Like the way you start this post about ANY decent trainers or clubs in OHIO. OF course there are some decent clubs in the state.....now whether or not they are logistically feasible for you????is another issue. But the way you worded that could raise eyebrows.....just trying to help!
Trust me, my emails were extremely short and only inquired about wanting to get info. about joining their club with an upcoming GSD pup. My frustration in the past I've only spoken about here and at home. I'm not stupid. I went to both clubs eager... wanting to learn. It was something I'd wanted to get into for years. The first place NO ONE even spoke to me.. other than to tell me that I had a "show dog" not a working dog. Nearly the same thing happened at the second club. Disappointed is an understatement. I was very happy with the helper, though, who did speak to me about my dog... and told me what to do on the field. I don't know crap about training a dog to do this. I want to learn. I want the people who do know to tell me everything they know. I want help. I don't want to mess up this dog. My reference to *any* is that I'll go anywhere I have to in order to get with a good club that has experienced people who are willing to share what they know. To be quite honest, I don't know how long I'll be able to do this type of thing. My wife may have to take over at some point, and will be helping me with this. Unlike most of you, my clock is ticking. I don't have time for politics. It seems like with some clubs if you didn't buy a pup from the breeder of the club, you're not getting in. Trust me, when you know you have limited time... the way you go about things is more urgent and more to the point. I am trying to find somewhere to go and watch and learn before I get this guy. I'll be very honest that I'm coming with no knowledge behind me... but I'm not saying anything one way or another about that in trying to find a club because I can hear the door shutting on me if I do that. If I have to, I'll send him to be titled first and then maybe he'd be "worthy" of getting into a club.

Do clubs want a resume or the pup's pedigree or something to be approved for a club? I really don't know what to put in the emails other than "I'm looking for a club to join. I am getting a new pup in a few weeks, and am interested in coming to your club." That's about all I've put in emails, other than trying to find someone to do the tattoo. I've found neither so far. I'm trying to learn how to teach tracking from a book. I don't think that's the best way, but I haven't had any luck in finding somewhere to go to learn this from people that have done it. I keep reading that this stuff needs to be started early (like by 10 weeks) and if I can't even locate someone to learn it from how am I supposed to do it? I've just never seen anything like this... where trying to 'break in' is so frustrating. If it's wrong to discuss the frustration of that and ask for the secret handshake or the name of a club that isn't going to freeze me out, I apologize. So far, all three clubs that I know of in the area are a no go. I don't understand at all why clubs would be not wanting to teach. Most dog people I've met (outside of this arena) *want* to talk about their dogs and teach. The only trainers I know of in this area that do that type of training have bad reviews. So I'm at a loss. I guess if you're *in* maybe you can't understand the frustration. Especially after being told before that my dog wasn't "right" and now I am getting a dog that is "right" and I can't even get past the first email... even though I'm not giving them any info. at all basically.
So if anyone can give me any help in this, I'd appreciate it. I'd also appreciate not being told that I need to go and watch and learn... because that's what I'm trying to do. Also please don't knock my pup. I don't knock yours, and I trust my breeder and I trust my pup's pedigree. If he is a wash out, I'll be sure to let you know. The pup's parents being titled doesn't mean squat. I say this because I had a female from German imports who were KKL1 and Shutz. titled and she was a weak headed dog with aggression issues. Her parents were supposedly "proven" yet she could have come from the worst BYB ever as far as her temperament was concerned. From that, I learned to look back further at the pedigree as a whole and not just mom and dad. There are probably lots of dogs out there that *could* be titled that aren't. There are also dogs out there that are titled that shouldn't be. Not to knock those that are, but it's just not the "be all" of deciding which dog will be suited to work.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:45 PM   #26 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Don't limit yourself to OH either...KY or MI has some great groups just over the borders.
Thank you, that's my next stop! Do you know of any clubs in either place that would be willing to take in someone who needs to learn everything? I know it's time consuming... but I'm hoping to run into someone who loves to teach. I am willing to pay for their time and expertise also, of course!
Old 08-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #27 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Drache Feld German Shepherds in Winchester, KY. Might be a bit of a drive for you though.

We like to teach and promise not to bite
Old 08-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #28 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Brian Harvey is worth the drive, just over the border into MI. You can do a pay to play by sessions(stay a few days, if needed) or possibly join the club he runs.
USA - Mid-Eastern Clubs
Old 08-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #29 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Thank you both!! I went to college at EKU and lived in KY for a few years. Not too bad of a drive. I may need to get my truck ready to tow my camper to go to MI. I grew up there for the most part. No drive is too far to make this happen. It's on my 'bucket list' and I'd nearly given up on it. I'll get to one or both before my guy comes. I love to watch other people working their dogs, too, and without a dog I'd have no distractions for taking notes from anyone willing to talk to me.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #30 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would relocate to the east side of the state to train...if it weren't for my DH's job.
If I won the lottery, I'd travel around to the clubs of my choice and train like it was my career. But I'd be sure that my dog enjoyed it as much as I do, or it wouldn't be worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.