Are there ANY decent trainers/clubs in Ohio? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

a great club is Mid-Ohio...but they are strictly IPO About Us
christinaekenn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinaekenn View Post
a great club is Mid-Ohio...but they are strictly IPO About Us
That's OK.. because IPO titles are what I'm interested in.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

well you can't go wrong with that club then! They are incredibly nice and home of a few world team members. They seem to put out some incredibly successful dogs in that club!
christinaekenn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Do you happen to have any contact info. for this club? The website didn't have any...which I found odd. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
There is only ONE listed PSA trainer in this area, and they have some negative reviews... even going so far as saying that the "lead" trainer/owner has lied about his military service. I really want to get into the PSA thing, but if there isn't a good club around I don't see this happening. So secondary is finding a decent trainer to begin with. I went to one Schutzhund group years ago and they refused to even let my dog work with dogs his age because they said he was a "show dog" and they all had sables. My new guy is Czech, but I don't want to go work with dog snobs. That same dog went on a sleeve for the first time at several years old and impressed the heck out of the helper who was in from another city. Again, though, my dog was snubbed by other club members. I want to join a friendly club, and if that isn't possible then I'd like to at least find a good trainer who doesn't lie about his capabilities or charge you your first born for puppy class. Anyone out there from near or in Ohio?
Do not go to Cory Dewberry. Horrible. If your dog is not bred right or show promise, he puts it on the back burner. Doesn't let you see the dog (because it interferes with training) Will work with them seldom. $1200 a month. Yea he is PSA and trains K9's but if your a nobody just trying to get a dog trained, he will take advantage of you. (Pickerington, Ohio) Drama.
Princey009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Can you PM me and let me know if this is a club you're talking about and if so which one? I think I've found a good trainer for just obedience... puppy classes and all that. They also are certified in training service dogs, which is the second thing I want my guy to be trained in. This part is actually pretty important to me, but he doesn't have to do a lot of things. They will work 1 on 1 with you to train your dog to do service work, but also have trained dogs that they will match with a person. I don't think it would be hard for me to do, since I had my last male doing some things that weren't hard and he was eager to do. If I'd had really thought about it, he probably could have been trained easily as a service dog, but I wasn't in that position yet.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Mid-Ohio is a bust. Got an email from them saying their membership is "at capacity". Never heard of a club having a membership limit. Guess I'll look somewhere else. I think I'll start in other states. I really don't care if I have to drive six hours each way at this point. I'm told this dog *will* be able to do the work (pretty much any work) and I don't have time to play games with clubs. I don't want a delay because that could mean he never gets the chance to get onto the field. I wish I would've taken the time to do this before I got sick. I just had no idea any of this would happen. I guess it's a lesson to not put things off if you want to do them. You may not have a "later" to get to it.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #18 (permalink)

Well you must not put the cart before the horse and first understand that as I am sure you will receive a very nice versatile dog that PSA is a sport that the Mal and DS excel at. GSD have done Sch IP0 for a very long time and excel at it. Some GSD can do both sports but this is not the norm. It would be best to get your pup bond with it get the vaccinations finished and have your dog evaluated by a training director at whatever sport you want to try or have interest in.PSA is a very different sport even more so than FR MR as the decoys do not bring the heat at the dog like PSA decoys do.It is just different not better or worse than any other sport. IMO you will need a very high drive puppy that is very outgoing and environmentally sound with a hard character and you will have to keep it high drive and build drives. This can be a challenge for many new gsd owners that want a nice dog lol. I do not know any PSA people in the Mid West have but have trialed under Daryl Richie who is the Mid West Director. If you go to the PSA website you should be able to email him and ask who he could help you reach in the Mid West region. Enjoy and train your new dog no matter what else this is the most important thing!
GCK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

MOST clubs are "at capacity" - there is only so much time in a day and the helper can only work so many dogs a day. A newbie, with a dog from untitled - unproven - parents is often a big drain on the club, because so so many give up and quit after finding out that experienced people are able to make a judgement based on a pedigree that is more often than not validated. It is a many time played out scenerio! Some clubs, even full, will try to accommodate people with pups from the club or experienced people.

There is a trainer out around you that is very questionable, go to the database and you will read alot about him - there is a saying - no training is better than bad training.

Lee

wolfstraum.net

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
MOST clubs are "at capacity" - there is only so much time in a day and the helper can only work so many dogs a day. A newbie, with a dog from untitled - unproven - parents is often a big drain on the club, because so so many give up and quit after finding out that experienced people are able to make a judgement based on a pedigree that is more often than not validated. It is a many time played out scenerio! Some clubs, even full, will try to accommodate people with pups from the club or experienced people.

There is a trainer out around you that is very questionable, go to the database and you will read alot about him - there is a saying - no training is better than bad training.

Lee
I agree with Lee, and there is a trainer in Cinci,OH that is posting ads on my local CL...if they were all that great, why advertise?
I would still try to get with a club now, even if you don't have a pup...so much to learn and observe, I'd rather get a jump on it than wait til my puppy was mature enough(even if you don't bring your pup to club, it is worth going to learn).

Last edited by onyx'girl; 08-18-2012 at 04:12 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.